2014 U.S. Stars on Ice tour (April 4 - May 18) ~ articles, photos, reports/reviews

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 5, 2014.

1. RD

RD Well-Known Member

The Newark show last Wednesday was great! Favorites were probably Brown, Gold, D/W, Nagasu #2 but everyone was good.

I took some shots as well, hopefully I can share some with you guys soon.

2. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

3. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

In a one-hour broadcast, I have pretty much no hope that his solo will be shown. I'm crossing fingers they'll included the guys' group number, though.

4. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

i'm guessing they'll show opening and closing numbers, Meryl and Charlie obviously, Ashley and Gracie, Jeremy, and maybe the girls' and/or guys' numbers.

5. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Just got home from Providence - my impressions are pretty similar to what has been posted.
    Mirai - just lovely, and I was at Nationals in Boston, and she was wonderful, the choreography fits her and she was a major highlight.
    Josh - so fun in the group number. He is such a classical skater - fun to see him doing something different.
    and with Jason - as others posted in mens/nationals - with Josh, Jason and Max - the next quad will be great - each different.
    Jason so cute doing the intro for the second half. Both his programs were great - and crowd favorites
    NavBoms - love seeing them again
    Alissa and Jeremy duet - nice
    Rest of Alissa - beautiful, not high difficulty, except spins were wonderful
    Jeremy's first number - don't know song, he skated great - but the music was too fast, not a good match
    Meryl & Charlie - the Rach piece is divine. Plus how are they doing this and DWTS - so impressed with their energy.
    I enjoyed the show.
    Not be negative - but having gone to SOI for over 20 + years - I really miss the big intricate group numbers. I know it cant be done due to timing of worlds and having competing skaters. The group numbers were what made SOI unique.
    Also glad to see NavBoms and Bradley and Josh - but miss the international flavor.
    Couldn't we at least get some Canadians?
    The lower section of the arena was almost full. Compared to other SOI shows the last few years - one of the better attended ones.
    And there were preorder forms for next year. Nice - I live near Hartford - Providence is under 2 hrs for me, last year the closest was Portland, ME - 4 hrs away.
    Wish it would come back to Hartford (or Bridgeport or Worcester).
    I am glad I went to the show, enjoyed it, but it also makes me miss the shows from years ago.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  6. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

SOI broadcast (taped in Orlando, FL) has started in the Eastern time zone - link to a live stream is posted in TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...day-April-13&p=4238348&viewfull=1#post4238348

ETA a list of the programs shown by NBC:
    D&W's Scheherazade
    Brown's Riverdance
    Wagner's Young & Beautiful
    Guys' group number! :cheer:
    Navarro/Bommentre's How do you like me now? (glad to see them get the exposure!)
    Abbott's Latch
    Gold's Let it Go
    D&W's Rach. 2
    Finale to Don't Stop Believin'

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  8. shuilee

shuilee Well-Known Member

Is there a video of Josh Farris solo program anywhere? I think that's the one skate I can't find on youtube.

9. Sylvia

^^^ Have you searched YouTube today? I haven't found a fan cam copy yet.

ETA: Just searched again and nope. Hopefully it will show up at some point!

10. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

11. marysy

marysy Active Member

I had the same thought upon seeing those costumes! They're used in the opening group number. I think those are black though and G&G's were actually a very dark blue.

Pleasantly surprised that they showed the guys' group number and Kim and Brent on NBC! Would've been great if they showed one of Mirai's numbers...

12. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

NBC coverage was great. Highlights for me were definitely Jeremy's Latch, Jason's Riverdance & the boys group number. Ashley's Young & Beautiful was lovely too! I had my reservations about this format/model for the tour and ate them. I like it when I prove myself wrong!

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

For once, the coverage made me wish I had tickets to the show!

14. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Wish you did, too, Doris! It was fabulous!

15. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Me too, but the tour is coming nowhere near me. :(

16. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I believe you are right about G&G's dark blue costumes! I wish they had shown Mirai's numbers after all of the rave reviews I saw in this thread - oh well, I am grateful for the videos that you and others here uploaded and/or posted! :D

Nor me. :(

17. redfiretrees

Yey! Someone has already uploaded a great HD copy of the whole NBC coverage of Stars on Ice on Youtube.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgmkHAF0jkY

Also Ashley posted this photo on Instagram with the caption:

http://instagram.com/p/mvdu43iry1/

It's such a cute note. It looks like the ladies will miss Jason since he'll be gone for a few stops since he's only doing 11 right? the other 8 will be Max Aaron?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  18. el henry

el henry still fangirling for Toller

19. Sylvia

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  20. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

21. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Again, I'm so impressed. He's done a great job on this number. He's choreographing her competitive programs for next season right? Can't wait to see them.

22. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Adam has potential, but he sure does love those angsty hair/face grabs in his choreo for Ashley and Mirai. :lol: It's almost at a drinking-game level of overuse.

23. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Quick review of the Long Island, NY show yesterday. For those curious, I would say that the arena was about half full but the audience was very enthusiastic and overall a decent crowd. D&W obviously got the loudest applause along with Gracie, Ashley, Mirai and Jeremy. Ashley skated like a rock star and didn't miss a jump(flip, loop, axel). Mirai was also great and didn't miss any of her jumps in either program(including a lutz and flip). Gracie wasn't so lucky with a doubled lutz and a fall on a double axel. Jason Brown also had a fall in his Riverdance program which was a great opener for the show. Great triple axels from Jeremy and Josh and a nice one foot landed back flip from Ryan Bradley too. Really a great show with a lot of solid skating from all. If you have a chance to see it, go out and support these fine skaters!

24. misskarne

25. misskarne

Yep, Max is doing the 8 shows Jason's skipping. (Darn, no golden trio.) Not a bad replacement, I would say. ;)

More importantly, I want to know the answer to that question :p

26. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Active Member

Shucks, I was hoping that there would be some overlap and Jason, Josh, and Max would skate together for at least one show. The Chosen Three are just too adorable...

27. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Mirai has a lot to be angsty about. Made sense to me. :)

28. deetrakt

deetrakt Member

I really like "angsty". It looks and sounds nice and weird and has 4 straight consonants, even without the "y". If I use it elsewhere, will most people know what I mean?

29. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Is that the new David Wilson-face stroke? :lol:

30. redfiretrees

Agree, I want to know the answer. We were kept hanging! Maybe the answer is nothing? Jason is such a cheery person that nothing makes him mad? haha. :saint: