23 children killed in Indian school feeding program...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Buzz, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Apparently the food was tainted by some commonly used pesticides. The dead toll in now 23 with many sick in hospital. The government of India has an extensive poverty alleviation program but it is dogged by allegations of corrupt and waste. The school feeding program is part of that program. Hope they find who is responsible and prayers to the victims and their families.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23337445

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I saw this on a news feed this morning and was shocked there hasn't been more coverage. How very, very horrible for the community. :( May the children RIP and the families find peace.

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

This is awful :(. Hopefully better quality and safety testing will end up being put in place as a result, even though the article didn't make that sound very likely.

4. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

:( How very sad. So often it's the innocent who suffer most.

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I've been reading about this story...so sad, so tragic...those poor children...those poor families! :(

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Who poisons children?!?!?! :lynch:

:wuzrobbed

Sure there's corruption and waste, but insecticide doesn't usually find itself in human food when you're not looking. It isn't even a nutrition booster, like the Chinese used melamine for. It's POISON. Just WTF.

7. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

It's such a horrible situation. One of the cooks lost two of her children. I can't even imagine.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/07/18/indian-schoolchildren-lunch-insecticide.html

8. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Unbelievably sad.

9. dardar1126

Apologies...this story was about a different incident in Pakistan, not the one in India.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

very sad, hope those sickened make full recoveries

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Isn't that a different incident? This was in Pakistan, at someone's home; the other was in a school in India.

But both are unbelievably sad and horrible.

12. dardar1126

You're correct (thanks for catching that error)....that's what I get for posting at nearly 1:30 AM...apologies. Two separate, but equally horrible incidents. :(

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  13. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Yes they are. Both are horrifying and sad. :(

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

15. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

That makes more sense than the Yahoo story. That stated that a bottle of insecticide was found next to the cooking oil - but no explanation why it was there. If they were using empty insecticide bottles to store the cooking oil and the insecticide had been in a concentrated form meant to be mixed or diluted - that would be highly toxic.

It also stated that the principal of the school kept the food supplies at her house and fled when the news of the sick children reached her. She must have been buying adulterated food cheap and keeping the rest of the money for herself.

16. milanessa

I don't know how you came to that conclusion (at least based on what we know now), but I'm sure they'll track her down.

17. Anita18

Just...ugh why. :wall:

At work, I save empty bottles of chemicals to collect small plastic waste, but we only use it for waste. We don't even reuse it for other chemicals. And of course we're not eating/drinking from it.

Just....ugh.

18. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

I've been attending a local church for the last several months. What the pastor says, and what I read in the Bible, sound wonderful and inspiring. Unfortunately, I find that it all seems to fall apart in the face of reality. For me personally, this is particularly the case when I hear about innocent children dying -- whether it's those poisoned children in India; or the three young Chinese girls killed in the plane crash at San Francisco Airport (one of whom survived, only to be run over and killed by a fire engine); or that beautiful two-year-old girl who had a new esophagus constructed out of stem cells, only to later die of lung failure. What did those perfectly innocent children do to deserve such horrible and premature deaths? Absolutely nothing. "Crisis in Faith" are the operative words here for me.

19. milanessa

Age old question. Why do bad things happen to good, innocent people? That's part of the reason I'm areligious.

20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I understand how you feel, RickInSanJose, believe me. Sometimes it's hard for me to hold on to my faith too.

You know, though, when you really delve into the Bible, it's not ALL wonderful and inspiring. Horrible things happen there too. It's not just a record of sweetness and light -- it shows great evil being done, and then goodness breaking through and transcending evil. I mean, the central event is the murder of God Himself. After He'd spent all that time teaching and healing and loving people. It doesn't get any more evil than that! And then, when everything seemed lost, there's the resurrection of God from the dead.

I hope that helps you a little. It helps me when I'm feeling shaken.

(May I suggest reading some of Dorothy L. Sayers's theological works, if you can get hold of them? The Man Born to Be King is the best, but there are some good essay collections as well. She was a devout Christian -- and there've been few other modern writers who were more honest and realistic about the brutal reality of evil.)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread . . .

21. Anita18

I'm not religious, but I believe in a God that acts through people. It's so easy to destroy and so difficult to build (and rebuild), especially for a being that is so aware of time, that I feel a higher power must have given us the ability to be kind. God does not physically make things happen - we make things happen, and we have the ability to decide to do good or evil.

Of course, the scientist in me figures that we are so physically useless individually, that of course humankind evolved to be social and work together to survive, but there it is. :p

But yeah, even I have no answer for death that occurs through pure accident or negligence, even if it's so :wall: that I want it to be criminally stupid.

22. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Why would anyone buy used containers of a toxic chemical to put cooking oil in other than they were cheap? Even if the the person who put the oil in the container couldn't read the labels I'm assuming a school principal could. To me it shows a tremendous lack of concern for the students so I don't think she was saving money to spend on them.

The article I read also stated that one of the cooks told the principal the oil looked funny, but she insisted they use it. If it was a legitimate purchase why did she flee?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  23. milanessa

I never said she didn't bear some (most?) of the responsibility. I think she fled because she's scared and knows she's culpable because, at the very least, she is/was the principal but believe she'll be found.

24. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Depending on the school, not necessarily.

25. dardar1126

26. dardar1126

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23436348#TWEET832699

24 July 2013 Last updated at 09:35 ET

India deadly meal: Head teacher Meena Devi arrested

Excerpt:

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thank god they finally found her!

28. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Sadly, she may end up being a scapegoat. No one (teachers, principals etc.) wants to participate in the programme now, because they fear if anything goes wrong again, they will be blamed. This is in no way a good thing. I highly doubt the principal had anything to do with it, but I think she will be blamed regardless.

29. dardar1126

Twitter: