2014 US Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lexeoe, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

Any idea when it will be announced? I do remember SJ 2012 was announced November 2009. Greensboro 2011 was announced 10 months earlier. Aside from Boston who has made their interest known anyone has an idea who are bidding?

Slightly OT Omaha 2013 still doesn't have a website. I remember Greensboro and SJ having their website up after they were announced as host.

2. lamarenee

lamarenee Active Member

I believe there will more information re: 2013 nationals in Omaha after a USFS site visit this month (or early next month?)

3. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

any updates re: 2014 nationals host?

4. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Also wondering about 2012 Skate America as the bid package on the USFS website had projected an announcement date of... last week.

5. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I don't think we've known where SKAM is going to be for the last several years until after this year's SKAM was over.

In fact, I am not even sure if the info was available by Nationals. I don't remember any info about SKAM or Ontario last year while we were in Greensboro. I do remember you could reserve tickets for Nationals in San Jose though.

6. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

EYS, the location for the upcoming 2011 Skate America wasn't announced until March 2011.

On a related note, for all those interested in how event bidding and selection works, here's the USFS page for bid packages (including the PDF for 2012 Skate America):
    http://www.usfsa.org/Events.asp?id=324

7. lamarenee

lamarenee Active Member

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

The Garden WOULD be fun O:

julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  9. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

"International events" must mean an upcoming Skate America, as we aren't likely to have a Worlds in North America for several seasons (since Canada is hosting Worlds next year), maybe 2015 or 2016?

It's hard to see USFS switching gears and suddenly moving Nationals back to a large market, but perhaps they will consider it since there should be higher interest in the 2014 event due to the Olympic team selection?

11. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Keeping all 20 fingers and toes crossed; possibly a few other unmentionables :p

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Boston is one of my favorite cities in the US.

I will rejoice if is held there. :swoon:

13. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I think it's not USFSA it's the markets. I think the "switch" to smaller markets was driven by the fact that the large markets refused to meet the demands..... USFSA would probably LOVE to be back in a large market. Just not sure the "demand" is there for the tickets. :eek:

Skate Amerrica is in Southern California which I consider a "large" market. Finally bought a ticket today... on row F or something.. .doesn't sound like it's selling like gangbusters.

Nationals this year are in San Jose and while it's not a big city, the geographic area you draw from is VERY densly populated... "large market" We will see how it does.

I loved Nationals at Boston and would GLADLY return!

14. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Demand is why USFSA started going to smaller markets - they would rather be in a smaller arena they could sell out (or close), plus rental cost is cheaper. While SoCal is a big metro area, the arena for SA is smaller than the major arenas (i.e. Staples Center) and Ontario is quite a bit east of downtown L.A., which means cheaper hotel rates.

It will be interesting to see how Nats ticket sales go. San Jose is a larger market than recent Nats locations, and the ticket and hotel prices reflect that. Maybe if Nats does well this year, USFSA will be more open to large markets in the future.

I was at Nats in 2001 and thought Boston was a perfect place for the event, but skating fandom and economics were different then.

15. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

Since the U.S. hasn't gone more than 6 years without hosting Worlds in about 70 years, it would seem that 2015 is the USA's next "turn" if they want it.

16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well, I think they think they "owe" Japan one so...I won't be surprised if the next world's awarded is to Japan since they had to give up 2011.

17. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I thought Japan was already awarded (or promised?) Worlds in 2014?

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The French Fed attempted to volunteer Skate Canada to trade 2013 Worlds for 2014 Worlds, so that Japan would not have to host post-Olympic Worlds. I suspect Japan will be given the option for 2015, with the US possibly offered the 2014 spot.

19. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

2014 worlds has been provisionally assigned to Japan with either Tokyo or Saitama as host.

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Skate America in Boston would be so very convenient. Fingers are crossed. Actually, anywhere on the east coast, even Reading would do :p

21. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

They are totally going to put a competition in Boston right when everyone I know with a couch to sleep on has graduated and moved out of the city, right?

22. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

TD Garden would be fantastic! The train from Portland comes into North Station...right downstairs! :D

23. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

do we have any updates when USFSA will make their decision? If SA comes to Boston I think the event will most likely be at Agganis Arena than TD Garden.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

From the bid RFP:
    ETA link to earlier discussion about the interesting tentative event schedule for 2014 U.S. Nationals: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81272

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  25. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

How about 2014 Nationals in DC and 2015 Worlds in Boston (since DC hosted Worlds in '03 and Boston Nationals in '01)? :)

26. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I like this idea a lot! Michael Weiss could be the chair of a DC nationals.

27. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with that. In 2001 they could fill the Garden easily, now I don't think they can. They might even try to put it in Worcester at the DCU Center, which is what they did for this year's Synchro Nationals.

28. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I heard that Greensboro will submit a bid for 2014. I doubt they'll get the event as it is right before the Olympics and I'd assume Nationals would want a bigger venue.

If they get it.....:cheer2: I'll be there again!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  29. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I'd go to Greensboro again. Of course, the DC area would rock for me, but is there any indication that anyone from DC is bidding?

30. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Still waiting for Salt Lake City. I know it won't ever happen, but I can hope...:shuffle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.