5 logical fallacies that make you wrong more than you think

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by luna_skater, Nov 2, 2011.

1. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

2. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

That was a fun read. I don't have any of those problems, of course ... everyone really is out to get me.

3. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

So far I've just read the first two pages, between working.

I tend to operate on the assume that people mean what they say and are trying to act as best they can according to what they know and believe, which may not be the same as me.

Obviously I know there are exceptions, but it's not my default assumption.

Thus, for example, my tendency to approach analysis of skating scoring in terms of trying to understand what the officials may have been thinking according to the rules.

Whereas many fans tend to assume that all officials are guilty of wrongdoing, one way or another, and will look for evidence of cheating, bias, or incompetence first before considering that there might have been a good reason for the scores given.

Since we have different approaches to interpreting the officials motivations, when debating with each other about the results we also end up questioning each other.

But I still think that fans who look for bad judging aren't lying . . . I think they're hypothesizing scenarios that make sense to them within their worldview. I do think they're often incapable of recognizing good judging because they're not looking for it and not interested in finding it.

'Cause we all know how conflict-free sports discussions always are. Especially in figure skating. ;)

4. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Cracked articles only ever have 2 pages. :lol:

5. missflick

missflick New Member

That was really entertaining.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Loved the article.