3 women abducted as teens a decade ago found alive in Cleveland; 3 brothers arrested

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, May 7, 2013.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Well she could be a Kardashian :p

He's pretty quick-witted. That quote is definitely one for the ages :)

2. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Am I the only one kind of disturbed by the attitude of the 911 operator? Maybe its because I am only hearing short clips on the news, but from what I have heard she was very dismissive of Amanda. And then basically hung up on her and didn't stay on the phone with her until the cops got there?! Amanda's telling her "I was kidnapped for 10 years and I'm free and I'm here now" and the operator was just like "okay talk to the police when they get there" and was ready to hang up on her until Amanda said "hello" again, like she thought the operator hung up?! And then she tells her that a car is coming "when one is free". Are you kidding me??

Maybe its just the clips I am hearing, but I thought the 911 operator's behavior in taking the call was awful. If there's a clip of the entire 911 call, I'd be interested in hearing in the whole call, because what I am hearing on the news is very disturbing. Like with that 911 operator who took the call about those two little boys whose father killed them and burned the house down when that social worker was frantic trying to get some help. Listening to Amanda pleading for help and the 911 operator's dismissive behavior makes me angry every time I hear that clip.

I am glad they were rescued and are safe and the call did get the help required, but its just very disturbing listening to it.

3. duane

duane New Member

I was expecting this reply! :lol:

Bailey, I too was disturbed by the 911 operator. Perhaps she never heard of the missing girl, or didn't take the call all that seriously because the story is so unbelievable.

4. bek

bek Guest

Its definetly terrible, but who knows what kind of calls the 911 operator gets every day.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The 911 operator could have stayed on the line with her, and in my experience they are usually good at their jobs but never friendly. She probably thought it was a prank, and did not take it too seriously. But not taking calls seriously have cost both police officers and victims of crime their lives.

6. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I listened to the recordings and thought the 911 operator that Amanda spoke with was efficient and did her job, but nothing more. That's not a bad thing-the cops were there within minutes, which w more important (IMO) than stroking the caller. I agree she should have remained on the line until the officers arrived, but perhaps that's not the policy in Cleveland. (On star always offers to stay on the line, ime.)

Amanda was very distracted on the phone call, which may have made the operator think it was a prank. I think that her daughter was interrupting the call with talking or whining. Absolutely understandable on the child's part, don't get me wrong. It just didn't help the situation.

i have to say that the good neighbor's recorded 911 call was filled with cursing and drama. He sounded like a drunk, but that operator took him seriously. However, the neighbors patience was severely lacking.

The powers that be in the city are investigating the 911 call center and the operator. I think there's room for improvement in their scripting. The operator didn't ask who else was with Amanda, if she was in a safe place, if anyone was injured or in danger. It's possible that others in the neighborhood were also calling in, so perhaps all the operator needed to do was dispatch the police since others were also providing information. See what comes of the investigation.

7. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

To me, it's easy to focus on the 911 operators. Who still did their jobs. It wasn't like they were unprofessional. The police, on the other hand, have a lot more questions to answer for.

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Repeat Post.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I have only had to call 911 once in my life, and it was not a great experience. The paramedics did come quickly, but the operator was condescending and snippy. My neighbour had taken a very bad fall - I honestly didn't know if he was alive - and the endless questions that I couldn't answer or were completely irrelevant only served to increase my anxiety. She took forever to say that someone was actually on the way, or I would have hung up on her.

(My neighbour was fine by the way, thank goodness.)

11. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

My ex-husband's 911 call and the 911 operator's instructions to him saved my life. I really believe it's just like anything in life. There are good operators and bad operators, and even the good ones have bad days. But having a bad day as a 911 operator could have far more serious consequences than the average job.

More than anything, this story makes me angry ... angry at the perpetrators of such a horror, angry at the cops, angry at the neighbors (even though they may have done nothing wrong). I know I should feel happy that these women are still alive, and I certainly AM happy they're alive, but all I can do now is feel angry. I would NOT be a neutral juror in this case!

O-

12. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I heard several of the people from that neighborhood express very mixed feelings -- happiness that those three young women were now free but also shame that it happened in their neighborhood and that they were not aware of it to intervene much earlier.

13. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I know Charles Ramsey (the dude who helped save Amanda) said any reward should go to the women but maybe McDonalds could give him a commercial spot. Mickey D’s already targets urban communities so it would fit right in.

14. dardar1126

^^Twitter - 05/07/13^^:

snoopy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I hope he gets something from someone. He mentioned that money problems had previously kept him up at night, so he's clearly not well off.

16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I suspect McDonalds might think a commercial would appear to capitalize on the victim's horror, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of corporate award (with a financial reward attached) or at least an awful lot of free hamburgers. I heard that he wanted any rewards to go to the victims and I was even more impressed by his behavior in this.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

My gut reaction is to agree that a commercial is not the way to go, and I also think a reward isn't quite right either. In theory, he did what any good citizen and neighbour should do, and I'd hate for people to think they should only help others if there's some monetary gain involved.

But I do like the idea of giving him and his family some sort of citizenship award if they have one, and certainly all the burgers and fries they want :)

18. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Charles Ramsey did what anyone (or most people) would do so in that sense he isn't heroic. He didn't go into a burning building or jump into a lake to rescue someone out of a sinking car. But how he has handled himself afterwards has impressed me very much - from taking Amanda into his home & calling 911 & making her feel safe to refusing a reward. But his town should certainly give him some kind of citizenship award & I think he would be great on the talk show circuit. He & Ellen would be a scream together.

19. dardar1126

I agree. I had a similar discussion with my mom last night. Mr. Ramsey is admirable for taking action, and for not thinking it was none of his business.

But I think people use the term "hero" too often and too loosely these days.

20. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I agree with the word admirable, but probably not heroic. However, I'm not sure most people would do anything- too often people just go about their own business and don't go an extra effort to help people in need, especially in a situation described as "I thought it was a domestic violence sort of thing", neighbors are heard screaming, and people ignore.

21. dardar1126

Very true.

22. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I would tend to disagree on the neighbor not being a hero. Yes, in a civilized and decent society, it would just be what anyone else would do; however, it seems more and more in the U.S., that is not the world we live in. People are (speaking generally) very self-centered, and don't really go out of their way to help each other out; I am willing to use the word "hero" for someone who goes above and beyond, like Mr. Ramsey did, when so many people would have just ignored the whole situation.

23. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, press conference, Ariel Castro charged with 4 counts total of I believe 3 counts of rape and one charge of kidnapping (that doesn't make sense, shouldn't he be charged with kidnapping all three), BUT NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING charged against his two brothers. I am ???

24. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing (hoping) that since the investigation is just in the beginning stages, that further charges will follow, including charges against the other two brothers. Scum, all of them.

25. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I hope you are right. It makes no sense at all that only one of the three was charged.

After the girls/women tell their stories, it will be clear what happened and the other two would be charged too, I think.

26. dardar1126

Twitter:

27. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

That is a great example as to why many people are hesitant to help others. Him being convicted of domestic violence doesn't take away from what he did. I don't want to excuse what he was convicted of 10 years ago, but he didn't ask to be hurled into the spotlight. He shouldn't be put on trial of public opinion just for helping a woman in need.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

That was four counts of rape and 3 of kidnapping.

The other two have small misdemeanor charges which will be addressed in court tomorrow. And I hope they can hold them, otherwise I fear that they might scoot.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  29. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Michelle Knight's story kills me. The other two cases received significant attention, and it seems like those girls have at least some family to go back to. But Knight's own brother didn't know she had gone missing and she was not close to her mother. I hope she gets the support and help she needs.

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member