#22 Davis & White (Olympic Champions!): Shining, Shimmering, Splendid!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by brina, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCC

CCC New Member

Great Article! Loved getting an inside view of their first day as Gold Medalists. I honestly don't know how they did it all. I was exhausted from just watching skating.
  2. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

ITA, CCC. The Olympics are exhausting, and I'm only watching from home. So much skating, and the fact that NBC is showing so much of it, it's too much. :drama:
  3. Terri

Terri Well-Known Member

They need to update their titles at the blog. :)
  4. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I am in total agreement guys. I never thought I could OD on skating but it is getting close!! I am exhausted from watching LIVE, trolling the internet for info and articles, and then staying up for the nightime NBC coverage. Where's our medals?
  5. lmarie086

6. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Carnegie Hall tweeted about his violin playing.:eek::cool: Details
    Seriously, can't keep up but I'm not gonna complain.:lol:
  7. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hat1:

Reminds me of the old joke:

:violin:
  8. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

9. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

Can't say I disagree with him at all about the Canadian media. It's pathetic and shameful, and does the sport no favors at all. I can't believe when this Olympic season began I thought, because of what happened at Worlds, the death of the sport might come at the hands of Patrick Chan falling 3 times and still winning, and the public outcry that would come with it. Never would I have thought D/W, one of the most consistent teams, would be at the center of a controversy. These are world class athletes that deserve SO much better than the way they've been treated. And if the shoe was on the other foot, and V/M were the ones being treated like this I would feel the same way. And I'm no V/M fan. Judging by the twitter, fb, instagram comments if you hadn't seen their Olympic programs you would have thought they had zambonied the ice for 4 1/2 minutes.

But, whatever, if it gives them some sort of sick pleasure let #Whinefest2014 continue... :rolleyes:
    brina and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

It's just mind boggling to me that I/K are on the podium with their open holds and lack of transitions, yet D/W's win is the story.
  11. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Member

I loved the 'day in the life' article--how exhausting! All this media attention could make someone go crazy, and yet Meryl and Charlie always look so composed on camera! Seeing as they'll probably be the only figure skating individual medalists, I foresee an appearance on Jimmy Fallon? Pretty please? Also, Ellen?
  12. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Active Member

That's so cool. What a compliment. :)

I just watched the TSL recap, and I really enjoyed it. #Whinefest2014 :) (Love it, Michelle24!) I'm glad Dave brought up how the angry comments on blogs/youtube videos/threads wind up on actual skating articles. Meryl and Charlie have been unbeaten for 22 months now. I think that should have mentally prepared people for the possibility of them winning in the Olympics. It's not a "fix". It's a testament to their talent and hardwork that, going in to Sochi, they have won everything other than the OGM. Why would it be such a shock when they finally do win the gold medal?

Whew. Long rant...
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  13. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

Speaking of I/K, it's funny. I noticed on the replay of the free dance the other night, Nikita getting off balance with his twizzles. Why is it that Meryl and Charlie get raked over the coals for the same thing all the time, and yet no mention of this at all that I've seen? I mean, why is one considered so bad and the other is swept under the carpet? I don't get it. If we're gonna get picky then no one team should be immune from criticism. V/M are not perfect either, and yet you would never know it.
  14. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Another great recap from Dave and Emily. I liked the comments about Meryl and Charlie working straight through 2012 and 2013. It's just so impressive that they put it out there explicitly that they would be satisfied with nothing but a gold medal and worked tirelessly and continuously for it. They gave fiercely competitive performances with every skate. Looking back on all of those restrained kiss and cry reactions, it reminds me of that goal pyramid from the Classroom Champion video. Take the next step up; it's not time to celebrate yet. And NOW they can laugh with abandon and eat donuts while still carrying their own bags.
  15. Michelle24

Michelle24 Member

;)

Anyone watching the ladies sp on nbc? They just showed two of Meryl and Charlie commercials. Both the Morgan Freeman and the Puffs ads. :)
  16. Laura4

Laura4 Member

Yes! I'd already seen the Puffs commercial and was dying to see the Visa one! It was so well done...loved that they ended it with that wonderful embrace between Meryl and Charlie!
  17. applelady

applelady Member

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has been posting the links to beautiful pictures, adorable videos, and awesome articles! I can hardly wait to get home from work each day to see what is new! I am so thrilled that Meryl and Charlie seem so happy and content. It sickens me to think how some want to take their special moment from them. I find it repulsive that some cannot see fit to give them the same respect and genuine admiration that was awarded the current silver medalists when the places were reversed four years ago. I love that M/C continue to be their humble, classy selves in light of everything and all the stress leading up to competition, etc. They continue to be such great role models: the timing was such that we were able to watch their part of the medal ceremony live at school. My kids were so impressed that M and C sang the whole National Anthem. They really thought that was cool. Just another reason to love M and C. Sorry for such a sappy rant; it's very late here and I should be in bed, but having too much fun on here! Again, thanks, everyone!!:respec:
  18. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

From GSD, here's an article about a US ice dancer who demonstrated ice dance at the 1948 Olympics. And in the video clip you can tell by the sound he's watching their SD. http://www.mystateline.com/fulltext-sports/d/story/red-bainbridge-was-the-king-of-ice-dancing-years-b/12855/cBNnQfg9RkCf4DAkBxRYEw

There's something touching about the truly first ever US ice dancers at the Olympics (years before it was added) praising Meryl and Charlie's skating and getting to see them win. :)
  19. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think this year's schedule is making it worse. We used to get a day off in between to recover before the next skating.
  20. missysays

missysays New Member

21. lmarie086

You know, I really don't want them to retire; there's still so much potential left in their skating. I think they've made leaps and bounds in these last four years, but they can become even more. I could see them taking a year off or so, but I'd like to see them continue.
  22. missysays

missysays New Member

You know it's interesting that you say this. I've been thinking for awhile now that if Meryl and Charlie continue to skate it will probably be as competitors but if they decide to retire then they will most likely (after some touring this summer and some shows here and there) leave skating and pursue their other outside interests and education. They strike me as Michelle Kwan type competitors that are in it for the competition and the development that you go through that only competing brings out. I don't really see them as show skaters that go on tour or do pro competitions. Not that there are any pro competition venues left these days.

Their style of skating and what's best about them is something that only comes out over the course of an entire season where you can see the growth and change of a program.

Of course having said that I also can't see them pursuing another 4 years. As Charlie mentioned in one interview, they are at their physical peak right now at ages 27 and 26. If they go another 4 years they will be 31 and 30 which is not old in the lens of your entire life but in terms of an ice dancer's life it is reaching the outer limits of your physical prowess. I personally think they still have at least 1-2 seasons more of artistic growth and experimentation that I would love to see them grow into but then again another part of me says that they are probably at a time when they want to finally finish their undergraduate degrees and maybe take a well-deserved break.

(On a side note, I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if Charlie proposed to Tanith (if he hasn't already) and gets married in the not too distant future. I have nothing to base that on just a gut feeling.)

Regardless, I'm so happy that due to this gold medal win they'll always be tied together in that way and we'll see them at various gold medalist only events in the future! :D
  23. CCC

CCC New Member

Here is a link to the original dress from White Christmas, designed by Edith Head (20+ Oscar Nominations). I know there have been many comments, and at first I agreed, but after seeing it move on the ice and realizing that Edith Head designed the original, it created the Moment more than the other pink dresses.
    http://www.glamamor.com/2012/12/cinema-style-file-signature-edith-head.html
  24. LovelyMeteora

LovelyMeteora New Member

I think, from a psychological standpoint, if they wanted to continue competitively for a couple of years, they would have to set very clear goals for themselves. Without the motivation of another Olympics--and I agree that they probably don't want to stay around for four full years of intense training--they need to know what they're hoping to achieve so they don't just start to feel like they're drifting. I think, in any case, the transition to not skating at an eligible level is going to be tough, and I'm glad they have so many friends and family members to help them through it.I do hope they hang around for awhile, though, and don't make any hasty decisions. They need time to think this out.

