1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7 marathons, 7 continents (yes, Antarctica too!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by phoenixflamezzz, Dec 4, 2010.

1. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

Would you do it?

Just read an article on techcrunch about a Stanford student (who has a great backstory, too) whose in the process of running seven marathons on all seven continents all in the name of charity and was blown away! So much I shelled out a donation, and I'm normally stingy with that. :lol: Now I'm not sure how common it is to do 7 marathons on all continents, but surely not at such a young age and with such a good message.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/03/for-27-this-kid-will-do-whatever-you-want-in-antartica-on-tuesday/

Man, when I was a senior in college...you don't even want to know. :lol: And I love my son, but if only he had some of this "craziness" in him. :)

Great to see an example of some of the greatness that young people are capable of.

2. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Member

I would do it, yes. :) Seven marathons seems kind of doable. The article does not mention a time frame though...

There is an Australian guy who's doing something even more crazy - 52 marathons in 52 weeks, all over the world. Now that is crazy...

3. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

Oh my god. :scream:

4. chatsworth

chatsworth Banned Member

52??? in 52 weeks??? How is that possible? I would imagine it would take you at least a week to recover from one...

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl:

(I'm not laughing at you, I was thinking of myself uttering these words.)

6. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I ran one in mid-October and it took me at least a week to recover fully. The really bad stuff (chafing, walking without limping, and OMG stairs...) was gone within a few days, but my body was yelling at me for running it for quite some time. :lol: It took a good 4 weeks after that to have any desire to run again... but this is really cool. I like that I have the ability to brag about a marathon, but running one on all 7 continents is just awesome! And something that I wouldn't mind attempting to accomplish... :D

7. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

8. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Jaq, how about Berlin Marathon? Am planning to do it this year again (the inline marathon that is). Want to go to Berlin together? We could cheer each other :p

9. Jackie Sparrow

I don't think I'll be doing a full marathon any time soon ;) When is it? Can you do half?

10. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

It's 24/9 for inline marathon (which am doing full) and 25/9 the running marathon (where I could stand aside and cheer for you:)

11. Jackie Sparrow

Nope, sorry, we will have to postpone for a few years ;)

12. Choupette

Choupette Well-Known Member

Terry Fox ran one on one leg every day for many days... I guess it's possible, but of course he's probably not going to beat records!

13. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Hey, Eddie Izzard (love him!) ran 43 marathons in 51 days for Sports Relief. There was a BBC documentary on it which was very good.

14. Jackie Sparrow

How is that human possible?

15. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Member

He completed the 50th one this past weekend, actually and has managed to have some great adventures in the process as well. He posts regular updates on his Facebook and Twitter, which should give you an idea of how he does it.

http://runlikecrazy.com/
    @RunLikeCrazy

16. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Member

I know, right? :lol:
    Used to be me too, not that long ago.

Then came "I want to do it, and I'm doing it, no matter what, just once." Everything went to plan, apart from the last two words...

17. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Well, he walked a lot at the beginning. And he had a lot of physical issues- his feet took a terrible beating. But he ran his last marathon in 4 hours so he got much better as he went along.

18. Jackie Sparrow

I see. I thought he ran all of them. :p

19. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Ooof, that's how long it took me to run my first and only marathon. :lol: