2018 Winter Olympic Candidate Cities confirmed

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by mella, Jun 22, 2010.

1. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

my post above according to the report, its stated "spread over 650 miles". been to vancouver thrice. my cousin used to live in richmond, pretty close to the speed skating oval and it won't take 20 mins from richmond to downtown vancouver. BC Place and GM Place are right beside each other. again, don't take it on me. take it on the report. i based it there and things that i've read. i was only 9 years old when albertville hosted.
  2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Europe has the next Winter Olys so I bet that Korea will host 2018. Yu-Na will be poster lady and I would not be surprised if she isn't involved in some major way - maybe even skate. By then, she may be aiming to tie Sonja Henie's & Irina Rodnina's record of 3 consecutive gold medals. Not out of the realm of possibility if she wants to stay in it (age 23 in 2014 and age 27 in 2018).
  3. care bear

care bear Active Member

I just say "Go Munich". ))
  4. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

If you're an Downhill Skiing fan, you're probably routing for the more challenging and tested slopes of France and Germany. The Korean ski resort was apparently opened in 2009 and still hasn't hosted a major international competition. Isn't it a little too early?
  5. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Re - traffic
    I lived in LA from 1982-1991 - and the LEAST amount of traffic during that time was during the 1984 Olympics. Many folks took vacations (or were scared away) and some worked from home. Now with the internet/pcs even more can work from home.
  6. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th New Member

^^^ Same as Salt Lake 2002. Most people living in Park City (where ski, slide and snowboard events were held) left town before the games started. They don't like when the Sundance Film Festival comes every year - they leave then too.

:cat:
  7. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Korea will get it. Full stop. Reasons are:

*they came so close last few times. Sentiment will be in their favor
    *they have a strong bid
    *lots of money in SE Asia to put on a classy and well organized games
    *geographic dispersion will lead the game there from Russia
  8. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Two things.

1. This is a normal voting dynamic. In 1996 there was Athens/non-Athens division among the voters. All along in the voting it was Athens-Atlanta-Toronto with Atlanta and Toronto neck and neck for 2 and 3. Toronto dropped out on second to last ballot and transferred votes to Atlanta, which won on the very last ballot, the only time it led.

2. No disrespect to the Georgian, but the death and the torch gaff certainly did get the games off to a rocky start. A few days later, though, neither were hardly mentioned as the games enjoyed a surge in energy and great competition. An outstanding recovery that I, for one, wasn't expecting...
  9. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Well if this doesn't make you want to buy a ticket tomorrow, I'm not sure what will. They'd have my vote right there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCoqZNesnM
    LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ebayj

ebayj New Member

Well, I'm torn. Heaven knows, if you want something done really well, give it to a German. But I think Korea would be a wonderful host, they clearly have comethisclose before, and anything that might even remotely lessen tensions on the Korean peninsula is a good idea.
  11. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Samaranch definitely abused his power and I maintain that he screwed Toronto from hosting in 2008 with his order that human rights record should not be included in the evaluation report in favor of a Beijing Games.

However they did give us a consolation prize with Vancouver 2010, also as a way to shut out Toronto from 2012 as a major threat against European bids... Which turned out great! Vancouver 2010 will be known as one of the most passionate games of celebration ever, summer or winter.

I think Pyongchang should get 2018 though... they were so close the last two times and geopolitics this time favor the Koreans.
  12. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

correction, Atlanta led the 2nd to the last ballot before winning it 51-35.

Other than that, i'll go for efficiency and proven track record. that is Germany and Munich. they sell out events and its certain they'll also be able to provide a really good atmosphere. i still can't forget the boxing debacle of seoul 1988 (roy jones cheated out of an obvious gold medal in favor of the korean) as a reason for me not to support any Korean bids. personally PC's best chance was 2014 if it wasn't for putin showing up in guatemala city they probably would've won.
  13. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

PC for 2010 and 2014 had used the bringing peace to the Korean peninsula argument and it didn't get them the games. pundits are saying me included that they must come up with a new argument aside from the peace in the korean peninsula as its becoming tiring hearing it from them all time. its already making their message stale and done to death.
  14. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

i fully agreed with this. i give props to toronto's bid team for pushing through despite the obvious outcome. had vancouver failed a letter of intent was ready for submission and will just be delivered to the IOC. it was just waiting for the results. however, i refused to call vancouver 2010 a consolation prize though it was definitely used to shut down a threat from north america. had toronto bidded (if vancouver failed) moscow or nyc will most likely not make the shortlist and them together with paris and london will be the sure front runners. but the commonwealth vote will be certainly divided.
  15. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

That must be a typo lexeoe. :confused: It is physically impossible for the venues of the Albertville olympics to be spread over 650 miles. To the north, northeast and east, Albertville is less than 40 miles from the Swiss and Italian borders. To the west, south or even slightly northwest to avoid the Swiss border, you cannot even go 100 miles without reaching a zone with zero snow. Actually less to have decent slopes.

