2016 Worlds - potential US bid?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Aaron W, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

US Figure Skating issued a RFP for any US cities interested in hosting the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships. The RFP indicated any bids should be submitted by Feb 15, with the evaluation taking place right now. US Figure Skating would then confirm their selection in early April and make the formal submission to the ISU on April 15. Any word on which cities submitted bids to US Figure Skating?
  2. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The past few days, Skate Canada has had to justify its decision to the national media why they selected London and not a "bigger" city. In short, they believed it was better to sell out a small arena than have a 1/4 empty large arena. They used Calgary as an example but I find that unfair given the Worlds occurred in an Olympic year.

How did LA do? I know there were a lot of complaints about prices and the event took place in the middle of a huge economic downturn, the event still sold a lot of tickets, right? Or is it expected that the USFSA will take a similar route as Skate Canada?

Anyways, my choices would be Vegas and Phoenix.

I wonder if D&W would consider staying on due to this.
  3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'd rather see it in Everett or Spokane with an arena that is filled to the gills. I find it pretty depressing to see world championships with lots of empty seats. (Then again, I have no understanding of the pricing/marketing strategy that seems to be fine with having whole sections unoccupied.)
    tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I bet D.C. would be a sell out if Worlds come back here again.
  5. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I think LA was pretty packed and sold well, but I'm going to guess a lot of it had to do with Yu-na. I remember the arena being really packed for the free dance, and people told me it was nuts for the ladies SP and LP.

I think a smaller city, where the arena is packed, is a much better idea than a 1/4 or 1/2 empty arena for Worlds. Costs less, too, I'd imagine.

West Coast so I can go! :rofl:
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Yes please!
  7. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

A recap in the Omaha paper after Nationals stated that Omaha was considering a bid for Worlds.
  8. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

They should NOT get it. Nobody came to Nationals.
  9. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I keep hoping Spokane will. We'd go nuts for Worlds. I haven't heard anything about a bid, though.
  10. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

We can only hope. :) But I heard there were some issues in 2003 - ISU unhappy about some things relating to sponsorships and transportation/logistics, so I don't think DC is going to get a Worlds again. But you never know.

I think it is a must that Worlds be held in a city with/near an int'l airport, with easy connections. Spokane wouldn't meet that definition.
  11. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

OMG...Could you imagine exposing the world to the Barbershop quartet from hell? No thanks :scream:
  12. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

DC had it in 2003. LA had it in 2009. It's the Midwest's turn to host worlds!
  13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Kent it is!
    tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Debbie S

And enough hotel rooms to house all the competitors, parents/families, officials (prob more of those than there aer competitors), and other assorted VIPs and event staff. ;)

I wouldn't mind a Worlds in the Midwest, but maybe a city where there isn't still a danger of a blizzard in March. Cincinnati? Nashville? Dallas?
  15. madm

madm Active Member

I dare say that Ontario, Canada is much more likely to have snowy weather than the U.S. Midwest. My vote would be for Denver or Salt Lake City.
  16. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Spokane has an international airport with direct international flights, though a lot of people would probably end up connecting through SeaTac. And traffic is always good between the airport and downtown Spokane because... it's Spokane.
  17. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Spokane would do a great job, but it would also be nice to spread the wealth around. ;) What about Detroit? Also, didn't Providence host a cheesefest back in 2004? Kansas City has been bidding on Nationals the past few years, so maybe they'll get Worlds?
  18. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Maybe Kansas City?? Seems like they had a really nice arena (newish) and lots of hotels and restaurants.
  19. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

yES...D.C, or somewhere on the East Coast, so I can go!!
  20. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Cincinnati would also RULE...or Columbus...please....
  21. Ageless

Ageless Member

We can always dream for Chicago........:rolleyes:
  22. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Loved the Showare arena and how easy it was to get around. Great service, food and best breakfast I think I've ever had at Maggie's. I would go back there!
  23. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

Oh please. I flew to Rome out of Spokane two years ago and it was a two stopper. Miserable. I think GEG is only intl because there are flights to Canada?
  24. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

hoping for boston. if not, denver, kansas city, nashville, chicago.
  25. MountainTime

MountainTime New Member

Omaha was under attended because many folks could not afford Nationals and then financially manage Worlds in Canada so they made an economic choice. Omaha had the friendliest rink staff I have ever encountered. The ease of navigating from the airport to the hotel and then the crossover to the rink from the hotel was the best arrangement. You didn't have to go outside and I could get from my room to the rink in under three minutes. Great restaurants, a clean city and other activities for entertainment in down time. No crime. I vote Omaha!!!
  26. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly I am not sure Seattle's new basketball/hockey arena will be ready for 2016 - and a non confirmed timeline is probably bad for the bid :rofl: . But all I can think of when my hockey crazy friends post about the new arena is WORLDS IN SEATTLE!!!

http://www.sonicsarena.com/
  27. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Wouldn't it be Europe's turn in 2016?
  28. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

France just had it last year, so no.
  29. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

In the same article I read about Worlds held in London, Skate Canada said that instead of getting the event every 5 years, it'll probably be every 7 years. So, it would be the US' "turn".
  30. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Spokane sounds like a great choice to me. Or Denver/Colorado Springs?
  31. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

It's probably not a great idea to hold a Worlds at high altitude.
  32. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

ITA. Reference Colorado Springs last year for Four Continents. Get out the oxygen!
  33. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It seems like skaters would need to be able to skate at altitude. Since the Olympics always has to be at least near mountains (due to skiing)- isn't it often held at some altitude?
  34. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Not really. The only recent Winter Olympics that had a skating venue at an elevation of over 2,000 feet was in 2002 in Salt Lake City. Before that, you would have to go back to the 1988 Games in Calgary. In several of the recent Games, the skiing events were held some distance from the skating events. Both Vancouver and Sochi are at sea level.

Colorado Springs has hosted Worlds five times and Four Continents three times, and the USFSA doesn't have to worry about paying to rent out the space. It might come as a rude shock to skaters who train at sea level, but it would hardly be surprising if that's where the USFSA wanted to host Worlds next.
  35. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Philadelphia? :D One can wish.
  36. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Not at altitude please!

How about St Louis?
  37. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Um, hello, Chicago? Training home of a certain GRACIE GOLD.

Or Milwaukee, way cheaper, with easier airport and totally manageable downtown. Sigh...
  38. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Japan will have it next, then China. Surely it should be Europe's turn as North America has it this year. And wouldn't it be better for US to have it 2017 as the spots :drama: will be decided there?

But if the US is going to have please have it in a city that has direct flights from other continents. :p
  39. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Since 2016 U.S. Nationals are in St. Paul, I'm now wondering if one of the coasts would get Worlds? Watch it be Spokane or Greensboro now. ;)
  40. Debbie S

That would be my second choice after DC. :) I do remember hearing the USFSA wasn't pleased with the way they hosted 98 Nats, but that was 15 years ago, so maybe they've forgotten.

The problem with St. Louis is that the arena is not near the main hotel/commercial center or within walking distance. And IIRC from Nats in 06, downtown is not very walkable (and kind of deserted at night) and the arena was very cold. Also, would they be able to set up a practice rink near the main arena? Initially, they were going to do that in 06 and then decided to use some small arena way out in the hinterlands.