3 women abducted as teens a decade ago found alive in Cleveland; 3 brothers arrested

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, May 7, 2013.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I'm on my iPod Mini and learning the ropes on it still, otherwise I'd share the link, anyway... If you go over to CBC.ca, you'll find an article on how that idiot is now being investigated on her "handling" of the call. A transcript of the entire call is over there too.

This entire story is just unbelievable and while we toss around the term hero these days, Amanda Berry is w/out a doubt one. Now the really hard road starts. Getting their lives back and also adjusting to the World of Today.

2. duane

duane New Member

I'm sure that if Amanda hadn't been so desperate to escape, she would have first asked Charles if he had any priors. :rolleyes:

3. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I read that the police had actually been to the home a few times but since nobody answered they never followed up! One call was someone saying it looked like a woman w/a baby was in there and looking like they wanted out. By the time cops showed up, nobody answered so away they went. SICK. SCARY. (Someone could have been disabled or died of CO2 poisoning, etc.) Meanwhile, we all know of cases where child protective services or the police have to actually go in a home briefly just to follow up on false complaints made by psycho exes, nasty neighbors, haters, etc. even when they know it is bogus and just clogging up the system and taking workers time/tax money.
    In this case, nobody answers so it's just "Oh well"........
    Infuriating all around!!
    I heard the young ladies all got in the car willingly.
    Sickos prey on any age. Think of women joggers who have vanished, or were in their apt. one minute and gone the next.
    Hope they will all come home safely!

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I just saw a Spanish speaking man on the news who said Charles Ramsey didn't show up until after he had already pulled Amanda and her child out and they were already on the phone with 911.

5. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Saw that on Anderson Cooper earlier, two neighbors say it was the Spanish gentleman who pulled Amanda from the house, not Charles Ramsey, he didn't cross the street until she was already on the phone with 911

6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

At the time that Johnny disappeared several other 12 year olds were abducted and brutally murdered in the Omaha area and John Joubert was tried, convicted and put to death for those murders, including one in Maine. I have always thought that there might be a connection although no physical connection had been made. The day of his arrest John was near a pre-school where my son was in the car with his baby sister who was to drop off another child in her care.
    I called 911 about 6 weeks ago when my husband fainted and I could not get a BP reading. The operator was extremely helpful and kind. I do think it like in life, you get the bad with the good

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I believe 911 operators are told not to show emotion as they do not want to add to the emotional upset of the caller, but I do agree the 911 operator should had remained on the line with Amanda until the police arrived just to make sure her kidnapper didn't show up and grab her again.

8. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I wonder if that is how Gina was kidnapped, she thought she was going with someone she knew and could trust.

9. moojja

moojja Active Member

10. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That's what the son suspects. It would explain why no one saw her being kidnapped off a busy street in broad daylight...she wasn't. She got into the car willingly thinking he'd drive her home, but he then kidnapped her instead.

As well as feeling sorry for those girls, I feel so sorry for Castro's kids. Imagine finding out that your father had kidnapped your best friend and held her for 9 years? Or that when you visited a few times a year, there were women locked up there and you had no idea? His kids didn't have much contact with him after he tried to kill their mother in 1993 after she had brain surgery. Charming man :scream:

11. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

How did Amanda give birth to her child? I'm guessing it wasn't at a hospital *shudder*:(

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

My guess is she gave birth at the house and the other women were ordered to help with the delivery. I heard on CNN yesterday that one of the girls had been threatened with death if the baby didn't survive. Apparently there were five pregnancies during the past ten years but only one resulted in a live birth.

13. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

They reported last night that the older girl, Michelle, was forced to help Amanda deliver the baby in a small children's pool (so as to contain all of the blood, amniotic fluid, etc.) The baby stopped breathing for a bit and Castro threatened to kill them if the baby didn't survive.

Michelle also reported that she had five pregnancies- all resulting in miscarriage after Castro repeatedly punched her in the stomach and starved her :(

I hope this man rots in Hell.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  14. genegri

genegri Active Member

Nothing, absolutely nothing, can punish that man enough. But I hope we try.

If that's not pure evil, I don't know what is.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I can't figure out why there was an immediate focus on all three brothers, and now only is charged. They must have had reason to bring in all three - it had to have come from the women - so what's changed?

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Um...if the police don't have probable cause they can SEE (not "a woman with a baby was in the house and the observer thought she looked like she wanted to go outside", which could have a lot of explanations that don't involve foul play) they can't just bust down doors and go charging in. And it would be hard to get a warrant based on "We had a call about someone in the house, but when we arrived no one answered and there was no evidence of a break-in, fire, someone in imminent distress..." Especially if they'd been IN the house during any of the kidnapping searches and not found anything, they had no reason to think there was anything going on. The guy clearly had them well hidden and was an accomplished liar. The police aren't psychic and they do have rules about probable cause.

As for why the third victim didn't get as much attention--again, unless there's evidence of foul play, when an adult disappears, there's only so much the police can do. Adults can voluntarily disappear if they want to, minors can't.

17. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Exactly. The police didn't believe she'd been abducted. She was never listed as missing because when she disappeared, they investigated and found she'd probably left of her own accord. It seems that she didn't have the happiest home life and she still hasn't been reunited with her family because of it.

18. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Perhaps all three were just there at the house, when the police went to arrest Ariel?

19. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

They're also wanted for other misdemeanours and are still being held because of those...maybe there was an assumption they were involved and after talking to the women the police realised they weren't?

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I heard one report a while back that Michele's brother had visited her and it is her mother she is refusing to see. I hope that us true because she needs someone with her and not to be alone.

21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

The Daily Mail, not known for its journalism, has this

Sounds like she had a less than happy home life before she disappeared and then a horrible, horrible time in captivity. I hope she can have a happy life after this!

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

So sad :( If the poor woman has severe facial injuries it might not be a pretty picture - I do hope the media does not go crazy trying to get a picture of her.

23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Me too.

Apart from the one released when Amanda was reunited with her sister, there haven't been any other pics so far. Amanda, her daughter and Gina all hid their faces when they returned home.

I'm sure they'll give interviews at some point, if they want to, but I doubt that's high on their to do list right now. There's a lot of emotional healing that needs to be done. The media hanging around outside their houses isn't going to hasten that at all...

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like Michelle's mother stressed herself out about her missing daughter all that much if her neighbours had no idea about Michelle. Barbara Knight also seems to have her hands full already so even if she is genuine, I'm nor sure Michelle will get the love, attention, and patience she will need on her long road to recovery if she lived with her mother.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't know if I'd hold that alone against her. Not everyone likes to talk about their losses and sorrow, and since she had other children perhaps she chose to focus on energies on them, for their own benefits and hers.

26. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

27. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

She searched for her daughter for years after the police refused to register her as a missing person. She made up and handed out fliers at her own expense, and continued to do it long after she left Ohio. I don't think you can say anything about the love and attention she needs and deserves from the lack of neighbourly gossip and an article in the Daily Mail, which I refuse to even call a newspaper...

28. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Watching all the news reports, I'm stunned that they are repeatedly saying the child's name. She's a minor. Isn't that some sort of violation??

I don't recall the names of Jaycee Dugard's children ever being released.

29. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

The reason why all three brothers were taken in is explained in this article.[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI] http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/05/police_report_michelle_knight.html[/FONT]
    [FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]Apparently, the culprit and one brother were found together and one asked if it was related to the third brother's own issues. Smart move- easier than letting him go and trying to find him later if there were questions.[/FONT]
    [FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
    [/FONT]

30. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member