2014 Olympic figure skating team selection criteria / published guidelines by country

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 19, 2013.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Does anyone know about timing details concerning the team events? For the short program, how far (or little) in advance of the start day and time can a country decide who will be skating. For example, the pairs short which is the first part on Thursday, February 6th at 7:30pm. Once the pairs teams have been decided, can a country change that, and if so, how far (or how little) in advance can they change that? Similar question for the long programs. Can the skaters for the long programs be changed once everyone has seen the short program results? One scenario is a country planning on their #2 team for the long program, but when they ended up in third overall instead of second overall as expected, they think, "hey, we better send in team #1 or we won't even get a medal!!"

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere. I did scan this thread but didn't see information as far as the timing/scheduling goes.

I know your post is old, but I saw some good (and clear) info about this at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_–_Qualification

First, in the "Qualified Countries" section, we can see all the countries, how many qualified entries per discipline, the top 10 teams qualified for the team event, and lastly, the total number of skaters qualified per country for the Olympics.

Second, in the "Team Event" section, we can see the top 20 countries based on points earned during the 2012-13 season. This can be re-organized by clicking on the arrow in the 2013-14 column to see how the numbers changed this year. And each country is colour-code whether they are Qualified to Olympics (green), Reserve nation for Olympics (blue) or Not eligible for Olympics (pink). I love Wikipedia. :D

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Communication 1844 was released on 10 January to clarify the deadlines and the difference between "exchange" and "replacement" skaters.

A "replacement" skater is one who takes the place of an athlete who cannot compete to due "urgent medical reasons" (illness and/or injury) according to the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy and specifically calls out that the ISU replacement policy does not apply. Once an athlete is replaced, his/her credentials are taken away and that's it for the Olympics.

So, if Plushenko is appointed as the Russian Man, he is going to have to either meet the IOC medical requirements for their Late Replacement Athlete policy to withdraw, or he withdraws and Russia cannot replace him with any other man by the deadline for individual events. (The same is true for all athletes.)

An "exchange" skater is one who has qualified for the individual event and is one of the up to two skaters/teams who did not skate the TE SP/SD, but will skate the TE FS/FD.

The deadlines have been updated from having one deadline for the SP/SD and another for the FS/FD to two each for each program, based on the discipline: