2014 US Adult Sectionals & Nationals

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Sep 19, 2013.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Since adult eastern sectionals and adult nationals are both near me, I hope to compete in 2014. I've never done this before, and I need to know what types of events are available to compete in, and what the rules are for each. There's no info up on the USFS website, or on the websites of the clubs hosting these events, regarding this. Does anyone know of any resources that can help me? Links online, etc? Thanks!

I'm looking for things like what events are available, what is needed for each event, length of music, etc.

Anyone else hoping to compete?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Can you tell us what your test levels are, and then you can get a lot more specific information.

3. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

4. GarrAarghHrumph

Yup. My coach simply told me to "find out" about what I'd do in adult nationals. Beyond "find out about", I've got nothin' to base any of this on, other than my own vague memories of past threads here. :lol: I tried searching FSU, but got too many unrelated results.

I am pre-silver in ice dance, pre-bronze adult MITF, no freestyle tests.

5. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

You can skate bronze or pre-silver solo dance, depending on how many pre-silver dances you have passed, I think interpretive (dramatic or comedy) - not sure what level and it might be that you have to be silver to be able to skate interp without freestyle tests, and no freestyle unless you pass your Bronze MITF and Freestyle by the deadline. If you're lucky enough to have a partner, you could also skate couple dance. If you are lucky enough to have a partner and both of you are over 50, you can skate centennial dance.

This is all in the rule book.

Sectionals may or may not allow no-test freestyle and the like. Depends on the club holding the event.

6. Skittl1321

For Nationals, you can enter up to 4 events. Pre-Silver dance is an open event, which means you do not need to qualify through sectionals. You could enter both as part of a couple and as a solo dancer (two different events). I believe that you are also qualified to enter the artistic competitions which are offered in Dramatic and Interpretive (again, no qualification necessary), but not entirely sure since you don't have higher MITF tests.

These same events will be available at your sectionals. You may also be able to skate up to Pre-Bronze freeskate or skate no test at sectionals, depending on how they run their non-qualifying competition (skating up is not possible at Nationals, and the first freeskate level is Bronze).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. Skittl1321

According to the rulebook, if you wanted to skate the Interpretive events, you would have to skate at the Silver level.

(Emphasis on or is mine.) The Bronze level excludes you if you have passed a pre-silver test.

The Duration is 1:40.

8. purple skates

9. GarrAarghHrumph

Thanks to all of you for all of this. I'd been to the rulebook, but hadn't known where to look.

I have pre-bronze MITF, no FS test, and one pre-silver dance test. From what I can tell from what you all have said, and from the links to the rule book, that means that I can do the following:

- Adult bronze solo dance (must have passed all pre-bronze dance tests, and no more than one pre-silver dance test)

- Adult pre-bronze singles free skate (must have passed no higher than adult pre-bronze FS test - so I'm assuming I can do this without any FS tests at all?)

- Adult silver dramatic skate, or Adult silver light entertainment skate (Can have passed one pre-silver dance test)

There is no pre-bronze singles free skate at adult nationals, but there may be one at adult sectionals. The other events I listed are competed at both sectionals and nationals.

Am I interpreting all this correctly? Please correct me where I am wrong!

10. Skittl1321

Yep, that sounds about right. Skating PB free without any tests will depend on how they word the announcement. Non-qualifying competitions have some freedom to set their own rules, but if they have a PB event, they'd probably be happy to take your money.

11. Debbie S

Yes, you are correct. There is no Pre-Bronze FS offered at Adult Nats, and you can't skate up a level there. However, you can in the non-qualifying events (everything except Championship Gold and Masters) at Sectionals. Usually, Sectionals offers PB FS so you could compete in that event. If they don't offer PB, they may let you compete Bronze - it never hurts to ask. :)

12. purple skates

You should also eligible for Pre-Silver Solo Dance. (Passed all bronze but no more than one silver.)

13. Skittl1321

I agree.
    But you likely can't enter both in the same competition- you'd have to pick a level.

14. purple skates

Yes - I believe you have to pick one or the other. Unlike interpretive, where you can do both dramatic and light entertainment.