Even if they could keep themselves in prime physical shape until South Korea, while Charlie will only be 30, Tanith will be about to turn 34. If they do intend to get married and have a family, that might be something to take into consideration. There might be other things he still wants to pursue (apart from skating) before that happens.
  25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Quite a few Olympians have children. It could just be extra fluff for the commentators to talk about.
  26. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Nobody cares about #3 teams because they are not a threat to V/M. If they are not a threat to V/M then you will hear comments about how #3 team's edges are solid, they push the envelope creatively and they are unfairly held down. If they are a threat to V/M you will hear comments about how their edges are junior level, they use the same choreography, and have no core strength.
  27. Terri

Terri Well-Known Member

28. lmarie086

29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

The only interview where it came up, that I've seen, is in the one with Tara Lipinski.

I love the "day in the life" article that was posted earlier. What a whirlwind for M/C!!
  30. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

31. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Still not a big fan of the pink dress, but it is pretty cool to read about what went into the design and creation of it. :) And it IS a lot like the White Christmas dress! Never noticed that before!
  32. lmarie086

Oh that's right, and that was such a great interview. I just meant that it hasn't come up since they won the Olympics (oh it's fun to say that!).

Whitneyskates, I can't see them! The last one that's visible is Evan Lysacek.
  33. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Dave makes a lot of really good points, such as about the Canadian media crafting storylines by going to the "scorned skaters" for opinions, the articles are similar in tone and propaganda, and very arrogant. He is perceptive.
  34. Laura4

Laura4 Member

I totally agree! I wish the media outlets would talk to him about this so-called judging scandal. He makes a lot of good points and is so articulate.
  35. Laura4

Laura4 Member

The new Visa commercial is now on YouTube if you haven't seen it. Hopefully someone can post the link?
  36. semogal

37. semogal

38. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Member

I don't have a TV, so I hadn't seen that. Okay, I'm getting teary-eyed all over again. :wuzrobbed

I really hope MC compete at Worlds. Selfishly, I want to see their programs one last time, maybe under less pressure. I also hate when Olympic champions/ medalists skip Worlds, but that's a very personal peeve. I'm not the one who has to train, prepare, travel, so I try to respect the skaters' decisions, even when I don't agree with them.

I also want MC to have a proper crowd reaction--cheering, standing ovations, etc, to maybe make up for the horribly muted response they got in Sochi. :( I would hate for that to be the last audience reaction of their competitive careers.

I wouldn't mind seeing them skate for another two years, so they can skate at Worlds in Boston. :) But if they don't continue, I don't blame them. It's such an incredible amount of time, energy, money, etc to train, and I'm sure they'll be exhausted after this season (they're probably exhausted right now). I don't want to see them go through to 2018, because frankly, I think they would be "dumped" by the judges no matter how well they skate... another team would just magically "go past" them. I'd rather see them go out on top, when they've achieved everything they've set out to accomplish. Unless they feel like they could be stretching themselves more, technically or artistically, I can't see the point, other than racking up yet more titles. But if they still have the urge to compete and are still feeling that fire... I would say go for it, and more power to them. :)
  39. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Active Member

I agree about the "dumping" from the judges. It would be very hard to defend their OGM. But I have to say that I am happy they have changed their sport. When I saw the ice dancing couples in Sochi, even the lower-ranked teams were doing some wonderful lifts. When I watched ice dance in Vancouver, the lifts seemed much simpler and many teams had similar lifts. I like how Meryl and Charlie have challenged the other ice dancers to come up with more technically demanding programs.
  40. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.