2022 Olympics : Candidate Cities

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Domshabfan, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Six cities have submitted bids to host 2022 olympics. The cities that have shown interests are Almaty (Kazakhstan), Lviv (Ukraine), Krakow (Poland), Beijing (China), Oslo (Norway) and Stockholm (Sweden). So there are 4 European cities and 2 asian cities biding for the games. Beijing or Almaty are highly unlikely to host the games after korea hosting the Previous winter games.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/nov/15/winter-olympics-2022-beijing-oslo-stockholm

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

3. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I bet it will be Poland.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There's no funding, no infrastructure, very uncertain weather and things are a complete and utter mess in general.

It's gonna be Oslo or Stockholm although I wouldn't count Almaty out. They are going to spend ridiculous amounts of money and the city already has incredible facilities.

5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I hope Stockholm gets it.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What's the name of the famous mountain skating rink in Almaty? It's legend but of course, I forgot the name.

Never mind, it's Medeo.

7. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

It would be nice if the Games would be given to a city that is actually known for winter and won't have any problems financing the Games. :shuffle:

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I don't see Beijing (Another Asian city after 2018) or Oslo (another city in Norway) getting it.

I would love to see Krakow get it, but is it big enough? May be some events will be held at other places. I think Lillehamer was the smallest ever for winter Olympics up till now. Is Krakow smaller or larger?

I know very little about Almaty and Lviv (Ukr). They may actually be better to host. Stockholm may make a strong case.

9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I think it's been long enough since Lillehammer that it shouldn't impede Oslo - at least I hope not. I'd love to see a Nordic country host again, be it Norway or Sweden.

10. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I vote for Stockholm or Oslo.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Cracow's population is 28 times larger than Lilehammer's. When you consider the metropolitan area as well, 65 times larger. ;)

I think that idea is a bit silly given Cracow is at least a 90 minute drive from the mountains where all the skiing events have to be held. Given the lack of infrastructure and terrible roads, how is that exactly supposed to work (when the theoretical 90 minutes become 4 hours of terrible traffic)?

Even at the starting point of putting together a proper bid and promoting bid, the city has to shell out millions of dollars. That it doesn't have. So, yeah good luck. ;)

12. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I'd love for Stockholm to get it!

That would be an occasion I'd be willing to dish out $$$ for.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've been to L'vov (Russian way to pronounce it, L'viv is Ukrainian) quite a few times, nice city. Didn't they host some major soccer event recently?

The mountains are the Carpathians (beautiful) but are they tall enough for the skiing? It's an older mountain range than say and is flatter.

14. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Ukraine cohosted the European Football (Soccer) Championships with Poland in June 2012 and the city hosted some of the matches.

15. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

My family is from Lviv so sentimentally I would love to see it win - but I'm not sure how the Carpathians would function as the host for the skiing events and if Lviv has the infrastructure to support the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised to see Almaty put on quite a show and end up winning, actually. As Ziggy said, Kazakhstan will be willing to put loads of money behind their bid.

16. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Um, Lake Placid? :shuffle:

Actually, Squaw Valley might be even smaller: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaw_Valley,_Placer_County,_California

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And other than putting incredible amounts of money into the bid, Almaty have done their groundwork and they can claim experience running big events. They held the 2011 Asian Winter Games will host the 2017 Winter Universiade.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

In a way it will be nice to see a city that is not very well known host the Olympics. We will have a chance to learn a lot about the city and the country (speaking of Almaty and Kazhakstan)

19. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Lviv : I think it is too early for this city to host the games, especially 8 year after Sochi. Also, I don't think Ukraine has the financial power to host a successful Olympics.

Krakow: Again, financial strain on the country might be too much. The city is relatively close to Lviv.

Beijing: I am not sure why the city is biding for a winter games, are they trying to be the first city to host summer and winter games. Did they borrow this idea from Munich?

Stockholm: Very good chance, I would like to see the games come to Sweden.

Oslo: They too have a good chance, they can host a good games. Though, I hope they don't get it, especially since medal table will be the most uncompetitive ever, with Norway winning 30+ gold medal (they truly can win more than that).

Almaty : they have done all the right thing, they hosted all right events, they are rich, culturally have some similarity to Russia but still very unique. However, I think they will be pipped by the Scandinavians.

My preference is the order, Sweden, Norway, Kazakh, Poland, China and Ukraine.

