3 women abducted as teens a decade ago found alive in Cleveland; 3 brothers arrested

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, May 7, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Cleveland Plain Dealer article/coverage: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...ry_dejes.html#incart_river#incart_maj-story-1

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

This is an incredible story...reminds me of Jaycee Dugard's story out in California. As you recall Jaycee was abducted at age twelve and held for eighteen years; she also had children in captivity (two daughters). Apparently this little girl is six years old and the daughter of Amanda Berry. The details of their lives in captivity will no doubt be chilling.

3. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

Just read the news. Unbelievable.

4. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Amazing good news story this morning!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/women-missing-over-decade-found-alive-020738825.html#iMIMexi

Reporting that one of the brothers owned the house where the girls had been held captive Ariel Castro and he is believed to have been a school bus driver in the area.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Cheers to the neighbor who helped them escape and called the police :respec:

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This is wonderful news, but there is one thing that concerns me is the false hope it might give to countless other people whose children or other loved ones remain missing. An outcome like this is very rare.

7. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I just watched a video interview of the neighbor. He's a hoot.

8. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I think the one missing persons case that still sends chills through me after all these years is Johnny Gosch

9. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I am so happy for the family!

10. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 Well-Known Member

Wow...what an incredible story. Thankfully there was a neighbor that was able to help them escape from that nightmare...It's devestating that these women had to spend over a decade held captive by these monsters. I'm not sure I want to read the details of what they went through as I'm sure it's horrfying. The silver lining is that they're safe now.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Fascinating. This would make one heck of a movie. I wonder if the mom really did talk to her son, if she made it up or if it was a cruel prank.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. dardar1126

Twitter:

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

So happy that these women were found alive and another case of you never really know anyone. But how come there is so little information about the third victim Michele Knight?

14. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

My guess it that it's probably because there wasn't a whole lot of publicity about her disappearance, in contrast to the other two who went missing. Michelle Knight's family apparently thought that she had gone away of her own accord (because of what police told them) and while they did try to track her down, it wasn't the sort of massive ongoing search as for the other two (who were younger (both minors) when they were taken -- 16 or 17 and 14, vs. 19 or 20 for Michelle who was legally an adult).

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I guess I can understand that because I must admit when this story first broke, the first thing that crossed my mind was; " Oh no not another Brenda Heist story". But still tragic all the same that her story did not get as much attention. At least she is home now and safe.

16. dardar1126

17. skatingfan5

The police went to the house, but no one was apparently home (at least no one came to the door). Since the complaint against Castro (leaving behind a child from his bus) didn't go further, they never went back. Those poor women. I think that this was just a couple months before the third girl was taken, so if they had found the two already there, the third one wouldn't have even been taken. And judging by the time line, Amanda Berry wouldn't have gotten pregnant, much less have to give birth to her daughter (fathered by one of the brothers, I would assume). What a sad missed opportunity -- just like in the Jaycee Dugard case. :(

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

When I first heard this yesterday, Jaycee Dugard immediately came to my mind. What a horrible thing to happen to these young ladies! It's hard to imagine what kind of fear must have been instilled in them, that they were unable to escape for 10 years! After hearing these stories, I feel that people need to look out for each other- their neighbors, any suspicious behavior, etc. It's hard to hide anything for 10 years and there jerks were able to do that to their innocent victims.

19. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Saw a report that said they found a name of another women written on the basement wall with "rest in peace" scribbled near it. So there may be another abducted woman involved. Also apparently the women had at least five pregnancies during their captivity, with most ending in miscarriage.

The daughter of one of the captors apparently is serving time in prison for trying to murder her daughter.

20. skatingfan5

Where did you see this report. If true :yikes:.

I'd read that earlier today -- it said she had tried to slash her baby's throat. :(

21. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Me too, I always wonder if he's still alive and what happened to him.

22. dardar1126

23. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I have been wondering about her too. They have not even shown a picture of her, and they don't mention her or her family.

24. bek

bek Guest

He is. Hopefully he'll get a reward etc for finding. You can tell he's got a heart of gold.

25. dardar1126

Twitter:

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  26. agalisgv

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...times-sources-article-1.1337398#ixzz2SesTHHXv

27. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Sadly, none of those details is a surprise. You knew they were being kept as sexual playthings and punch bags. And it's even sadder to think that there are probably many women/girls (and probably young boys/men too, but a small mercy is that they can't get pregnant, have miscarriages, and birth babies in these situations)who are currently being held the same way all over the world. And as more of these situations are unearthed, more crazy people get ideas to do the exact same thing or worse.

I hope they are allowed privacy to collect themselves, get help and get on with their lives... and provide damn good evidence to put these guys away for life. Can you imagine being the mom of these 3 men? I have no idea how I could face up to having not just 1, but 3, sons like this...

28. agalisgv

Apparently the mom was repeatedly beaten by the father of the three suspects, suffering broken ribs, nose, etc. I assume she divorced the father.

29. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Not surprising. These three @ssholes had to learn extreme disrespect for women somewhere. Too bad mom didn't leave a bit earlier. (Like before she had the three boys.)

Any woman staying in an abusive relationship for the sake of her kids is teaching her kids a sh*tty lesson.

30. duane

duane New Member

"There was nothing exciting about him...uh, until today!"..."Bro, I knew something was wrong when a pretty little white girl ran into a black guy's arms!"

I LUV this guy!!