2014 U.S. Stars on Ice tour (April 4 - May 18) ~ articles, photos, reports/reviews

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Official site: http://www.starsonice.com
    U.S. cast: http://www.starsonice.com/the-skaters.html

The first show has kicked off in Fort Myers, Florida. Here's Jason Brown's selfie with Polina Edmunds before the show: http://pic.twitter.com/n2jhYeIpcL

On ice shot of the U.S. SOI full-time cast in Florida, tweeted by @starsonice on April 2nd: http://pic.twitter.com/6tGmdIR9yj
    (Davis/White, Abbott, Wagner, Gold, Nagasu, Czisny, Bradley, Farris, Navarro/Bommentre)

NBC is scheduled to air a 1-hour broadcast on Sunday, April 13 from 3-4 pm Eastern.

ETA 2 publicity articles in local media that are are Meryl Davis-focused:

Orlando (FL) Sentinel: Meryl Davis a star on the ice and off

Pennlive.com ahead of the Hershey (PA) show: Meryl Davis on 'Dancing with the Stars,' 'Stars on Ice,' Princess Jasmine and more
    U.S. main cast group photo posted on Stars on Ice's Facebook fan page:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bkan4pwIUAELuvf.jpg:large

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

3. shuilee

shuilee Well-Known Member

Gracie Gold performing to "Let It Go" (Frozen soundtrack).

Any other music news from the Tour?

4. Sylvia

5. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

The order of the list is wrong. They listed by the name of the skaters, not by the performance order. Some interesting observation:

The Opening/Closing numbers?
    Don't stop believin' by Rock of Ages
    When you are not saving the world by Hans Zimmer

Ladies' number:
    Creep by Scala and Calacny Brothers

Men's number:
    The walker by Fits and the Tantrums

Duet by Alissa and Jeremy:
    Piano Guys by Van Cliburn and Dave Brubeck (This is the number performed by Joannie and Jeff last year at CSOI. They decided to recycle it!)

6. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to how well attended the show was.

7. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Aww, Josh is the only full-time cast member with just one solo. :( Can we swap out Ryan's heavy metal number? (or either of Gracie's) :shuffle:

8. rustymuffins

rustymuffins New Member

I'm apparently easy to please, because I had a great time! It went by so quickly, too. It didn't look like the arena was too full, sadly enough. Seems like a lot of pockets of the upper sections were empty. Parking was only $5 (!!!) and the venue was a little smaller than I'm used to, so maybe the bigger cities/arenas will get a little more of an audience. Still, a fun show and well worth the 2 hour drive for me.

It's so freaky to me to recognize skaters just casually walking among "the rabble." I saw Polina Edmunds walking to an alternate entrance right before her performance, and after the show saw Tanith heading to a backstage area. Meryl Davis also caused a bit of a stir in the ladies bathroom during the intermission merely by gracing us commoners with her presence (she walked right in front of me on her way out and I could only stare for those 2 seconds in a manner I hope wasn't too creepy).

9. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with us. What or whose number/program did you enjoy the most?

Can't wait to see YouTube videos of the show since that's the only way I'll be able to watch it.

10. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Hi rustymuffins, did Gracie use the proper version of Let it Go or did she use the crappy Demi Lovato cover?

11. caitie

caitie Member

It says it's the Idina version on the music list.

12. shuilee

shuilee Well-Known Member

Why no mention of Jason Brown or Polina Edmunds on the music list? Anyone know what they performed?

13. Sylvia

The published music list is usually for the full-time cast members. Jason said in his Today Show interview that he would be performing a version of his "Riverdance" on SOI (ETA: scratch that, he just said he was skating to it on Rockefeller Center ice, but I know it was supposed to be one of his SOI numbers): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-Brown-to-perform-on-TODAY-Show-Wed-April-2nd

Thanks for your report, rustymuffins!

14. redfiretrees

Basing it from the some of the videos I saw on FB and Youtube. Jason Brown performed his Riverdance and You Can't Touch This. As for Polina I don't know since haven't seen any videos yet of her performances.

15. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Jason opened the show with a show version of Riverdance. He is supposed to be using MC Hammer for his other number. There is a really poor fancam version of the opening number on YouTube.

16. Sylvia

17. rustymuffins

rustymuffins New Member

The music list matched up with what I saw/heard--Gracie wisely used Idina's version of Let It Go. She wore an extremely sparkly light blue dress to go along with it, which cracked me up. Jason did end up performing Riverdance and Can't Touch This, and just like most everywhere he goes the audience went crazy for him.

My personal favorite was D/W's variation of Scheherazade, which they skated right before the ending number (but I'm a big fan of theirs anyway, so grain of salt!). They switched up the beginning slightly so he's alone on the ice and she comes out and starts "the seduction," if you will, skating on her own as she heads over to him, and then they eventually get back to a version more akin to their competition piece (though I recall seeing a Samson & Delilah lift in there as well). The audience gave that performance the most extended applause (probably aided by the fact that they stayed on the ice a little longer since it seems they were waiting for a music cue for the finale to start :p). I also loved seeing Jason Brown's performances, he's so charismatic and quite the crowd favorite. Jeremy Abbott's pieces were also nice, as you can tell they're experimenting with choreography and doing some cool stuff, and Navarro/Bommentre had some awesome lifts.

The men's number was a fun closeout to the first act, though the women's number right after intermission was a bit of a headscratcher (I also came in like 30 seconds into it as I lost track of time during the intermission, so I might have missed something)--they did some interesting stuff at a barre they placed in the middle of the ice, and everyone but Meryl had on a tutu and leg warmers. Still enjoyed it though! Both groups also included a lift of one skater by the other skaters, in this case Joshua Farris and Meryl in their respective men's/ladies numbers.

To be honest, there were very few duds, and even the duds had some interesting/fun elements. My group just dorked out over the entire thing. And even for a slightly smaller crowd, the audience was very enthusiastic. We don't normally get Olympic figure skaters in our neck of the woods, so that might contribute to my enjoyment of the performances. Overall, a good night was had by all! But like I said earlier, I'm very easy to please :)

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyone reporting back!

19. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks rustymusffins for your detailed report! Sounds like a great show!!

20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gracie skating to Let it Go? Well i guess someone had too. :eek:

21. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Does Alissa look OK? I love her show skating

22. redfiretrees

Thanks so much rustymuffins! We really appreciate this detailed account. Thanks!

23. misskarne

Oh yeah, that was the other question I had for you, rustymuffins, if you don't mind! What was Josh's new program like? Is it another sad male ballad? Or more fun?

24. redfiretrees

Read on twitter than Polina performed to Uptown Girl.

25. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I haven't seen the show, but I'm familiar with the song he's skating to and it's slow and emotional (and very beautiful). I remember it being used on So You Think You Can Dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB0ordd2nOI

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks, rustymuffins, for sharing your SOI experience! Our turn comes this Wednesday evening in Newark, NJ. Can't wait! :encore: :cheer:

27. Flip Jump

Flip Jump Member

I like Joshua Ferris, but why is he in all the shows and Jason doing only 12. Was it his choice or the tour's choice.

28. misskarne

Joshua FARRIS was invited as a full-time cast member independent of the Olympians.

I think it might have been Jason's choice to only do 12 shows. But he is replaced by Max Aaron for the other 8, so it's not like he was replaced by someone of lesser quality.

29. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Maybe they needed a Taller guy for the cast numbers? Farris is 3-4 inches taller than Jason. But it's more likely due to Jason's need to get back to training.

30. misskarne

:lol: I like your logic. :)

But the second part of your logic is a bit flawed since Josh is also continuing this season ;)