2014 US Adult Sectionals & Nationals

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Easterns is on Entryeeze, Mids may be there, too. Go to the Entryeeze website and search by state. To see the rosters, you need to click on a coach's name and follow the link to "Full Schedule" that is above the coach's schedule.

2. Ageless

Ageless Member

Mids is on Entryeeze also. Funny thing, though. On IceNetwork it is listed as being in Hoffman Estates, IL, but it is really in Strongsville, OH. Makes a big difference! I think they got confused because Synchro mids was in HE earlier this year. Guess I won't be stopping by! :(

3. littlerain

littlerain New Member

Ageless, I think we might be neighbors :) the Hoffman rink is like 15 min away!

Good luck to those of you competing!!i hope you will let us know how it goes!!

4. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Oh, believe me, I will. I still can't believe I'm doing this. :lol:

5. littlerain

littlerain New Member

You can do it!!! :)

6. GarrAarghHrumph

I came in third! (Shh... yes, out of three, but...) I still came in third!

I have the spins competition tomorrow.

7. Debbie S

Yay, Garr! Good luck tomorrow!

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Way to go, Garr!!! That's great!!
    Happy spinning tomorrow :)

9. overedge

I was looking at the Sectional results online, and am slightly confused. Why is Eastern sectionals using ordinal marking and Midwestern using IJS-style marking?

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Was it the same level? 6.0 is used for low levels and IJS for high ones.

11. overedge

Aha! That's what it is. I think it was only the high-level events that were showing on the Midwesterns website. Thanks for the clarification.

12. Debbie S

For Mids, IN is only posting the Championship (Gold and Masters) events, and those use IJS. IN is posting both the high levels (IJS) and Silver and below levels (6.0) from Easterns, so that's why you are seeing 6.0 results. I assume IN is posting whatever the accountants on-site are sending them, so the Mids accountants must not be sending the lower levels in real time.

Congratulations to ioana! Looks like a great skate!

13. GarrAarghHrumph

I'm on Ice Network! Well, my results are. :lol: But I had no idea this stuff was posted up there until you guys mentioned it, so thanks. They're even showing the results from the event I did late today.

14. GarrAarghHrumph

Oh, let me tell you all - today, I did compulsory spins. Neither my coach nor I were at all familiar with what was involved, and I misinterpreted what I'd read about it. I thought you just did the three spins, and that's it, one after the other, stopping between each one. I didn't realize people did an actual little mini program without music. So I get there, and I am watching the people doing the compulsory jumps competition, which was right before the spins. And I realized - oh, goodness. So I get out for my three minute warm up, do the world's fastest choreography, practice it twice, and there you have it - my compulsory spins program.

15. Debbie S

The spins events I've seen (including the one I competed) were as you first described - 3 spins done one after the other. Of course, the last time I watched a spins event was 7 years ago, so maybe things have changed. For compulsory moves, you do skate a mini-program (stated in the announcement) but I've never seen that for jumps or spins. Hmmm. Well, good for you for making up some choreo quickly!

16. littlerain

littlerain New Member

Good job garr! Sounds like you had a lot of fun!! And woohoo for 3rd and last minute choreography hehehe

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure the spins are the only thing that should be judged for the spins event. The reason why you end up seeing mini-programs is that in case of identical spins, judges might need to use something else to determine placements -and we all know skaters like to use any possible advantage ;).

Thank you! "Great" is a slight overstatement for the way I stumbled all through my ftwk, but I'll still take it :lol:

18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I think a difficult entry into or out of a spin, or at least a variety of entries (and exits that show control), could help the scores more than just putting a spiral or rocker or little jump, etc., on the path while you're getting from one spin to the other but not directly connected to either of them.

19. GarrAarghHrumph

Yeah... when my spins are a pivot, two foot spin and one foot spin, I'm not thinking that's so much my concern... ;)

20. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Is there an entry list yet for Adult Nationals? I poked around a bit on the Adult Nationals web site and EntryEeze, but couldn't find anything.

Is anyone going as a spectator? I've thought about it, but it's nearly a 2-hour drive from my home, which is kind of far.

21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Not yet for Nationals since the time schedule hasn't been finalized yet. They do have a list of events by dates posted on the event website here. I'm doing Silver ladies and driving down with two friends who are doing Bronze on Wednesday. I'd definitely recommend stopping by on Saturday for the championship events if you could, though. They tend to be very high standard & fun to watch :).

22. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

23. GarrAarghHrumph

It looks like I'll need a hotel for both Friday and Saturday night, due to the timing of my event on Saturday.

24. clairecloutier

Thanks for the link.

So, I'm new to this and confused by all the categories.

1. What is the difference between Gold and Championship Gold? I'm guessing the top skaters in each Gold division move on to Championship Gold?

2. What is the difference between Gold/Championship Gold and Masters? Is Masters for an older age group?

3. It seems like there are lots of groups in Bronze and Silver categories. Is there a skateoff or something in these divisions to determine the overall Bronze/Silver winners?

Any info appreciated, thanks.

25. Skittl1321

Championship events have to be qualified for at sectionals, just like "real" nationals. Gold is an open event you can register for.

Masters is not an age category (except that you have to be 21) at Adult Nationals (it is on adult tests... 50 years or older...that's not confusing at all USFS...) Masters are the intermediate-senior levels.

I don't think there are overall Bronze/Silver winners, since they are not Championship events. A bronze/silver skater just wins their event. It would be the same for a Gold event that is not a championship event, they are divided by age if there are enough skaters (that's what the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 are- they are age categories). Championship events combine all ages.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Championship gold is the event people qualified for through sectionals (top 4 in each Section). Regular Gold works the same as Silver and Bronze -you sign up for Nationals if you want to go, provided to passed the prerequisite FS test before the deadline. No qualifying via Sectionals required.

In Singles, Masters Int/Nov and Jr/Sr is for skaters who passed those freestyle tests. So, a higher level but not necessarily related to age. The Championship distinction also applies -regular Masters is something you can just show up for. Champions Masters is a qualifying event at Sectionals. You can sign up for both tracks and several skaters do. Am not really sure about Masters in Dance and Interpretive, so maybe someone else could help out there.

Bronze and Silver will get a winner for each age category, but not overall. I.e. someone will win Silver ladies III and someone else Silver ladies I. In some cases, they had so many entries they had to do a preliminary round, like in Silver III which is a very popular event. I think the top 6 in each group advance to the final round, but I'm not too sure of the cut off.

27. Skittl1321

Masters in Dance and Interpretative is the same thing for Adult Nationals competition- high level tests.

For anyone really interested, the rulebooks are online and easy to search and read.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  28. clairecloutier

Thanks for the info!!

29. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

In dance it can get confusing, because there's a test level (standard, adult, masters) that is age-related. Just an in general FYI.

30. Skittl1321

They've added this for MITF now too. You can take the adult tests at standard or master's.

It's ridiculous they chose to use the same word to mean two very different things.
    But at Nationals, Master's is a skill level, not an age. The age categories are 1-5 (or I-V, depending on where they are written.)