#22 Davis & White (Olympic Champions!): Shining, Shimmering, Splendid!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by brina, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

You guys haven't been paying attention. Bates has been posting funny tweets all the way back to when he and Charlie shared a house at UM. I don't know where anyone ever got the impression of him as robotic. I guess because he tends to look serious when he is skating.

2. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

If D/W go to Worlds and win, their competitive record will on paper be better than V/M's:

V/M: 1 Olympic gold, 2 World titles
    D/W: 1 Olympic gold, 3 World titles, 5 Grand Prix Final titles

How could they turn that down? :D

I also want D/W to have a proper audience for their presumably last competition, one that appreciates them. I refuse to think D/W's last competitive performance would be to the Sochi audience who didn't bother to stand. :mad:

carolina and (deleted member) like this.
  3. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

That's true, Japan has always been so receptive to Meryl and Charlie. Actually, the Japanese crowds are pretty great to all of the skaters. I wish the Olympics had been in Japan, that would have been magical.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I had to make my screen a bit smaller to see M/C.

Agreed. :) I also would like to see Schez. performed with the total abandon we're used to seeing. (I'm not knocking the Olympics performance by any means. )

5. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

D/W don't care about the Sochi audience. All they care about is us watching back home. If I were their adviser, I would tell them to get out now. They would probably beat V/M at the Worlds, but its not worth the risk. I guarantee you that V/M are just chomping at the bit to turn things around.

6. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Just 3 World titles for a US team is enough reason over DWTS and competing in Japan of course.:)

7. Terri

Terri Well-Known Member

I still wish he was skating with Emily, though.

8. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

Evan has really shined for me since he partnered with Chock. Even in their first interview together, you could just tell their personalities complimented each other. He never really seemed like a performer, even though he was funny off the ice, until he started skating with her.

As for DWTS, who cares about the whiners. Absolutely nothing about that show is fair...which is why the only thing on the line is a tacky trophy. How is an Olympic athlete, from any sport, on the same level physically to dance every day for 6-8 hours a day as some of the older competitors? How is a young extroverted musician, with natural dance rhythm, on the same level as some of the competitors with health issues? How are people with dance training, like Jennifer G, Sabrina, Kelly P, and that one girl from the Disney channel fair? It's not, but it's a fun competition and you need good dancers to make the show interesting. Comedians are great, but you wouldn't want to see hours of fail. I think some people need to take life less seriously.

I don't care about them having more titles than V/M.They're both incredibly decorated at this point, plus or minus one won't make a difference. I also think without V/M being there it will ring a bit hollow. I think it's a hard choice because it's in Japan and Japan has been better to them than their own country.

9. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

I agree as well. Also, both teams will be remembered equally because of the incredible rivalry they shared. I think for some to say one will be remembered more than the other is wishful thinking. Most won't be able to bring up one team without remembering the other. They're forever linked into the annals of history......

And Youtube :D

10. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

That's true: you really can't bring up one without the other. They're both excellent teams in their own right, but it's the rivalry that's really pushed the sport forward. I have to say, ice dancing won't be nearly as exciting without these two teams. I can't think of any other big rivalries in the discipline. Maybe Marina can stir something up...

11. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

12. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

13. icefan13

icefan13 New Member

I am so enjoying this moment in the sun for U. S. ice dance and for Meryl and Charlie! After so many years together and being so good for so long, it's exciting. I'm impressed that NBC really has given them plenty of coverage as America's ice darlings of these games. I was worried we would see minimal coverage along with bemoaning the lack of singles medalists.

14. Jessiebanana

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Yes, finally, well deserved coverage of an amazing team! :encore: :cheer:

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Sadly, that may be true. The 3 results supposed to be 'fixed' were the 3 results least needing fixing.

Don't be ashamed. You can't take responsibility for the actions of people over whom you have no control.

Yes, I want to see their performances received enthusiastically! And Japan has always loved them :)

17. Terri

Terri Well-Known Member

I'd prefer one last World title won in Japan over a DWTS appearance, but whatever makes them happy makes me happy. The article that mentions them staying Sochi to train makes me hopeful for a Worlds appearance.

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

19. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Active Member

Same here. I really don't care about whether they go on DWTS or anything else, for that matter. I'd love to see them compete one more time to close the season, and hopefully be more well-received, no matter what VM decide to do. If both teams compete, and DW finish second, it won't diminish their Olympic gold, or any of their other accomplishments. If DW complete in Japan and win without VM there, that's IMO no less of an accomplishment than the titles they won when VM were absent or at less than their best due to injury. A win is still a win.

20. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Active Member

Same here. They all made me laugh, but that one made me laugh the hardest.

21. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Be that as it may but if both were to compete and D/W would get only second, I don't want to imagine the outcry and finger-pointing that the Olympics were all fixed and that's proof. :yikes:

22. valpadana

valpadana New Member

First, many thanks!! Your threads are always so interesting and, above all, passionate but never exaggerate as others...
    Girls, please do you remember the beautiful pic where Meryl and Charlie are hand in hand during Medal Ceremony? I no more find it !!!!
    Please can you help me ? Thank you very much !:)

23. Jessiebanana

There are a few different pictures out there. I really like this one.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sIZud1NPRlc/UwP3E6HYFFI/AAAAAAAALj4/5MJmLbyZAQk/s1600/medal11.jpg

More
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7z1XfLd9NPk/UwP3LrDQIXI/AAAAAAAALmE/Tc4yWIlIRUQ/s1600/medal22.jpeg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KNutPC9JD_Q/UwP3F3dB_vI/AAAAAAAALkI/RW2hRwAuDJ8/s1600/medal14.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d80UIdUJrU8/UwP3GrW4RdI/AAAAAAAALkc/_M9Y_6_EMKY/s1600/medal16.jpg

They look so Disney and royal here!
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-14FPUUeA844/UwP3Rg5IbCI/AAAAAAAALn0/SNhd7Nm13Bw/s1600/media21.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  24. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

Any news on their exhibition music?? I'd love to see something like Happy by Pharrell Williams :D

25. Ilyich

Ilyich New Member

Wait, is there a chance that V/M are going to Worlds? I thought they were done.

26. valpadana

valpadana New Member

27. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

So did I. I was just responding to the "if" of E.A.Week's post :)

28. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I think the USFS will want them to go to guarantee that we have 3 spots for next year's Worlds. With their retirement that will not be a slam dunk like in the past few years.

29. Jessiebanana

I think the C/B and the Shibs would really have to mess up, which they don't typically do, not to get three spots.

30. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.