2018 Winter Olympic Candidate Cities confirmed

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by mella, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Last among just three candidates is not the same as last among ten candidates as for the summer olympics. Besides they have twelve months to review the project now.

Paris was first in the evaluation twice in a row for the summer olympics but failed to win them. I hope lessons have been learnt and the campaign will be less arrogant. The current president has many defects, but at least he doesn't have the talent of offending two nations per sentence. So fingers crossed.

2. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

remember that there are fewer cities who can host the winter olympics, so a smaller field is expected. this is the smallest field since calgry beat out falun and cortina d'ampezzo in 1981 for the 1988 hosting right. this bid being put forth by the french is more of a warm up for the bigger prize: their targetting either 2020 or 2024 summer games for Paris (but watch out as South Africa is already sounding off on an Olympic bid). IMO, had the field been bigger for 2018 most likely annecy will probably get dropped if let's say the likes of geneva (which is now sounding off on a possible 2022 bid) or a US bid enterred the race. the applicant evaluation clearly did make it look like a 2 horse race and stated that though all 3 cities are capable annecy's bid presents the most risk among the 3. but a lot of things can change between now and the actual bid book delivery and the evaluation visit. were 12 months away from the durban session.

3. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Thinking again, I took PRLady to Annecy last week, I hope I didn't jix the city :lol: :lol:

4. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:lol: On the contrary, you should have recruited her. If only PRlady had spoken on behalf of the Paris bid instead of Chirac!

5. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The Albertville venues were spread over 618 square miles. They were not 650 miles apart. It's about 50 miles from Albertville to Val d'Isere and about 75 from Albertville to Courchevel and Meribel.

The main problem with the Albertville Games was that they were too decentralized. Some of the posters for the Games actually called them the "Savoie Olympics" and not the Albertville Olympics. 14 different towns and villages were used for those Games--10 for competition venues, 3 for Olympic villages, and 1 for the international broadcast center. A lot of athletes and media complained that those Olympics felt more like separate world championships for each sport, since athletes from different sports didn't have much of a chance to interact with each other. Only 18 of the 65 medal events were actually held in Albertville.

Unfortunately, the Winter Olympics have become too large for towns like Cortina, Garmisch, Lake Placid, or Lillehammer to be able to host them. As a result, we're going to continue to get bids like Vancouver and Munich, with a large city that hosts the ice events and a mountain village 100 miles away that hosts the alpine and nordic events. It's just doesn't provide the same atmosphere as the smaller hosts.

6. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately this is once again the reason for the low evaluation score for Annecy's bid.

Albertville was a tiny town of about 17-18 thousand inhabitants. If most of the competition venues, all new accomodation and media facilities had been built just beside Albertville, the Olympic venue would have been bigger than the town itself. It is the same for Annecy - a town of similar size and very delicate beauty. The proportion of the new buildings to the exquisite old town could spoil the atmosphere forever.

For me that is a worse scenario than distributing the events to villages nearby. If all the facilities are expected to be in the same place, the Alps can never host the winter olympics again. Should it come to that, or should it be accepted that a country's olympics can be in harmony with its nature and its culture?

7. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

its better because its being limited to just a 2 or at the most 3 clusters. Munich for example will host the ice events, Garmisch and surrounding areas the snow events and Koenigssee the sliding events on an existing track. it also provides a great atmosphere for athletes and spectators. Geneva is already sounding off on a 2022 games that can still be an Alps games.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  8. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Annecy has only two clusters as well: the Annecy cluster and the Mont Blanc cluster. The two clusters are said to be a 50-minutes drive apart.

Obviously the arenas for figure skating, speed skating, hocket etc. are inside towns while the ski slopes and ski tracks are outside and at a higher altitude That much separation is inevitable.

The below poorly prepared video explains the venues for each sport. I say "poorly prepared", because 60% of the venues are existant and this region hosts so many world cup events, yet all we get is computer images instead of the real thing. :rolleyes:

Venues for the Annecy olympics bid

9. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The Albertville Games still could have been much more compact, with the ice sports in Albertville, the alpine events in Val d'Isere, the nordic events in Les Saisies, and the sliding events in La Plagne. Those four towns are in a 50-mile radius. The reason why the Albertville Games had 10 different sites is because all of the competing resorts in the Savoie wanted to host an event.

Lillehammer hosted a very compact Olympics in 1994 without ruining the setting of the town. Unfortunately, the Winter Olympics have grown so much since then that I doubt they'd be capable of hosting again.

10. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

This is probably wrong, but when I think of Munich, I think of those poor murdered Israeli athletes... :shuffle:

11. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

Munich 1972 will always have that together with memories of Olga and Mark Spitz, Montreal 1976 will always be remembered for its massive debts together with Nadia's 10's, Moscow and LA will always have the boycotts, Seoul will be for Ben Johnson's disqualification together with Matt Biondi's performance, Vancouver's will always be linked with Nodar Kumaritashvili's death and Canada winning its first home gold and hockey. But with Munich's bid now aside from being able to be the first city to host both winter and summer games, but at the same time show the legacies of 1972 and how it helped germany's athletes to become one of the best.

12. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

IOC Takes Action On PyeongChang 2018 Conflict Of Interest

>>>> This will put this election in such scrutiny.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think I would have to go if it is in Munich - with any luck, I will be retired by then. I have been dying to go there, plus I really want to visit Nurnberg (where my parents worked and got married), Berchtesgaden, Garmisch, and Salzburg. I could fly into Salzburg, hit some of the towns on the way into Munich, spend a week at the Olympics, then Nurnberg, then Prague then home. I have it all planned! Now I just need the IOC to agree! :)

But I'd even be tempted by Korea because I could plan a side trip somewhere else in Asia.

I am very interested in where the Summer Games will be in 2020 because I really really want to be retired by then.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Me too!

16. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Korea all the way!!! Yu-Na will be 27...she'll either be lighting the torch or going for her 3rd gold medal, to tie Henie and Rodnina!

17. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

And Plushenko would be back for his 324566th medal!:eek:
    and Shen & Zhao would remarry and get their 2nd gold at the age of Confucius... :lol:

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  18. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I agree!! Biathlon world championships in Korea quite recently was a failure in so many ways....No snow, in the snow that were, there were rocks and sand. Bad security for the athletes, skiis dissapearing, not a lot of audience....
    you really need to host winter olympics where the atmosphere for winter sports really is present. Yes, they want to widen peoples horizon, but....

In Korea there will be excellent atmosphere for figure skating and short track, but maybe not for much else. I feel a bit sorry for them though, they have been in the contention so many times.

19. SmallFairy

Norway is specualating on bidding again, but this time with Oslo. They the games will be more spread, and probably use the luge/bob track already present at Lillehammer, and alpine facilities somewhere out of the city too.

After the skiing world championships, seeing the excited, enormous crowd and they enthusiasm, I'm soooooo in the mood for olympics in Oslo again :cheer2:

20. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

lillehammer is the sole bidder for the 2016 winter youth olympics.

21. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

Asia didn't host olympics since 1998, so it seems pretty sure South Korea will win, doesn't it? :)

22. SmallFairy

but that's not the same at all;)

23. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I'm banking on PC to win it. You know Asia gets all the "8s" :lol:

1988 Seoul
    1998 Nagano
    2008 Beijing
    2018 Pyeong Chang

But saw the pix of the biathlon competition in 2009 that took place in PC... they better have lots and lots of snow makers!

24. sailornyanko

sailornyanko New Member

But with the US and Japan in serious recession and Brazil with it's booming economy, I think this will be very positive for Latin Americans such as myself. Brazil has the $$$ advantage that they can use some of the same stadiums from the World soccer cup. Not bad for one of the top 10 world economies. Brazil however being more wealthy than Mexico seriously needs to have more than just 1 ice rink, it's depressing. If the weather is an issue, if Mexico could build a rink in hot cities like Merida, Villahermosa and very soon Cancun, I'm pretty sure you can build a decent sized rink in Rio.

Mexico housed the games pretty well in the late 60's. The genocide that happened in Tlateololco wasn't associated with the games, it was just political bad luck that both happened so close together.

Maybe Argentina and Chile will turn green enough to make a little push to improve their skiing and figure ice skating programs and might bid for a Winter Olympics someday. I still have a hard time believing Argentina has more ice rinks than Mexico but their best skaters are only juveniles and intermediates. They seriously need to hand out visas to Russian coaches like Mexico did.

I think housing the games in South Korea would be very interesting, wonder if North Korea would boycott the games or be accepting to open their borders a little more for the cash cow of tourism.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

AP newswire article: Bid cities for 2018 Winter Olympics make presentation to international audience
    An article focusing on Munich's bid: http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympic_bids/munich_2018/1216135652.html
    AP news brief: Japan considers 2020 [Summer] Olympics bid