2014 U.S. Stars on Ice tour (April 4 - May 18) ~ articles, photos, reports/reviews

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 5, 2014.

1. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I want to know too. Suggestions he leaves Kori because she does not have experience might make him mad.

2. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

Nice of Taylor to support Gracie. I wonder where she watched the show from (a private box perhaps?) Seems like there weren't a lot of people who saw her at the Nassau Coliseum.

3. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

hmmmm... that would possibly make him mad!

4. misskarne

misskarne #408

Oh good one, I didn't think of that.

5. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

It is kind of disappointing to me that Adam Rippon is not in any of the tour shows, even as a guest. The partnership with USFS this season obviously made placement at US Nationals a big factor in terms of who got invited. That said, his accomplishments during the entirety of the season, outside of his disappointing nationals, would seem to warrant inviting him. The dwindling number of US fans who are willing to shell out for tickets to a show which is the equivalent of the Nationals Chevy spectacular (minus the cute Novices) would certainly be glad to see him perform. JMHO.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  6. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Agree with everything you said AND he's an IMG client. I'm actually kind of floored he's not in the show.
    I also thoroughly enjoyed Kim & Brent but kept wondering what was their connection that got them regular cast status ? Bradley is an IMG guy and kind of Scott lite so I get him. But their inclusion with all these 2010-2014 quad skaters is random at least with this cast makeup.

7. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Kim & Brent skated as the regular cast last year. IIRC, there was no pair and two ice dance couples (Kerr & Kerr as well) in the US tour. The tour was during the competition season, so the cast consists of all professionals.

My guess is they needed relatively young (US born) professionals to stabilize the tour this year, so came Ryan Bradley, Kim and Brent (and Alissa). There is no active professional pair team from US. Belbin & Agosto are no longer interested in shows. Evan Lysacek is recovering from a series of injuries. Sasha Cohen is going to school.

I remember there was a business article on a deal between IMG and USFS. It could be a reason why they do not have any foreign cast in the current format.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  8. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

This.^

9. misskarne

misskarne #408

Maybe Adam didn't want to go? Or was busy doing other things...like earning money choreographing? I'm sure he could make a lot more money establishing himself as a choreographer than he would with Stars on Ice.

10. kwanette

Adam is in China now doing a week of shows. He wasn't asked to be in SOI.

Adam Rippon‏@Adaripp·Apr 13
    Middle seat, middle row. Destination: China. http://instagram.com/p/mvdGaRvY0J/

Adam Rippon‏@Adaripp·Apr 13
    On my way to Zhengzhou, China for a fun week of shows! First stop... Shanghai.
    Expand

Adam Rippon‏@Adaripp·Apr 13
    On my way to Zhengzhou, China for a fun week of shows! First stop... Shanghai.
    Expand

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  11. NYScorp6

NYScorp6 Member

I went to the Long Island show on Sunday and enjoyed it very much. Charlie & Meryl seemed to be the crowd favorites, along with Gracie (especially her Frozen number) and Jason who was a guest skater along with Marissa & Simon. Several wipe outs including the men's group number ( it seemed as if Charlie lost an edge and took out two other guys) and Jason on a 3lutz during his Riverdance program (I thought he was going right into the "on-ice" seats, it was close). The show had a simpler less dramatic feel to it, almost but not quite like the Champions on Ice tours, which was just fine by me. It was good to see Alissa skating again, very limited jumping ability and her usual great spins. Mirai's "Demons" number choreographed by Adam Rippon was very good, I hope she can carry that confidence into next year. Jeremy's 'contemporary" style is not my cup of tea, hunched over posture and strange facial expressions should not be considered choreography IMO.

They also had fliers on the seats trying to pre sell next years tour, which is interesting since they have skipped the NYC metro area for several years. Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel?

12. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

What is up with that? Is she injured?

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

14. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

She missed one of her axels in Newark last week too... it continues to be a problem jump for her. At least then, she sure didnt appear to be injured. She was flying across the ice with loads of personality. She looked happy to be cutting loose, and it was great to see.