15. GarrAarghHrumph

Based on the state of my solo dancing, I'd better pick bronze. ;)

16. GarrAarghHrumph

For the Adult pre-bronze singles free skate, the Adult silver dramatic skate, and the Adult silver light entertainment skate, can you use music with words? And for the solo dance, is it like a dance test, where the music pretty much is what the music is?

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Yes.

I think so.

18. Skittl1321

You can use music with words for all those categories. It is still somewhat rare in the freeskates, but almost expected in the dramatic/light entertainment. Light entertainment especially you act out a character. (If you have icenetwork check out the archives- some people go all out!) Dramatic you could be a character, or you can 'evoke the feeling' of the music. (Well, you can do that in LE too, but more people play characters.)

I don't dance, but I'm 99% sure the solo dance is the compulsory dances (that part I know) and the music is predetermined (that part I'm almost certain).

19. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Yes, the solo dance event is compulsory dances, and they provide the music. They have several standard selections for each dance, which get rotated. You don't know in advance which music you'll actually skate to, so it's to your benefit to practice to as many selections as possible.

20. GarrAarghHrumph

I think I've decided to do the solo dance. I need to talk to my coach about which level is best. I'm in the middle of preparing to test a second pre-silver dance, so we'd either do that, or not, depending on what level we decide is best for me to skate at. I'm not in it to win it. I just don't want to totally embarrass myself. ;)

21. purple skates

You'll have fun. :) The adult dance community is very supportive. (Well, the whole adult community is very supportive too :lol:)

22. daisies

daisies New Member

Do you mind if I ask which Pre-Silver dance you have passed and which one you were intending to take soon?

Here’s why I ask. The dances selected for next year are Fiesta Tango and Ten Fox for Bronze and Ten Fox and European Waltz for Pre-Silver. If the European Waltz is the Pre-Silver dance test you were planning to take soon -- or if it’s not the one you have already passed -- you can use your entry into Pre-Silver Solo Dance as way to bring you closer to your goal of passing your next test(s). You will basically be killing two birds with one stone, so to speak!

If you enter Bronze, you will be doing dances you have already passed – not that there is anything wrong with that, of course, but if you, like me, have limited time to skate, this would be less “efficient,” for lack of a better word. :)

If you are not on any timetable to pass your tests and/or would feel more comfortable at Bronze, then enter that level. It might be a good way to get your feet wet!

23. GarrAarghHrumph

The European Waltz is the one I haven't even started working on yet, and I can tell it will take me some time to accomplish it. I passed the Fourteenstep.

24. GarrAarghHrumph

Change of plans. Looks like I'm not doing solo dance. The mohawk of death in the fourteen step... I will do interpretive instead, or dramatic. Of course, there is a slight problem. I am an ice dancer. I do not jump. This should be... interesting.

I did some baby jumps this morning with my coach. I haven't jumped in 10 years. :lol:

What is the difference between dramatic and interpretive? Is there one?

From reading the rulebook, is it the case that there are no required elements for this event?

25. Debbie S

I think the events are either artistic/dramatic or comedy/entertainment? (or did they change the names?) Artistic/dramatic programs are more conventional - standard skating costume, pop/rock/classical music. The comedy category is the more theatrical one - non-traditional costuming and makeup, theatrical concepts.

You don't need to do any jumps. They key is not to fall or stumble, so do what you do well. The judging is about how well your skating movements express the music or theme.

26. daisies

daisies New Member

Aww, too bad about solo dance. But why won't you be doing it? Fourteenstep isn't one of the dances.

You don't need any jumps for either Dramatic Skate or Light Entertainment Skate. :)

27. purple skates

28. GarrAarghHrumph

Ah, gagh! I believe that I mean the ten fox, not the fourteen step. All these dances with "fox" and/or numbers in their name, I get confused. But anyway, discussed it with my coach, and she thinks I should do the interpretive. And from the description that Debbie S just gave, it's the artistic/dramatic program she means. But I will confirm with her which dances are on offer, to be sure we're not both confused!

29. GarrAarghHrumph

Yup, I meant the ten fox. Sorry. Evil mohawk of death = ten fox. Evil other mohawk of death = fourteen step.

30. GarrAarghHrumph

In the end, I'm doing the silver light entertainment.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a silver dramatic, but we'll see.