20. sayyonemic

sayyonemic New Member

One country in Asia

21. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Stockholm's bid would place the mountain events in Åre, which is a very long way from the capital (six and a half hours by train, seven hours by car). Beijing's bid would place them in Zhangjiakou, about three hours away by car under optimum conditions. I remember reading that the mountain events in 2006 were about two and a half hours by car from central Turin, and that's about the same time required to go from Oslo to Lillehammer, where the mountain events would be held if the Games were awarded to Norway. I think that's about the upper limit of practicality if the IOC wants to maintain any feeling of having one cohesive sports festival.

I also wonder about whether the IOC would actually award the Games to one country (Poland), when the proposed venues for the Alpine skiing events would be in another (Slovakia).

Given all of Ukraine's political, economic, and logistical problems, I don't think it's likely that the IOC will award these games to Lviv either.

I think that Almaty and Oslo are probably the two with the best chances.

We shall see.

:watch:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  22. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

The IOC frowns upon bi-national bids. I would be shocked if the Poland-Slovakia bid made it to the candidate city phase. I love the idea of Stockholm but really, Åre is just too far from Stockholm I believe for this to work practically. I didn't think Almaty was possible but it sounds like now they've really upped their ante with hosting some top-notch events. It would also truly be a "new frontier" as the IOC likes to do now.

I still believe the favorite in this one is Oslo. then perhaps Åre and Almaty.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

How many cities will move on to candidate phase? 3 out of 6?

24. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I hope Almaty doesn't win. Several countries with imperfect democracies have hosted the Olympics, but never a downright dictatorship like Kazakhstan. Giving Nazarbayez publicity is one purpose the Olympics should not serve.

Jenya and (deleted member) like this.
  25. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Oh dear, that doesn't sound encouraging then. Personally, I'd love to see Oslo get it.

Ziggy, I don't think there's a set limit. Perhaps three, perhaps four. If I was a betting man, Oslo, Stockholm, Almaty, Beijing (even though they won't win, but they have a lot of $$$ and influence within the IOC) as the cities that make it.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I second that thought. It's an insane dictatorship, using the petro-dollars to fulfil Nazarbayev's personal ambitions instead of benefiting its people. :(

I also think that Oslo, Stockholm, Almaty and possibly Beijing are going to make it.

27. Vagabond

Most people would consider Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Tito's Yugoslavia, and the People's Republic of China dictatorships rather than "imperfect democracies." :shuffle:

(And the I.O.C. awarded the 1940 Winter and Summer Games to Japan, which was hardly a democracy at the time.)

Meanwhile, Ukraine is having a spot of revolution at the moment.
    Ukraine rocked by largest street protests since Orange Revolution
    Thousands of Protesters in Ukraine Demand Leader’s Resignation

Whatever the outcome of the current developments, I would not be surprised if Lviv withdraws its candidacy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  28. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I vote for Sweden. For no other reason than I would like it to be in Sweden. :p

lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

When Berlin was awarded the Olympics, the Nazis were not yet in power. But even the Nazi Germany in 1936, the government was authoritarian, racist and antisemitic but had overwhelming popular support thanks to its outstanding economic success. So it may have been many things, but it was not yet a dictatorship. It is easy to think otherwise knowing what happened afterwards.

All the rest of your examples pale in comparison with Kazakhstan. Not to mention, in the cases of Yugoslavia and the USSR, what was acceptable decades ago can be shocking by today's standards. For instance, Los Angeles hosted the olympics just before Berlin, despite the racial segregation/discrimination laws in the USA. This would not be possible now, but was considered normal at the time.

30. Vagabond

Your original criteria was countries that "hosted" the Olympics, not ones that were selected as hosts. And, as I said, Japan was already a dictatorship when it was selected to host the 1940 Games, which were never held.

Yes, it was.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dictatorship?s=t

Nazi Germany had been a dictatorship since the adoption of the Enabling Act

Overwhelming popular support does not make a dictatorship any less of a dictatorship.

Really? Kazakhstan was less of a dictatorship when it was part of the U.S.S.R. during the Brezhnev era than it is now? Evidence, please.

Are you saying that the one-party rule with powers concentrated in one man, the "justice" system that provided no due process of law, and all of the attendant restrictions on speech and on the right of assembly, as was the case in the U.S.S.R. in 1980, Yugoslavia in 1984, and China just five years ago were acceptable then? In whose eyes? Not in mine, and I very much doubt in yours either.

Your original post concerned "downright dictatorships." While there were certainly were laws in parts of the United States in 1932, even in New York (the state in which the 1932 Winter Olympics were held) and California, that legalized racial discrimination and segregation, that did not make the U.S. a dictatorship. If you really think that Herbert Hoover was a dictator, you would do well to do a considerable amount of reading about the history of the United States.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013