I also wanted to mention belatedly that Ashley's first program (not Young and Beautiful) was really powerful and I felt I had never seen her skate so well. Whatever the music was, it was very aggressive and suited her to a T. I wondered if she would be bold enough to use it for an SP next season. Why not? She could launch the vocal era with a bang.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

"Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics (choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne).

ETA:
    Also, Chock/Bates were featured in SOI's official promo video for the U.S. tour but reportedly decided not to join (not sure if they were invited for all 20 stops or we're planning to do selected cities like their fellow Olympians Castelli/Shnapir, Brown, and Edmunds, plus Aaron).

P.S. I wish Olympians Zhang/Bartholomay had been invited to one or more of the Florida stops at least (and/or maybe even one of the stops close to one of their hometowns in NJ and PA, respectively).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. kwanette

17. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  18. NYScorp6

NYScorp6 Member

19. Spun Silver

She really liked Mirai too. :D

20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! Very nice.

My goal is to have mine up by the end of the weekend...hopefully.

21. worldsnice12

worldsnice12 Member

I have never seen Mirai this expressive :eek: :swoon:

Maybe the emotional ride she went through during Nationals really made her realise how much she actually love skating and finally start to skate for herself too..
    I wish she could bring this momentum (along with a good coach!) into next season.

22. Spun Silver

Don't we all!

23. misskarne

misskarne #408

Wow, what great photos! Love Josh's red shirt. Now if only I could see the program...

24. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Is there any published data on how this year's attendance compares with previous years?

25. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

The providence, R.I. pics are amazing!

I was hoping that Felicia & Nate would be invited to @ least some of the SOI shows too, especially in Florida, & possibly NJ. They did perform in the Skating Club of Wilmington show last Thursday through Saturday (got to see them on Saturday evening).

Adam Rippon had such a wonderful season (until Nationals). I was hoping he'd have an opportunity to skate with SOI in the US tour, too.

All said, I hope next seasons tours don't overlap, and that the cast is international in scope!

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Review of last night's Albany show: http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/stars-on-ice-times-union-center-418/33014/
    ETA this backstage cast photo in Albany (Max Aaron joined the tour in Manchester, NH 2 nights ago): http://instagram.com/p/m-dEGGCFAw/

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  27. icellist

icellist Member

was planning to get tickets at the door for the Albany show but my supervisor wanted me to expedite my work. Sigh, life of a poor college student.

28. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I have been to lots of skating events at Verizon and there is never much energy there, no matter how close to full it is. I don't know what the deal is with that building, but it totally sucks the life (and noise) out of skating audiences. It is so weird, because the Landover arena was not that much smaller, yet that building rocked. Especially when you consider the audiences they used to pull every year for COI and World Pros in Landover, things just feel dead at Verizon Center (and did even the very first year after the switch for World Pros).

I used to prefer going to Baltimore to see SOI. For one thing, if you are going to have to spend more than hour commuting to an SOI show, you may as well make a day of it and Baltimore is a fun place to visit (unlike Hershey, PA, which I did once). While still having NHL size ice, the Baltimore arena is smaller than Verizon and probably costs less to rent. Even thru the last SOI tour there, the arena seemed to be about 3/4 full, so I never understood why SOI abandoned the VA-DC-MD audiences altogether.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's what's on the Cumberland County Civic Center (Portland, Maine) website for tonight (additions/corrections made by me below):

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  30. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

The way the seats are configured for SOI, the ice is actually a bit smaller than NHL size. And the building is old (I really wish the city and sponsors would just get it together and build a new arena already). COI's last year there was 2004; SOI was 2008. I suspect it was a combination of wanting a nicer facility and thinking they could draw a larger audience that sent them both to DC. And I guess the expense of renting Verizon (and scheduling challenges with both NHL and NBA games) combined with disappointing attendance led them to just leave altogether. In 2010, I think Verizon may have been about 3/4 full and maybe half full in 2011, the last year SOI was there. I wish they would come back, but I guess I can't argue with their economics.