2018 Winter Olympic Candidate Cities confirmed

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by mella, Jun 22, 2010.

1. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

What are the chances Yu-Na Kim will stay till 2018 if Pyeongchang gets it? :cool:

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Pyeongchang was also a candidate for the 2010 and 2014 Winter Olympics. Let South Korea host them this time!

:cheer2:

4. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ooh, Munich. With some comps held in Oberstdorf (lovely town with a ski jump)???

7. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Doesn't matter which country gets it Fumie will still want to go! Hehe jk Fumie.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

All SO far away! That's why I loved Vancouver.. 3 hour flight from LA and inexpensive flight and accommodations.. None of that to be had in Sochi or any of these other cities! UGH!

9. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

Go Munich. Better bid, better venues, legacies of 1972 summer games, and better atmosphere. My philosophy after the 2016 Olympic vote is never sacrifice a quality bid just for the sake of spreading the games to other areas who haven't hosted them.

lamarenee and (deleted member) like this.
  10. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Great post lexeoe! I wonder how Brazil's games will turn out!

11. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

2016 vote infuriated me big time. Rio was actually 5th before the shortlist but was put on the shortlist over Doha, Qatar since the IOC didn't like the dates proposed by Doha for the Games. IMO, that was the IOC paving the way for South America. No problem with Rio winning if they were the best bid but Chicago and Tokyo were far better bids and both cities went out in the first 2 rounds.

i still can't forget how PyeongChang nearly won over Vancouver. good thing after Salzburg was eliminated all votes went to Vancouver thus paving the way for what was to be an excellent games sans the weather and the death of nodar kumaritashvili which will always cast a dark cloud over Vancouver 2010.

I think from an atmosphere point of view it may be excellent. not sure if they can equal Lillehammer, Sydney and Vancouver. The rest, i reserved judgement.

12. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Or most likely to light the torch? Could still compete and light the torch too!:rofl:

13. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

if PC gets it Yu-Na will most likely light the cauldron.

14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Asia hasn't hosted a Winter Games since 1998. It's probably their time. I was surprised PC didn't get 2014. But I would love to visit Munich, and this would be a great excuse. Katarina Witt would have to light the cauldron, no?

I thought France REALLY wanted a Summer Games. How serious are they about this bid?

15. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I'm not sure how serious France is about the Annecy bid, but I believe Gwendal Peizerat is involved with the French bid.

16. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Chicago bid not come out very well during the second phase of evaluation, Madrid came out far better than Chicago. Chicago if at all, was in same level as Rio. I am glad Rio won it since this will be first games in south america.

PyeongChang will have competition from Munich since the most dominant winter olympic nation in recent years have only hosted one winter Olympics, that too in 1936 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. So, lot of european member states will support the bid... PyeongChang can take some solace from the fact that IOC members may not want 2 successive winter games in europe.

17. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

yeah Asia deserves the games but for me another bid is better than PC for 2018. As for Germany, either witt, maria riesch, andre lange or even katja seizinger would be choices to light the cauldron. i think france is really aiming for paris 2020 or 2024 and would liek to establish goodwill before the buenos aires vote in 2013.

18. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

I'm all for Munnich! :saint:

algonquin and (deleted member) like this.
  19. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

I have a strong feeling that Munich will get it. What do 2010 host Canada, 2014 host Russia, and Germany have in common? All are very dominant winter sports nations and big countries with a lot of influence within the IOC. Most winter sports athletes are from Europe and the majority of the rest are from North America. They want a European winter games for travel convenience and for the best facilities and atmosphere (i.e. the cheering crowds for alpine skiing or biathlon). Most of the IOC members are European as well, and there's a bit of political strategizing as well: they want to get Germany out of the running for the Summer Olympics for at least a decade or two. Also, a very prominent and influential member of the IOC is their vice president Thomas Bach of Germany, so I'm sure he will do a lot of effective persuading.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  20. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

Madrid was technically last in the evaluation. The second phase of the evaluation practically kicked Madrid from behind and was made obvious that it was the least likely to win of the 4. For Chicago there was an issue on whether Mayor Daley will sign the host city agreement or not which was eventually eased and even promised will write off any overruns, typical issue surrounding a US bid since US bids are privately financed as opposed to other bids. If you read the summary of the evaluation it was pretty skewed towards Rio. They're events are being held in four clusters with considerable travel times. its good getting the games in South America but as what i said not at the expense of better bids like Chicago or Tokyo. Samaranch's plea to give Spain one more games before he dies was not only in bad taste but may have also swayed voters for either chicago or tokyo to vote for madrid instead. there are considerable amount of cities in europe who wants to host 2020. rome is already the italian candidate so i'm certain they won't be voting for munich or annecy. i don't have problems about consecutive games in the same area. IMO, if a bid is really good but is on the same area as the previous host, give it to them. Plain and simple. Albertville as i read wasn't fondly remembered and wouldn't have hosted if Samaranch hasn't interfered to ensure victory for Barcelona over Paris. Falun, Sweden was the favorite to win the 1992 Winter Games after it placed second to Calgary but that didn't happen. You can read Andre Jennings' the great olympic swindle and you can paint a clearer picture.

21. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

Munich really deserve it. Imagine being the first to host both winter and summer olympics. will be a great honor for them.

22. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Uh ? Excuse me ?
    Albertville was great, with a new kind of opening ceremony, that has been copied since then.

On the political aspects, Samaranch made sure Barcelona won, and instead France got 1992 Albertville and the 98 world soccer cup. That was a deal, and a good one IMHO.

Paris lost 2012 (THANK GOD FOR THAT !!) because it was felt London had a better chance of building the premises. From all accounts I have in the business of building, it's not working the way they thought, and indeed, the costs had to be cut short...
    It's all a political game. You never know what deals are really going on.

And I am all for Munich !! go Munich !!

23. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

Not going the way they thought in what way?

To date the spend has been going up not down (although that may change) and work on the venues is actually progressing surprisingly well imho (as someone who drives past the main park site every week). Not sure about venues outside London... As someone who knows a fair bit about construction in the UK I'm very pleasantly surprised so far.

Yes there have been some re-thinks on location and how to host some of the events (eg whether to actually build new buildings, moving some events away from the main site) but generally I think it was right for them to rethink how they did things. Trying to do so much in the area they were targeting would have been a logistical issue in my opinion - not in the building stage but in the hosting stage.

I think Munich would be a great location... I could be easily convinced to come to another Winter Games if Munich or Annency were hosting!

24. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

Paris lost 2012 as several IOC members felt slighted by President Chirac's food comment that the only thing worst than British food is Finnish food as one of the contributing factors. 2012 was Paris' to lose and they lost it at the final moment. Paris and London was evenly matched. The Blair factor is what's being attributed to London's win.

Also too much politicking robs us of the wrong cities. PyeongChang was just 3 votes shy of winning in the first round for 2010. Vancouver was the better bid and better proposal and nearly lost. Also, even though FIFA is a member of the IOC as one of the IF's its a different vote and different politicking involved. Samaranch got his way a lot of times. in 2000 he wanted Beijing to win but good thing sydney won. In 2008 better bids from Paris and Toronto lost because "El Presidente" wanted Beijing to finally get the Olympics despite China's human rights and environemental record which hasn't improved leading to the Olympics and after the Olympics. Also, during the 1996 Olympic bid per Mr. Jennings' book The Great Olympic Swindle, Samarch ordered the evaluation report re-written when Athens came out lowly. Instead of saying what the real score was it was rated excellent (Atlanta, Toronto and Mebourne) and good (Athens, Machester, Belgrade) when it wasn't the case. to the point that he abused his power.

interesting read about albertville 1993:
    The Albertville Winter Olympics: Unexpected Legacies - Failed Expectations for Regional Economic Development

25. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

Vancouver had to re-think some venue. The major change was that of the speed skating rink. it was supposed to be at the campus of simon fraser university in burnaby but after going reviewing their plan, the SFU option will significantly increase cost and the venue was shifted to richmond and they gave us a really beautiful facility.

26. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

I am for Korea. Despite being German. And I don't really see the similarities between Brazil and Korea.

Korea (and Japan) have proven again and again that they can organise very well, that they can handle their budgets (so that the country isn't bankrupt after the games à la Grèce), that they can provide amazing and hugely enthusiastic audiences and that they are very hospitable. I am sure they will rock it.

27. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Exactly my point. These infrastructures had been needed for 20 years. And thanks to the game, it came alive.
    there are several big project in the alps, to help with the traffic, but it never happens. At least, with any Olympic games, the real benefit is known : you can build the things you need and that you can't because it's too expansive.
    the only real loser of albertville is "La Plagne". But it's not true anymore as of 2004.

28. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

the opposite. the world championships/world cup that pyeongchang hosted were criticized for numerous reason number 1 being crowd. there were little to no crowds at all. the quality of snow was also criticized. you do not PO the IF's if you want to make a good impression. japan has proven they can host the event and they can medal in other sports. no problem w/ figure skating and speed skating but the other sports will certianly draw little or worst no crowd and the olympics doesn't want that after seeing the empty stadias of athens, torino and the subdued atmosphere of beijing. they don't want a disconnect after seeing what they've seen in vancouver.

29. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

how about the deficits? people felt albertville games was too regional instead of being albertville itself. it lacked exclusivity which the olympics are known for. you do not want a spread out venue and had the standards of today applied then, Albertville wouldn't have even won in my opinion. would've been either lillehammer or falun in 1992.

30. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I have no opinion, but anyway, Annecy is a beautiful city !