7.2 quake in Baja California

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by reckless, Apr 5, 2010.

1. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

CNN Link

No word on the situation in Mexico. We felt a long shaker in Los Angeles, and there have been a lot of aftershocks and triggered quakes throughout the area.

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Oh my God. That's so sad.

:(

Was anybody hurt?

3. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

My brother just posted on facebook about the aftershocks he has been experiencing.

Stay safe!!

4. reckless

I was seeing a production of Dreamgirls at one of the major theaters downtown when the big quake hit. When it started, people began looking around like "is that a quake?" and then it just kept going. Eventually, a few people got up, but most of the audience just kept looking around and then watching the lights above the performers, which were swaying all over the place. It was the grand finale of the show and even the actors began looking up at the lights. I was amazed that none of them broke character and they finished the song and the rest of the show without interruption.

I told my mom that it was an "earth-shattering performance."

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  5. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

:drama: :lol: ;)

Seriously though, good to know you're safe.

When I lived in Southern California, I'd take a look at the USGS "latest earthquakes" page from time to time and that area - Imperial County in California and the adjoining region of Baja south of the US/Mexico border where the Colorado River empties out into the Gulf of California - was always flaring up with small earthquakes in the 3's and 4's. Not a seismologist here, but it looks like they were all leading up to a bigger one like today's.

Similarly, IIRC, there was a moderate quake in the high 4's in Chino Hills when I lived nearby not long ago, and in the months leading up to it, I remembered hearing about tons of smaller quakes in the 2's and 3's.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

7. reckless

Already being discussed here.

8. reckless

The Cal-Tech spokeswoman (Lucy Jones aka "The Earthquake Lady") just said that the most surprising thing about the quake is how quiet it has been in Southern California for the past 15 years. Thanks. I won't be sleeping well tonight.

9. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

So Cal maybe, but the Guadalupe Victoria area in BC(near the epicenter) is a hotbed of activity. I have family in the area and last year it felt like everytime I visited(at least 5 times), the earth shook. An aunt joked that everyone is so happy when we visit, the earth moves just for us. :lol: :yikes: We even talked about how all these little quakes had to be leading to something bigger. :eek::scream:

They've apparently been getting quite a few (small) aftershocks throughout the day. I finally managed to get a hold of one of my cousins via txt. They basically don't have electricity or water and the interior of the house "looked like a bomb hit it." They are thankfully all ok.

Here's hoping everyone else is ok as well.

10. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Such a violent world we live in, in more ways than one!

11. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Everything fine here in Tijuana, just south of the epicenter of the earthquake

it was the most intense one we have had in like 25 years to date, at least on my 30 years I´ve never experienced something like this before, it longed like a minute with the same intensity. Fortunately no damages or life loss was reported in Tijuana where I live

Situation in Mexicali, just some miles away from the epicenter were a little bit worst with shout outs in energy, water and telecomunications though this monday morning things are settling down and ´only´two person died

Lots of replicas of the earthquake have been happening but no worse than the original one, we live in an earthquake zone so we must be prepared.

Megi and (deleted member) like this.
  12. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I definitely felt it here in L.A. area. It was a strange one though, long, but no jolt...just rocking back and forth like you were on the ocean. I even felt a bit seasick afterwords.

I wish the best to those in and near Mexicali.

13. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

That´s exactly how it felt it, you were like dizzy and seasick afterwards because it was of an oscilatory nature.

Today we had 2 replicas during early hours but I did not felt them at all, guess I had a good or heavy sleep.

14. Katyaa

Katyaa New Member

My prayers are with the people in those areas, as someone living in Chile myself I know what it's like being in that situation

15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

During one of the earthquakes last year, I was at The Bridge in the middle of watching Star Trek with a friend. (Too bad it wasn't during one of the bigger action scenes, that would have been AWESOME.) People looked around like, "Hmm, what do we do now?" but then the shaking stopped and the movie kept going, so we settled back down to finish watching it. :rofl:

This latest one, I was walking a few blocks from the beach with my bf and I didn't feel a thing. He thought he felt something, but didn't speak up until I had the local news on later and they were talking about the earthquake. At the time, he just thought he was going crazy. :lol:

My dad still called at 11:30pm to make sure I was okay. :p

During the Caltech press conference, they said that a triggered earthquake in the LA area (a 4-pointer) was possible in the following days, so we have to keep a heads up about that.

Hope everyone in Mexico is okay!