#22 Davis & White (Olympic Champions!): Shining, Shimmering, Splendid!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by brina, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Yep, so many people complaining about D/W, they've been ignoring what was going on with the Russian ladies and their higher than normal PCS.

2. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Active Member

No kidding! I think my jaw hit the floor and my server almost melted down. LOTS of unhappy fans over on the Golden Skate forums, that's for sure! Makes DW vs. VM seem like Bingo at the old folks' home by contrast. ;)

I'll be very interested to see how the competition results in Japan next month compare to these Olympics.

3. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Hey, maybe that was the plan all along, get everyone riled up about dance and no one will notice what goes down in the ladies event :lol:

4. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I'm actually upset that this is the Olympics Meryl and Charlie won their OGM at. I wish it was Korea and then Russia (or better yet no Russia at all). I just have so many negative feelings about this event. None of which are the skaters fault. I just...can't handle it.

5. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Active Member

LOL! I mean... c'mon, it's not like VM finished third or off the podium or something truly scandalous. The results were pretty much what they've been for the past couple of seasons.

I would've put PB over IK for the bronze, though, but with their draw order for the FD, that was pretty much never going to happen. :(

6. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

7. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

The thing is though, is this really surprising to anyone at this point? There was some questionable scores going on all YEAR for Russian skaters, let alone the Olympics. But I could really see this coming after the Russian mens hockey team lost. Frankly, I would have been more shocked had Yulia or Adelina NOT won.
    Feel sad for Carolina and Yuna. :(

8. Piper

Piper Member

All things considered, the response of the crowd to Meryl and Charlie wasn't that bad. It was so much worse during Mao's SP, I can't even start to describe it. The biggest problem with the audience is that most real figure skating fans couldn't afford it financially make it to Sochi. Things would be completely different in Moscow or St.Petersburg.
    Here we had a bunch of hockey fans who were coming to look at the pretty girls and locals who wanted to watch Olympic event and have never seen figure skating before. They were unreally loud during Russian skaters and did more damage than help for them. It was terrible during Julia's skate today, I feel sorry for her. She really couldn't handle such pressure.
    It was really the worst figure skating audience ever. I feel sick and ashamed.

9. laire

laire Member

Hi all!
    I've been a fan for years but a very quite one (for no reason lol). I mean that I'm not a super active forum member but I'm a huge supporter of Meryl and Charlie. Their win has really added some light to these overal gloomy days to me.
    Anyways, that's what I saw on Lindsay Vonn's page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152233936243007 It's sad that apperently even with the number of wins they are still unrecognizable to many fans but if Evan (and single skaters-champions have always been popular) is confused for Michael Phelps then, I guess, we shouldn't be offended too much)
    I hope various interview, photoshoots and all that inevitable glamour will help Meryl and Charlie to get some recognition they deserve tho.

10. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the most disappointing thing about these Olympics for me has been the lack of enthusiasm from the crowds for all but their own. They acted like they were at a funeral most times until a Russian skater stepped on the ice and only then did they come alive. I heard an announcer say that when Plushenko had to pull out, many in the audience got up and left! Gee, way to support all the skaters people!

I bet the IOC will be loathe to give another Olympic games to Russia anytime soon.

11. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

I love that Meryl and Charlie were first on the list. I think they truly will become the darlings of these games for the U.S. :)

12. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

13. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

14. Laura4

Laura4 Well-Known Member

I think the television ratings would go through the roof if they both joined DWTS, and let's face it, if you're a skater you have to strike while the iron is hot.

15. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

Wow. The Shibutanis might not continue? I'm rather shocked by that. Especially with V/M and D/W both likely retiring they would be Marina's #1 team. And not only that but they're both still very young.

I wonder if they see the writing on the wall from the judges and are maybe thinking of looking for new partners.

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I thought Alex might not continue any longer. I'd be surprised if Maia also retires, but she might also not want another partner.

I wonder how it would be perceived. I mean, people seem to get mad about "ringers" every year (even though they often win...so someone is voting for them.) None of those ringers has ever had intense ballroom dance training. This just seems really unfair if they competed.

17. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  18. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

TV ALERT!

Meryl and Charlie are on EXTRA today; check your local listings.

EDIT:

Starts ~ 6 minutes into the show; lasts ~ 1 minute. Talk DWTS, Derek Hough interview clip, some kid skating pix of D&W, clips of them visiting with children.

mollymgr and (deleted member) like this.
  19. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

As much as I'd love the Shibs, I agree that they're not exactly in the judges' favor right now. Whether they need a partner change or coaching change, their future still looks iffy. As Meryl and Charlie have proven, longevity and consistency really are the best ways to succeed, and changing partners or coaches would hurt that advantage.

20. TheKitties

TheKitties New Member

I've always assumed that if either Alex or Maia want out of ice dance, then they would both retire. They're each others' best friends and clearly love their partnership, which you either find with another partner or you don't. And even if they both began training with other partners, it would take a long time, perhaps an indefinite one, to match their lines and overall skating skills as the Shibs already match each other. I'm saddened that they are considering calling it quits, but they are both young and super personable and have all kinds of bright futures ahead.

Fun article, btw. Evan Bates comes off as less of a robot when he's around Charlie. Charlie has that effect on everybody!

21. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

22. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I'm not a big Chock and Bates fan but Evan has gone up in my estimation at the Olympics and only partly because of his performances. His friendship with Charlie and joy at their success scored big brownie points with me. I am telling myself to be less snarky in the future when watching C/B

23. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

24. mollymgr

Does anyone know how the DWTS schedule works? Isn't there one in the fall too? Wouldn't it clash with Stars on Ice which has already been promoting D/W? I do realize Evan Lysacek did both in the summer of 2010.

25. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Hasn't 'Stars' cut down to only a handful of appearances? I can hear the DWTS fans whining already, "They've got too much of an advantage. They're basically already dancers."

26. minignome

minignome New Member

Recall from Evan's time -- rehearsals on Sundays, taping on Mondays (the dance) and Tuesdays (the Results). DWTS did away with a separate results show last season except for the finale, so if they do it that way again, there would only be one Tuesday commitment. Evan worked it so that he did not appear in any Sunday/Monday/Tuesday shows with SOI. It also helped that he got a sponsorship with NetJet(?) -- a rental private plane company so that he and his partner Anna could fly directly between LA and wherever SOI was performing.

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I can see why they might enjoy doing it, but personally, I hope they won't. I'm so over DWTS. But that's just me. :)

28. mollymgr

Doing both sounds like torture.:yikes: The SOI schedule is almost 2 months long. They could add more shows if they see an uptick in interest.
    http://www.starsonice.com/get-tickets.html?pg=1

29. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I'm afraid Meryl and Charlie would get a lot of backlash from DWTS fans if they did appear, Evan and Kristi were called ringers, can you imagine what would happen if they signed up two ice dancers

30. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Between the two, I think Alex has the skills and performing talent to go farther with a new partner. Still, it might make sense for them to just do the college thing and move on from spending so many hours on skating.

Personally, I don't look forward to the idea of D/W on Dancing with the Stars. As mentioned, they have already done a lot of ballroom training, so it might not seem quite fair. Also, I'm not sure folks would want to see them dancing separately with other partners. Maybe they could off-set both those things by having them dance together instead of with pro partners. (Still, I really would not want to see Charlie in some of the get-ups they put the men in sometimes.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.