3-D movies are for suckers ... or perhaps just younger eyes

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Beefcake, May 3, 2010.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Gotta agree with Roger Ebert, re: his dislike of 3-D movies.

The extra charge seems is excessive, and I generally have a diminished "movie experience" due to the screen appearing darker and more cluttered (Alice in Wonderland, How to Train Your Dragon). I'd expected tehnology to make 3-D better after all these years, so I tried it again. Bad decision. Alice, in particular, was a visual mess ... the 3-D was less disappointing than the flick itself, but still I wish we'd have chosen the 2-D version.

Worst 3-D for me was Avatar -- oy, pressure headache. Have to admit, though, that 3-D worked for me for Beowulf -- perhaps because of the type of animation it used.

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I enjoyed A Christmas Carol in 3-D -- but I had an opportunity to get into a free screening. I don't know that I'd ever pay extra for it. If the movie doesn't hold up as a movie, I'm not going to enjoy it just because of fancy visuals.

3. mocha-ice

mocha-ice Active Member

Sadly I have never seen a 3d movie, nor will I ever be able too :( I have a lazy eye and some other problems with one eye, so all I see when I look through the glasses is a weird image that usually gives me a bad headache/makes me dizzy... so I really hope that 3d movies aren't going to be the majority of the movies coming out in the next while...

4. Nan

Nan Just me

3-D was a bit of a problem for me because I wear glasses and the new hard 3-D glasses don't fit very well over them. When I first went in to the the theater, I sat too close to the screen, but once I moved back, it became easier to see.

5. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a 3D movie either, and I'm not sure if I want to. But I did learn today that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, pt. 2 will be in 3D. That might get me to watch one... in 2011.

6. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of 3D at all, but I have to say that after being "forced" to see Alice in 3D, I was actually pleasantly surprised. It wasn't invasive and seemed to be done pretty tastefully and artistically. It's movies like Christmas Carol or Journey to the Centre of the Earth that I just can't stand. I didn't see Avatar in 3D, but I can only imagine what it was like, and I doubt I would have been a fan.

7. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I actually loved Avatar in IMAX 3D, but I think it is a waste for most films. I did really want to see an IMAX 3D documentary about the Hubble telescope. The trailer was astonishing, as the 3D effects made you feel like you really were in space.

8. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

When it comes to the new 3D televisions and 3D Blu-ray players coming out, I think they're going to be a passing fad. I just don't see them replacing 2D movies.

9. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I liked Avatar in 3D, and I've seen other 3D movies at IMAX in Munich, Las Vegas, Winnipeg, Toronto and Ottawa. I think they're pretty neat. The one in Munich gave me a bit of a headache, but I always thought that was because I got a really low seat and had to look up. Otherwise it was a movie about a young boy who arrives in New York in the early part of the 20th century. My eyes are kind of kooky, one good for distance, the other only good for reading, but really no problems because of the 3D.

10. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

No sucker here! The company I worked for gave me a copy of Avatar for free 3D and I still will not watch it!

11. reckless

I don't see 3D catching on because of its impact on the eyes can cause strain and headaches (and sometimes more serious problems). Samsung has already issued warnings for its 3D televisions and health issues are probably going to inhibit 3D videogames if playing for extended periods can cause problems for users.

12. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I have the same problem. I have to work *hard* to force my eyes to work in such a way that I can see the actual 3D image. Most of the time, I just see 15 versions of Johnny Depp or something.

13. liv

liv Well-Known Member

3D makes me feel ill. I feel dizzy, nauseated and then feel like I will pass out...and have. I didn't watch Avatar in 3D for that reason. I will not ever see things in 3D if I can avoid it. It's almost like it gives me seizures. Even video games and bright lights make me feel ill. New technology just doesn't cut it for my poor "simple" mind.

14. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I actually saw my first 3D movie on Saturday night - Clash of the Titans. I think I picked a bad one for my first experience; there was absolutely no reason for that movie to be in 3D and I barely even noticed it most of the time. I've heard really good things about Avatar in 3D, but not really about any of the other gazillion movies in 3D that have come out recently.

I really hated how much darker the picture was in 3D though. That was irritating.

15. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I refuse to watch them... Even the 3D stuff at Disneyland made me nauseous. I really hope it's a passing fad. There's movies I would have spent money on but they only came out in 3D where I live so I didn't go see them. I can't see it being good for you either.

16. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

What kind of more serious problems?

17. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I don't care for 3-D. It doesn't add a damn thing to the movie imo. If I had to compare it to anything, it's like those 'magic eye' pictures.

18. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

19. reckless

The most serious are seizures and strokes. You can read the Samsung warning that describes a bunch of the warnings and possible effects of 3D viewing.

20. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

About five years ago I saw "Santa and the Snowman" in my city's Science Center Omnimax theatre. The 3D gave me a serious headache and I had a hard time watching the entire movie. Something like Omnimax is visually cool enough without having to show 3D movies. Needless to say, the whole experience made me want to pass on all 3D.

21. genegri

genegri Active Member

My first 3D was year ago on an Imax screen in science museum and the quality was awful. Imax was good but the 3D made everything so blurred.

My second 3D experience was Avatar and it was much better. Cristal clear pictures and very neat 3D effect. I saw it on a normal screen, wishing there had been a true Imax movie theater near me that actual show current movies.

The third 3D movie was Alice in Wonderland. 3D or not, it was a total let down. Dumb script, meaningless plot, and plain acting.

I heard lots of good things about "how to train your dragon" in 3D so I am thinking I may want to test out my luck next with that movie.

22. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I actually heard from a co-worker that a lot of the hubble telescope IMAX film was computer generated, and not enough space visuals to make it worth it for her.

Back to topic, I don't like 3D either. It gives me a headache and just seems like a way to charge five dollars more for a movie.

23. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I like 3D. How To Train Your Dragon was really well done, but then I like the feeling of moving with the picture. I love the rides at amusement parks where your seat moves along with the 3D. I guess I'm in the minority though.