3-turns

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by MR-FAN, Sep 30, 2010.

1. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Hello all!

Soooo, I want to start doing 3-turns (Wheee!) and I was wondering which 3-turn is traditionally the easiest to learn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the following qualify as 3-turns for going from forward to backwards:

left forward outside edge to left backward inside edge
    left forward inside edge to left backward outside edge
    right forward outside edge to right backward inside edge
    right forward inside edge to right backward outside edge

How would you rank those 4 possible 3-turns from easiest to hardest?

Thanks sooo much!

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Depends on your strong side. I believe that for a right handed person, the RFO would be easiest, followed by the LFO. I'm weird in that I am usually stronger on my left foot even though I am a CCW skater.

Either way, the outside turn is generally easier than the inside turn.

Good luck with your threes! I am about 16 years into skating, and tackling the European Waltz three turns. I thought I knew how to do three turns in my sleep. I was wrong.

3. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I agree The outside threes are probably easier to learn first.

Most people prefer to turn counterclockwise, which would be the left forward outside three (and right forward inside, when you're ready to try inside threes).

Learn how to do forward threes on two feet first, in both directions, to get the feel for the upper body movement. Then when you're ready to try them on one foot, practice the outside ones in both directions. You'll soon figure out which direction you prefer, but you'll want to learn both of them anyway.

You might have trouble controlling the back inside edge afterward, in which case you can change feet to push onto the back outside edge on the other foot, which will be easier to control. In your good direction, that will be your landing edge for jumps. After you get comfortable with the three turns, waltz jumps won't be far off if you want to jump.

4. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Thanks all!
    Thanks :) I don't really know what 2-foot 3 turns would be like, but I'll give it a shot!

When you say trouble controlling the back inside edge, do you mean I'll end up on too deep of an inside edge? Because this seams to be my problem with my back inside edges. I guess my body likes it too much it just wants to go on it deeper and deeper, and the circle gets tighter and tighter, and people start thinking I'm trying to spin :p

5. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

What's that? :eek:

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Here's an instructional video that shows forward three turns on two feet and forward outside three turns holding the back inside edge afterward:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osbGrdxIrKQ

Holding the back inside edge like that is difficult -- it needs a strong "check" in the upper body after the turn. More knee bend after the turn will also help.

Here's an example of a skater practicing the Waltz Eight, an exercise that includes changing feet to the back outside edge after an outside three turn:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFfe0nyFbs

Here's a skater practicing the European Waltz (an intermediate-level compulsory dance) without a partner; it also includes outside three turns with change of foot afterward:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KAxmwOviw

That will give you the idea of what I mean by changing feet, but you won't want to try the whole patterns, especially the European, until you have more skills.

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

For me, the easiest is the LFO, then RFI, then RFO and LFI. ;)

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

For me, personally,
    I'd say RFO then LFI, then LFO, then RFI.
    I am a right side dominant CW skater (so I like to turn like a lefty, due to a dance background which is the way righty's turn).

I believe traditionally, you begin work on both forward outside 3-turns, and then learn the inside 3-turns. You wouldn't just learn one foot or the other, though you'd likely prefer one or the other. (In USFSA the FO3s from standing still are in Basic 4, and the FI3s are in Basic 6, both are in Basic 8 moving.)

(For all the 3turns I'd say RFO, LFI, RBO, LBO, LFO, RFI, RBI, LBI for order of difficulty now, though of course I learned all the forward before the backward)

It's just called a "2 foot turn"- you learn the "down-up-down" bending of the knees. You really need a decent 2-foot turn before moving onto a 3-turn.

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'm a clockwise spinner, so I found RFO and LFI easier than LFO and RFI.

10. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I personallyfind inside 3 turns easiest. I have flat feet, not sure if that makes any difference though. Most of the kids I teach find LFO 3 turns easiest to start with. Biggest problem I find is that people do too much with their body to try to make the turn happen. The more bits of your body that are moving the harder it is to control. Less is more in this case.

11. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Thanks everyone!!!

So I guess generally people find front 3-turns easier than back ones, and outside 3turns easier than inside 3 turns. Left and right foot it seems depends on your stronger foot. So I'll be starting with forward left outside 3-turns :D

and THAAANNK YOUUU gkelly for the amazing instructional videos. Exactly what I was looking for!!! :respec:

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  12. LLOS

LLOS New Member

Me too! The LFI 3 turn was the first element I could do!