2014 U.S. Stars on Ice tour (April 4 - May 18) ~ articles, photos, reports/reviews

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Maybe Josh's schedule with his choreographer doesn't conflict with SOI schedule, where Jason's does?
    Or maybe Josh is like "I got my quad" and Jason needs a lot of time to be working on a new element?
    Or maybe Josh needs funding more than Jason does so he had to prioritize shows over training?

I do think Jason chose to not do all the shows; and training could be the reason why.

Reading all the posts about Max going to Worlds, I certainly get the impression that many people think Max is lesser quality...

2. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

But Josh has probably been working on new programs while Jason and Max did Olys and Worlds

3. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

There was a wink face after that sentence for a reason. Of course there are varying reasons why one might choose one show and one might choose another.

Anyway, Josh and Jason goofing around on the bus with surprise!Polina, to make everyone happy. :)

Poor Max.

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Jason is starting choreographing his new programs with Rohene Waed early in May. There may well be a conflict there with Rohene's European commitments.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Re-posting from the Davis/White fan thread...

Davis/White's "Scheherazade" (fancam in Fort Myers on opening night): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUd14gLh6JE

I'm not surprised Polina Edmunds can twizzle up a storm - her choreographer is Marina Klimova and one of her best buddies is Klimova's ice dancer son, Anthony Ponomarenko. :)

6. caitie

caitie Member

To Build A Home is a gorgeous song. Josh has good taste!

Also I read on TSL that he is keeping his current free skate program for next season. Maybe that factors in somehow with doing the whole tour, either a cause or effect?

7. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Really tempted to do the San Diego show. Looked on line and tickets seem to be available (not that I was expecting that to be an issue) I may just book it when I get my May schedule firmed up in a few weeks.

8. rustymuffins

rustymuffins New Member

Not at all! It was more akin to a sad male ballad type program, but it was quite beautiful! I really enjoyed it, and the audience did as well. I haven't followed him much, but that program made me a fan. He also started off the men's group routine and was really quite fun there showing off some dancing moves.

Polina started off her skate to something else, can't recall at the moment, but ended it with Uptown Girl and showed off her jumps nicely.

Alissa was so-so on the jumps, but her spins/spirals were nice from what I remember and she was graceful as always. Disappointed with the jumps, but quite lovely!

9. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Thanks for your reviews, rustymuffins. There's nothing like just being there, is there?

10. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed it, rustymuffins! I really want to go one of them... Maybe I'll buy tickets. They're not sold out yet in my area. But the meet and greet tickets are all sold out!

I had the same experience as you recognizing these skaters and seeing them in real life for the first time in Sochi (at the Olympics of all places)! The figure skating arena in Sochi felt kind of small for an Olympic arena also, and literally half the seats were empty during the first few days of competitions (which was good since we got to fill in some of those empty seats for the TV ;)). Anyways, it feels so weird to actually recognize them in person, stand literally 3 feet away from them (after seeing them on TV for long) and then actually going up to them and asking for an autograph or a picture (and hope that they don't look annoyed lol) and talking to them for a minute or two. Though my experience was a little different because I was the only person who could recognize some of the lesser known competitors (and even the more famous ones :eek: like Mao and V/M).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  11. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Thank you! Hope she can keep up her jumps enough to have a pro career. Love her.

12. misskarne

*happy squeal* omigosh I hope this is true!

Thankyou so much! :) I can't wait to see the videos...hope he doesn't get chacked from the broadcast!

13. Sylvia

14. Sylvia

15. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

Thanks Sylvia for all the links! Will watch when I get home from work! :)

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pic links & videos, Sylvia. Two more days until the Newark, NJ show, woohoo!

17. redfiretrees

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  18. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I was at the Orlando show, it was fantastic. Crowd was awesome, pretty full and its a huge arena! Everyone was amazing and we even got 4 partial reskates for the tv show. Plus Scott Hamilton! Had a very fun time!

19. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Thanks for the links!! I love this version, which developed the beginning part beautifully (given they didn't have to jam in as much content). :)

20. redfiretrees

Thanks for sharing your SOI experience. Which skaters did the partial reskates? What did you think about the Ladies group dance? I can't seem to find any short clip or videos just photos. I know rustymuffins said that it was a bit of a head scratcher. haha.

21. ~tapdancer~

The rekates were Ryan, Jason, Gracie and Mirai. Gracie was trying to get the double axel clean, took two tries and we all roared when she got it. The guys got their clean jumps with one try. Charlie was with them on the mic and when he brought out Mirai, he told us "this is really hard" and thanked us for the enthusiastic applause, everyone was really cheering them on. Mirai did her retake in one try. The Ladies number was curious, Meryl was dressed different than the other four who had on tutus, the song was about being "special'. At one point they lifted her together. They used a ballet barre, too. The guys number was fun, they did a four man lift, lifting Josh.

22. redfiretrees

Thanks so much for answering my questions. :D Hmmm... the ladies number seems different hoping someone will record a video of it. I wish they made a fun number like the guys. Ohh.... seems like Gracie's having trouble with her double axels lately. Hopefully it's not turning into mental jump for her... Awww... seems like a pretty fun night for the audience and the skaters too since you (the audience) were very supportive.

Thanks again! :)

23. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I wanted to go see the May show but it is the same day I have tickets for ingrid michaelson. Ugh.

24. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

25. Sylvia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbKdMG-NiU4

Is this Jason Brown's TV retake from last night or the beginning of his original Riverdance performance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfDXeAJz3I

Same user has uploaded more fancam excerpts:

D/W's Rach. performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gxar6YiPvI

D/W's "Scheherazade": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZnGhhZxMN0

Finale to "Happy": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oar0QLmWHrM

Gold's retake of "Let it Go": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CfqilZ1rc

26. redfiretrees

Ooops....sorry about that. Thanks for pointing it out. Edited the link already.

Thanks again Sylvia!

27. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

28. misskarne

:lol: I can't wait to see a video of this.

29. ~tapdancer~

Pretty sure the Jason vid above, Sylvia, is the retake. He didn't hit those jumps clean the first time. He came out for the retake and nailed them.

30. Sylvia