4 CDN national team members retire

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Jun 15, 2011.

1. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

2. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Shawnie :wuzrobbed. I for one will miss his creative programs and performance quality. Not too many amateur skaters around who performed their competitive programs as well as he did.

I was hoping Diane would stick around for one more year instead of ending her career after the downer she had last season, but focusing on school is always a good idea.

4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm sad about Shawn..

I'm not surprised about Diane because she didn't even come to Nationals.

5. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I am surprised about Joey Russell. I thought he was on his way up in the world... I'm very surprised with this decision.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Johnson retires from amateur skating

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks for the article links, victorskid and shutterbug!

victorskid, I reposted your link on page 3 of the "Shawn Sawyer Calls it a Career" thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78228

In case you or anyone else missed it, here's the link to the earlier GSD thread about Joey Russell retiring: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79013

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

There was an article in the 6/18 print edition of the Brandon Sun that opened with the sentence: "Virden's Kaleigh Hole never saw it coming." The full article is not available online, but it implies that she may not have been forewarned of her partner Adam Johnson's retirement.

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

A couple of quotes from the print edition:

Kaleigh plans to skate singles and attend the University of Western Ontario in the fall. She will keep her eye out for a new partner.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Finishing third at Canadians and making the world teamwas the probably the best season Joey could envision for himself. Just making it through to the FS was probably a thrill for Joey and although I'm sure he would have preferred to have finished above 24th - last place - he probably didn't ever expect to get there.

Joey has announced his retirement with grace and gratitude and seems to be complete with regard to his amateur career.