2014 US Adult Sectionals & Nationals

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Sep 19, 2013.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Garr, what music are you going to use?

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I am using the Galaxy Song, by Monty Python: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

I just tried to register for Eastern Sectionals, and the Entry Ease software insists that, based on my test levels, I am adult pre-bronze. It's basing this on the fact that I am "no test" for freestyle. The USFS rules say I am adult silver, based on the fact that I have passed one pre-silver dance. I am working to resolve this. But until then, enjoy the song!

3. kachilyn

kachilyn New Member

I'll be at Eastern Sectionals! Silver FS, Light Entertainment and Dramatic!

4. overedge

Garr, that is an awesome choice :rofl:

5. GarrAarghHrumph

And I'm skating it straight, as Eric Idle did when he sang it, which, IMO, makes it funnier.

6. GarrAarghHrumph

I might add a dramatic. I'm thinking it over. But I can't do silver FS, because my jumps aren't quite even pre-bronze. :lol:

7. jenlyon60

jenlyon60 Member

Entryeeze and dance test levels don't always play well together.

8. GarrAarghHrumph

I've registered for silver level adult interpretive light entertainment for both sectionals and nationals, and for pre-bronze compulsory spins at sectionals. I plan to come in dead last for silver, because I am NOT a silver level skater. :lol: When I told my husband I had to register for silver for the interpretive, he looked at me and said, "You're going to come in last." ;) And if I do, I will take great pride in the fact that I came in any place at all!

My coach asked me to find out how much time we have from the time they call my name, to when I take my start pose on the ice. Anyone know?

9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

1 minute

10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm signed up for Silver FS. No idea what possessed me to do it since work is extra-busy these days and I was out on vacation for two weeks, but whatevs. Should still be fun & I'm looking forward to hitting a few musical accents in my program this time around. Eys, dreaming big. Now, to do my back camel to catch foot consistently enough so that it makes an appearance in my program :p.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It was always my goal to go to Adult Nationals in Bronze and "take one for the team". I so often hear bronze skaters say "I just hope I'm not last." I was willing to go and just be last (because undoubtedly, I would be). Unfortunately the expense was too great and even after I finally managed to stay injury free long enough to pass the test I was never able to go. Now I've been off the ice for a year and went skating last week and can't do anything but spin. All the jumps are GONE.

Good luck with your interp! Who cares about placements!

12. overedge

You can always tell people "I placed Xth at Nationals" and they will be suitably impressed. If you were last, you don't have to tell them that part :lol: Most people are just impressed that you got to compete at a national championships, and that's an accomplishment in itself.

13. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

:lol: I have a medal (pewter) from my one appearance at Adult Nationals. There were only 4 in my group and I was unanimously 4th in the lowest level that is able to compete, but hey, technically I'm a National medalist. :shuffle:

14. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

And do you proudly give that national medal a prominent display in your home trophy case? :)

15. GarrAarghHrumph

Back when I was in high school, I ran track. There was one race I always ran - the 800 meters. And one field event I always did - shot put (which was hilarious, because I'm only about 5' tall, but no one else wanted to do it.) But the third event was always up for grabs. What I therefore used to do was check how many people were entered in each event, and if ANY event had only two entrants, I picked it as my third event. ;)

16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Hell yeah. I've gotten gold medals at ISI comps in which I was the only competitor. . . when my daughter was younger and more naive she said "you're a champion"!

One of these days I'll get back on the ice, get my bronze skills back & pass that dang test and GO TO NATIONALS!

17. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I have a friend who tells me "Last is just first at the other end." :)

18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Until about 2 years ago, I could claim to have finished last or next-to-last in every freestyle event I had competed in . . . except once when there were only 2 competitors I got a gold medal for next-to-last.

19. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I am officially not ready to compete :yikes:, but will do so anyway. Really wish my gold MITF test had been held a week earlier instead of being so close to Sectionals, but I did manage one good run through today. I figure I'll try to get myself in shape as much as possible and then just be ahead of schedule for Nationals in one month.

Hopefully everyone else who's going is ready and looking forward to the event :cheer2:

20. GarrAarghHrumph

Looking forward to it? I wouldn't go that far... :lol:

I am as well prepared as I can be for my actual program, but I also entered a spins competition at sectionals, and for that, I am... well, I mean, I just looked up the rules last week, so that kind of gives you an idea for how I should do. But that part of the competition is just for fun for me.

21. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Good luck to everyone competing!

Did you pass? :)

22. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I did, with points over from all the judges :D. That high has worn off by now, though, and I am panicking. As long as I remember to bend my knees on Saturday should hopefully be ok.

Garr - Spins and jumps events are fun. Plus, you'll have the rules fresh in your mind ;).

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Congratulations! :cheer2: My first attempt in September did not go well but my coach wants me to try again sometime this summer. We'll see. Lately, it's just been a struggle to get through the patterns on crazy-crowded sessions.

Good luck Saturday!

24. kachilyn

kachilyn New Member

I am pretty sure you are in my LE group at sectionals :) I will get one of my friends to throw you a tossie!! And hey - there are only three of us in that event so we're all medaling! ;)

25. GarrAarghHrumph

Yay! I can use all the help I can get. I admit, I spin better than I jump... but that's not saying much. ;P

How do I know who is in my group? Can I see that on Entry Eez or etc.? ETA: Yup, I can.

It looks like two events have been combined. My event is now listed as: Light Entertainment Interpretive, Adult Silver (Ladies, I,III) Does that mean that if I am in III, I am competing against people in I?

And I appear to be the only person in my spins event. So I guess I can only do so badly. Although they could grade me against the book... Err...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

As a hockey coach used to say, 'agility training.' Hopefully things calm down at your rink once the new program mania gets better. And, yes, definitely try and test again once you feel ready. Am sure it will be easier second time around :).

27. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Probably. They quite often combine age groups in non-qualifying, even at sectionals.

You win the gold! :cheer2: (they don't judge against the book in USFS)

28. GarrAarghHrumph

Conspiracy! We already know who will win! ;)

29. kachilyn

kachilyn New Member

Yup, Entry Eez! I am the I in the I, III group....I must have been the only I to signup for Light Entertainment. I'm the first name on the list, the one that starts with a C - I know the other woman is also a III. BUT - some of my best skating friends are IIIs so :) And this event is all about entertaining the judges - so jumps and spins don't count as much! My rinkmates and I are having a tossie making party Thursday - I have a few that match the theme of my L/E program to throw to those in my event ;)

Looks like two medals from sectionals for you!! ;)

30. Ageless

Ageless Member

Where do they have the schedules/rosters posted? I'm close to Mids this year and was thinking I might try to stop by.