As Marie explained, the Albertville olympics had a very compact site - it had to be so because of the geography of the region. Here you can find a list of the venues. I don't know the exact distances but these are all very, very close to each other.

You say that the Albertville Olympics were not exclusive to one city whereas this year all was in Metro Vancouver. AFAIK Metro Vancouver area has more than two million inhabitants, and Albertville: eighteen thousand. The Alps do not allow for big cities in altitude. Neighbouring villages as near to each other as two miles have separate local governments. Please keep that in mind when you say that the Albertville olympics were spread to 11 different "areas". ;)

The summer olympics have become so huge that I am glad at least the winter olympics can still be held in places of more "human scale" like Lillehammer and Albertville. A tiny city surrounded with mountain villages is a beautiful setting for winter sports. :swoon: After all, nature plays the principal role in the winter olympics. So who needs a big city?
  16. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

650 miles was from the link a few pages back, that's my basis. i was nly 9 when albertville took place. but then after lillehammer, big cities have been hosting. even if its hard to admit it, the winter olympics are taking the summer route. bigger cities is now the trend. but i do hope i see another winter games in a town like lillehammer or sion but people are already conceding it may not happen anymore.
  17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Annecy 2018, maybe? ;)
  18. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Considering I live 30 mn away from Annecy, I'd love the city to get the Olys. But I'm not holding my breath...
  19. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

not their time. they were practically last in the evaluation.
  20. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

So was Rio.
  21. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Last among just three candidates is not the same as last among ten candidates as for the summer olympics. Besides they have twelve months to review the project now.

Paris was first in the evaluation twice in a row for the summer olympics but failed to win them. I hope lessons have been learnt and the campaign will be less arrogant. The current president has many defects, but at least he doesn't have the talent of offending two nations per sentence. So fingers crossed.
  22. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

remember that there are fewer cities who can host the winter olympics, so a smaller field is expected. this is the smallest field since calgry beat out falun and cortina d'ampezzo in 1981 for the 1988 hosting right. this bid being put forth by the french is more of a warm up for the bigger prize: their targetting either 2020 or 2024 summer games for Paris (but watch out as South Africa is already sounding off on an Olympic bid). IMO, had the field been bigger for 2018 most likely annecy will probably get dropped if let's say the likes of geneva (which is now sounding off on a possible 2022 bid) or a US bid enterred the race. the applicant evaluation clearly did make it look like a 2 horse race and stated that though all 3 cities are capable annecy's bid presents the most risk among the 3. but a lot of things can change between now and the actual bid book delivery and the evaluation visit. were 12 months away from the durban session.
  23. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Thinking again, I took PRLady to Annecy last week, I hope I didn't jix the city :lol: :lol:
  24. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:lol: On the contrary, you should have recruited her. If only PRlady had spoken on behalf of the Paris bid instead of Chirac!
  25. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The Albertville venues were spread over 618 square miles. They were not 650 miles apart. It's about 50 miles from Albertville to Val d'Isere and about 75 from Albertville to Courchevel and Meribel.

The main problem with the Albertville Games was that they were too decentralized. Some of the posters for the Games actually called them the "Savoie Olympics" and not the Albertville Olympics. 14 different towns and villages were used for those Games--10 for competition venues, 3 for Olympic villages, and 1 for the international broadcast center. A lot of athletes and media complained that those Olympics felt more like separate world championships for each sport, since athletes from different sports didn't have much of a chance to interact with each other. Only 18 of the 65 medal events were actually held in Albertville.

Unfortunately, the Winter Olympics have become too large for towns like Cortina, Garmisch, Lake Placid, or Lillehammer to be able to host them. As a result, we're going to continue to get bids like Vancouver and Munich, with a large city that hosts the ice events and a mountain village 100 miles away that hosts the alpine and nordic events. It's just doesn't provide the same atmosphere as the smaller hosts.
  26. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately this is once again the reason for the low evaluation score for Annecy's bid.

