# 37 Tessa & Scott: Thank You So Much

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Emdee, Feb 17, 2014.

1. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I agree. I was worried for them in 2010...they were playing poorly then too.. maybe they're slow starters.

2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

They were playing poorly in 2002 too.

Of the two big matches tomorrow, I would prefer Brad Jacob et al win, although I do find David Murdoch really dreamy. If Team Canada loses in Men's Hockey tomorrow, so be it.

In terms of Sweden/Finland, I think Finland has it.

3. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

This is sort of off topic but Bev Smith just released this: http://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2014/02/20/yet-more-rot-in-the-state-of-sochi/ I think in companion to her original entry "Something's Rotten in the state of Sochi"

Excerpt:

4. kirbs

kirbs New Member

Actually, I think you're the only one ON topic ;)

As for the hockey though, definitely will be great games for both semis with two intense rivalries. I'd put Sweden over Finland on paper, but then again, Russia would've won on paper, too. I'm more glad the women won (in a great game!), I tend to enjoy the women's tournament more in the Olympics anyways. But maybe that's partly because there isn't the perpetual fear that they'll lose in the quarters or semis and come away with nothing.

ETA: A couple more GIFs from the hockey game, featuring a very exuberant Scott. And you can see Tessa this time!
    https://24.media.tumblr.com/f807ad9ccbc0641707eaabe2fd2a9be4/tumblr_n1bbdahWjd1svt3k3o1_400.gif
    https://31.media.tumblr.com/32fd3a3c2480215c5ecd7d6bf31599cd/tumblr_n1bbdahWjd1svt3k3o2_r1_400.gif

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  5. *Ice Princess*

*Ice Princess* Member

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Don't you know, we're all supposed to stop fighting and just be thankful there have been two North American teams at the top for so many years... :scream:

Yes to all of this. Kurt may know nothing about ice dance, but he knows about good blades, about footwork, rhythm... it's amazing how all of these commentators forget all about those qualities when it comes to discussing ice dance.

7. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

May I remind all of you that your thread is about Virtue and Moir and NOT the Olympics in general? I don't want to move this thread to the Oly forum, but.

8. blueglass

blueglass New Member

All these pictures are wonderful. Scott and Patrick look like trouble with a capital T when they're together - no wonder Tessa sat in the row behind them with Alex Paul :lol: I wonder if Megan and Eric are at the ladies competition? Tessa has become quite a star with Canadians I think - even curler Jennifer Jones remarked about how great it was to be at the Olympics with athletes like Tessa Virtue. I'm really impressed with how Tessa and Scott have conducted themselves in interviews. If the media want to take their remarks and run with them, there's not much they can do about it. Instead of belittling VM, the American media should be trying to get to the bottom of the judging allegations since it implicates the USFSA - why hasn't the French magazine writer been tackled about the story's sources?

It's amazing how VM, Kim, and Chan are a cut above everyone else - even if they don't win. I thought Yuna should have won, with Carolina second and Adelina third. It seems jumps are trumping everything else now. But, these games seem to be about making Russia feel good.

9. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

10. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

it's interesting that korean fans are more pro v/m, while japanese fans are more pro d/w.

love this equation upthread: T/D + GORDEEVA/GRINKOV = VIRTUE/MOIR

11. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

only to the stupid.

Torvill & Dean and Gordeeva & Grinkov are the Goddesses and Gods of Ice Dance and Pairs. Virtue & Moir no matter how great are merely mortals.

12. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

In your humble opinion?

13. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Or the young. I'm old enough to remember T&D & G&G but my nieces aren't and think they skate "old fashioned" whenever I make them watch programs on youtube. I'm not saying I agree but to a later generation, V&M can be their T&D.

14. parapluies

I know some Japanese fans who have their own little fangroup for Tessa and Scott! I think the Japanese just love Figure Skating no matter who is skating.

15. parapluies

:rofl: I think people compare them to TD and GG is because of their skating style. I hear like GG, Tessa and Scott have kisses in their performace. We don't know however if Marina deliberately choreographed those kisses or they were spontaneous. Im going with the former. We also know Zoueva keeps on showing Moir videos of Grinkov.

16. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

then equating d/w to t/d by some d/w ubers is more stupid

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  17. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

18. parapluies

Yes. V/M have TD ethereal classic style and they also have GG romantic style. It is a mixture. I think the next thread title should be "No matter what, I love you."

19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I saw T&D skate live, and watched many competitions, and "ethereal" is not a descriptor I'd ever have used.

20. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

No humility there more like overinflated opinion!

21. parapluies

But they are classic. To me classic is etheral, sublime.

22. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

You know, at the end of the day if we've participated in FS or followed it for a while we know that the judging can be :blah:. Not pointing fingers here.

But the sport itself is not :blah:. It is an amazing endeavour that takes years of commitment to acquire the technique that makes the art appear easy. Watching the top skaters is a privilege. So kudos T&S. Thanks for your commitment, and I hope you continue to enjoy the sport on whatever level makes sense to you. (And thanks to all the other skaters as well.)

23. kirbs

kirbs New Member

24. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

25. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

That #26 photo is stunning. Tessa's arm movements are to die for, really. And one never wonders if Meryl and Charlie ever did it.

Xiaoxue likes this.
  26. parapluies

27. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

:rofl: On another front, thank you Shayii

28. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I honestly don't think I could love Scott Moir more than hearing that he said that too her. <3

29. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

True...i just wondered if they were doing something more covert. Guess not.
    With V&M, they should have hit back at knocks on their 'deteriorating technique' in 2012/2013 (they made mistakes because of the difficulty of their material, a level of difficulty that was not approached by any of their competitors), about Tessa's injury, etc. Actually, when they started losing on PCS, SC should have emphasized their superior skating skills, posture, line, sense of movement. I just cannot fathom how they could sit back and let all of this happen, especially after seeing some of the agressive PR campaign mounted against them.

Anyways, ita that watching these top skaters is a privilege. I just hope that the discussions on the issues in the judging continue so that things improve. And i really hope fewer people frame it as a matter of preference when there are specific things about sound technique that make it sound technique and there are criteria laid out in CoP (though yes, the rules could stand to be more specific) that are supposed to elevate this to something beyond personal preference.

30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

After watching yesterday I believe that it doesn't matter what was done on the ice. It was what was done off the ice that counted.
    So honestly I am glad that they had two wonderful skates.