2014 Summer TV Premiere Schedule

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AliasJohnDoe, May 6, 2014.

1. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Hmm, think for me you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I don't like the conspiracy theories in 99% of the show - and these days it seems every show has to have one, from NCIS, The Mentalist and Castle all the way up and down the dial. I much prefer the straight ahead episodes and ignore the bits with the conspiracies so when they devote the whole show to that part I tend to stop watching. If a show is all about the conspiracy all the time I find very few interesting enough to watch unless they are really well done. That said I do have a few favourites with 24 being probably one of the best - yes I am willing to suspend my disbelief of the real-time time-line that can't possibly work.

2. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

He has lovely eyes. :D

3. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Just noticed - "Rookie Blue" returns tonight (Thursday 6/19/2014) on ABC at 9:00PM.

4. AliasJohnDoe

New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday June 22/2014 - Saturday June 28/2014: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/25/tv-premieres_n_5078768.html

Sunday, June 22
    "Wipeout: 7 p.m. EDT on ABC
    "The Last Ship" 9 p.m. EDT on TNT
    "Rising Star" 9 p.m. EDT on ABC
    "True Blood" 9 p.m. EDT on HBO
    "Falling Skies" 10 p.m. EDT on TNT

Monday, June 23
    "Teen Wolf 10 p.m. EDT on MTV

Tuesday, June 24
    “Covert Affairs” 10 p.m. EDT on USA
    "NY Med" 10 p.m. EDT on ABC

Wednesday, June 25
    "Young and Hungry 8 p.m. EDT on ABC Family
    "Big Brother" 8 p.m. EDT on CBS
    "Mystery Girls" 8:30 p.m. EDT on ABC Family
    "Taxi Brooklyn 10 p.m. EDT on NBC

Please post any shows I may have missed.

5. AliasJohnDoe

New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday June 29/2014 - Saturday July 5/2014: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/25/tv-premieres_n_5078768.html

Sunday, June 29
    "Last Tango in Halifax" 8 p.m. EDT on PBS
    "Reckless" 9 p.m. EDT on CBS
    "The Leftovers" 10 p.m. EDT on HBO
    "Unforgettable 10 p.m. EDT on CBS

Monday, June 30
    "Under the Dome" 10 p.m. EDT on CBS

6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Also Endeavour on PBS (Masterpiece Mystery), Sunday at 9:00.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Looking forward to The Last ship. :respec:

8. Skate Talker

Saw The Last Ship pilot last week.... Will watch again but not sure - depend where they start going with it.

9. AliasJohnDoe

New Shows:
    I like "The Last Ship", "Dominion" and "Penny Dreadful" so far. Curious to see what "The Leftovers" and "The Strain" is like.

Returning Shows:
    Love "True Blood", "Falling Skies", "Teen Wolf" and "Defiance". :swoon:

Excited for the return of "Under The Dome" and "The Witches of East End"(next Sunday).

10. colinmom71

colinmom71 Well-Known Member

Okay, I have to go all fan-girl and mention that August 9 is the premier of "Outlander" on Starz.

I'm also enjoying "The Last Ship" and "Penny Dreadful", though the only thing I care about with "True Blood" anymore is whether Eric and Lafayette survive...

11. Skate Talker

Tried to watch Reckless last night but first 2 minutes included 4 up-close butt-wiggle shots, 2 6-inch heel shots, a bent-over, tight skirt shot, a couple of leering looks, an internet t-shirt pin-up shot.... all as part of the main character set up and not part of the actual story. Couldn't hack it long enough to see if they even had a story. Very disappointed.

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We enjoyed Reckless. They are trying a bit too hard to be sexy, and I don't think the lead female character quite has it nor is there great chemistry between her and the lead male, but I think he could develop nicely over time and hopefully the rest of it settles down. Pilots are usually filmed way before the next episodes, so I'll definitely give the next one a shot. Doesn't look like it will be super high quality award winning TV or anything, but a nice summer diversion perhaps.

Bummed that Friends with Better Lives was yanked even before all the eps aired - I thought it was quite strong and was looking forward to having a new comedy in my week. Talk is that the ratings were actually pretty good and that the show is now being shopped to other networks, so we'll see, but it doesn't look good. :(

13. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Interesting opening for Under the Dome. Can't wait to see where they go from here. Loved the cameo by Stephen King.

14. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^^ A lot of parts had me going .... REALLY?! COME ON!!! Then I remembered it was a show about a big dome coming down and blocking off this town from the outside world, so it kinda made me feel better. :rofl:

I didn't even notice the Stephen King part until like a second later and I was like "hey was that Stephen King?" That was kind of funny. :lol:

15. Artemis@BC

16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It certainly is; although I wish the wait weren't so long.
    I suppose we can blame that on the success/offers that "Sherlock" has brought to all concerned.

17. AliasJohnDoe

New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday July 6/2014 - Saturday July 12/2014: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/25/tv-premieres_n_5078768.html

Wednesday, July 9
    "Extant" 9 p.m. EDT on CBS

Thursday, July 10
    "Welcome to Sweden" 9 p.m. EDT on NBC
    "Working the Engels" 9:30 p.m. EDT on NBC

Friday, July 11
    "Hemlock Grove" 12 a.m. EDT on Netflix

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Reckless definitely picked up in ep 2 - whereas all the characters in ep 1 seemed pretty black and white, they've now introduced a lot of grey. I also thought this was going to be the usual formulaic drama with a complete case each ep and some continuing tension between the leads - but it's now looking more like a cross between a traditional night time soap and a crime drama, with some complete cases but others that continue, and a lot more character development.

Again, not groundbreaking or award winning, but I'm in. :)

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Watching Extant and I am so creeped out! It is definitely a keeper! I can't believe how good Halle Barry looks at 47! :cheer2:

20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Endeavour Morse :swoon: Finally watched the first two eps on pbs.org. I don't know WHAT it is about that actor's voice, it's just very, very. . . I could listen to him read the dictionary all day. (I really like his neighbor, Monica, too. She is SO sweet. He better apologize!!)

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Why oh why did they have Roman kill that beautiful defenceless horsey!!!! And I am two episodes in and Shelly still has not made an appearance yet!
    :(

23. AliasJohnDoe

I'm bingeing Hemlock Grove this weekend too.

Looking forward to "The Strain" this Sunday too.

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hemlock Grove & 24 are now my favourite shows this summer. :cheer2:

25. Artemis@BC

Caught up with Extant over the weekend. Not a bad start, lots of potential here, I'll definitely keep watching this one. There were a few too many secrets going on piled into the pilot for my liking, but I guess you kind of need that for a show of this type. My biggest peeve though was with the scenes shot "in space" -- so, she's all alone on a solo mission for however many months ... but still takes the time to put on makeup? :rolleyes:

I also caught up with the first episode of an Australian thriller series that CBC is airing, Secrets and Lies. Another one with lots of good creepy stuff -- I love a good murder mystery.

(When I went looking for it on imdb I came across a US remake of it that's scheduled to air sometime later this year -- ok then.)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  26. AliasJohnDoe

"The Strain" could be my new favorite summer series.

27. Artemis@BC

So is anyone watching Vicious on PBS? I'm curious about others' opinions.

When I saw an episode a while back in I thought it was some of the worst TV I'd ever seen. The "jokes" and stereotypes are at least 40 years out of date -- and they wouldn't have been funny back then either. I've never been a fan of insult humour anyway, but this particular brand of insult humour doesn't even have that undercurrent of oh-I-shouldn't-laugh-at-this.

I decided to give it another shot when PBS aired it, and my opinion changed from "appalling" to "sad." Sad that three stellar actors (McKellan, Jacobi, and de la Tour) could get involved in such painfully unfunny drivel and then have to defend it as being edgy and groundbreaking.

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I feel much the same.
    I suppose I have a very different idea of what is funny, groundbreaking or edgy than the producers/writers do..

29. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I was really looking forward to seeing the Strain, but turned it off half way through because I thought it was so bad! Crossing this one off my list permanently.

30. AliasJohnDoe

"Extant" episode #2 was better than the first.

One thing I took notice of. Hiroyuki Sanada's character in "Extant" reminds me of his character in "Helix". The secretive scientist.