Albertville was a tiny town of about 17-18 thousand inhabitants. If most of the competition venues, all new accomodation and media facilities had been built just beside Albertville, the Olympic venue would have been bigger than the town itself. It is the same for Annecy - a town of similar size and very delicate beauty. The proportion of the new buildings to the exquisite old town could spoil the atmosphere forever.

For me that is a worse scenario than distributing the events to villages nearby. If all the facilities are expected to be in the same place, the Alps can never host the winter olympics again. Should it come to that, or should it be accepted that a country's olympics can be in harmony with its nature and its culture?
  27. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

its better because its being limited to just a 2 or at the most 3 clusters. Munich for example will host the ice events, Garmisch and surrounding areas the snow events and Koenigssee the sliding events on an existing track. it also provides a great atmosphere for athletes and spectators. Geneva is already sounding off on a 2022 games that can still be an Alps games.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  28. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Annecy has only two clusters as well: the Annecy cluster and the Mont Blanc cluster. The two clusters are said to be a 50-minutes drive apart.

Obviously the arenas for figure skating, speed skating, hocket etc. are inside towns while the ski slopes and ski tracks are outside and at a higher altitude That much separation is inevitable.

The below poorly prepared video explains the venues for each sport. I say "poorly prepared", because 60% of the venues are existant and this region hosts so many world cup events, yet all we get is computer images instead of the real thing. :rolleyes:

Venues for the Annecy olympics bid
  29. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The Albertville Games still could have been much more compact, with the ice sports in Albertville, the alpine events in Val d'Isere, the nordic events in Les Saisies, and the sliding events in La Plagne. Those four towns are in a 50-mile radius. The reason why the Albertville Games had 10 different sites is because all of the competing resorts in the Savoie wanted to host an event.

Lillehammer hosted a very compact Olympics in 1994 without ruining the setting of the town. Unfortunately, the Winter Olympics have grown so much since then that I doubt they'd be capable of hosting again.
  30. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

This is probably wrong, but when I think of Munich, I think of those poor murdered Israeli athletes... :shuffle:
  31. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

Munich 1972 will always have that together with memories of Olga and Mark Spitz, Montreal 1976 will always be remembered for its massive debts together with Nadia's 10's, Moscow and LA will always have the boycotts, Seoul will be for Ben Johnson's disqualification together with Matt Biondi's performance, Vancouver's will always be linked with Nodar Kumaritashvili's death and Canada winning its first home gold and hockey. But with Munich's bid now aside from being able to be the first city to host both winter and summer games, but at the same time show the legacies of 1972 and how it helped germany's athletes to become one of the best.
  32. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

IOC Takes Action On PyeongChang 2018 Conflict Of Interest

>>>> This will put this election in such scrutiny.
  33. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

34. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think I would have to go if it is in Munich - with any luck, I will be retired by then. I have been dying to go there, plus I really want to visit Nurnberg (where my parents worked and got married), Berchtesgaden, Garmisch, and Salzburg. I could fly into Salzburg, hit some of the towns on the way into Munich, spend a week at the Olympics, then Nurnberg, then Prague then home. I have it all planned! Now I just need the IOC to agree! :)

But I'd even be tempted by Korea because I could plan a side trip somewhere else in Asia.

I am very interested in where the Summer Games will be in 2020 because I really really want to be retired by then.
    smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  35. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Me too!
  36. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Korea all the way!!! Yu-Na will be 27...she'll either be lighting the torch or going for her 3rd gold medal, to tie Henie and Rodnina!
  37. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

And Plushenko would be back for his 324566th medal!:eek:
    and Shen & Zhao would remarry and get their 2nd gold at the age of Confucius... :lol:
    Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  38. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I agree!! Biathlon world championships in Korea quite recently was a failure in so many ways....No snow, in the snow that were, there were rocks and sand. Bad security for the athletes, skiis dissapearing, not a lot of audience....
    you really need to host winter olympics where the atmosphere for winter sports really is present. Yes, they want to widen peoples horizon, but....

In Korea there will be excellent atmosphere for figure skating and short track, but maybe not for much else. I feel a bit sorry for them though, they have been in the contention so many times.
  39. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Norway is specualating on bidding again, but this time with Oslo. They the games will be more spread, and probably use the luge/bob track already present at Lillehammer, and alpine facilities somewhere out of the city too.

After the skiing world championships, seeing the excited, enormous crowd and they enthusiasm, I'm soooooo in the mood for olympics in Oslo again :cheer2:
  40. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

lillehammer is the sole bidder for the 2016 winter youth olympics.