2014 Olympic figure skating team selection criteria / published guidelines by country

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

2. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

Czech FSA published today, that Michal Brezina and Tomas Verner are locks for Olympics as they have won the places for CZE.

In case of Ladies and Ice Dance potential qualifiers: the decision for Nebelhorn Trophy will be made at National team test skate (August 24th) and who is fulfilling the criterias (generally jumps and levels for singles and levels for Ice Dance) will be going to Oberstdorf. If two or more fulfilling it, then the best sum of TES from SP/SD + FP/FD is the decision maker.

Once the lady / ID team is winning the direct Q place at Nebelhorn Trophy it means his direct qualification for Olys if she ú they are fulfilling ISU min. TES (which already nearly everybody was fulfilling last season). In case the lady / ID team would be a substitute entry for Olys onlya then the decision will be postponed until after Nationals and the best placed National competitor with ISU min. TES will be going to Sochi.

The only question mark is if Mysliveckova / Brown are going to Oberstdorf and Neil would not be having Czech Citizenship in time, the other Ice Dance will qualify for Olmypics (since Kubova / Novak are having both TES mins from last season).

Asfar as I know the Czech NOC will follow Czech FSA rules and skaters nominations without any additional criterias.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

On bottom of page 4, #1.3, where it says:

Shouldn't that read three ladies, two men, two pairs, three ice dance teams...?

Okay, wait, I see it says "up to a maximum."

Is there any possibility of someone other than those making the team to be selected to participate in the Olympic team event? Or do those who are selected for the team event have to be strictly chosen from the main qualifiers?

4. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

It says "up to three" ... However, if you read the next sentence it specifically states that the number of athletes that qualify will be determined at the 2013 World Championships. (The selection criteria was approved and signed prior to the 2013 WC)

5. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I have the same question. I've been searching briefly for an answer to this, and it's not completely clear.

The USA document linked above says:

:eek: :confused:

So... ? Does anyone get from that if the "nominated" athletes are from those actually on the "non-team Olympic team"... or can the "nominated athletes" that they pull the "Team Event" athletes from, also include the alternates for the "non-team Olympic team". I get the impression that the team event athlete entries (at least for the US) will consist of the athletes named to the actual non-team Olympic team. Do others get this impression?

6. Sylvia

The USFS document states up front that: "The athletes/teams nominated to compete in the Team Event must be from the nominated athletes/teams for the 2014 Olympic Team in the individual disciplines."

7. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Right. Does nominated include those listed as alternates/substitutes for the individual events, though? Or does nominated mean only those who are given the spots in the individual events?

8. Sylvia

9. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm missing another thread, but has anyone tallied who the leading 10 teams are after 2013 worlds?

10. Sylvia

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh, thanks :) Do you ever rest?

12. Sylvia

:fan: :shuffle:

Re-posting from the Aussie Skating thread:
    You have now ;): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ent-in-Sochi&p=3998954&viewfull=1#post3998954

ETA link to U.S. Figure Skating's 2014 Olympic Athlete Selection Procedures document, Amended June 20, 2013: http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/OlympicSelection.pdf

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

No, only those who are submitted by 27 January as participating in the individual events. If an alternate for an individual event replaces an individual event skater before the Team Event, then that replacement skater can skate the Team Event, and the replaced skater can no longer skate the individual event.

pingu published a link to a translation of excerpts from a new press conference, and this explains how the Ice Dancers will be chosen (emphasis mine):

14. Sylvia

15. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

So, after reading the U.S. team selection document, does anyone want to venture a guess whom the U.S. team might consist of?

The ranking order of the disciplines by the ICMS will be based on which
    disciplines have the best opportunity to medal and/or provide the strongest
    field in the individual events and the ranking order of the athletes/teams will
    be used to determine which athletes will have priority in competing in the Team
    Event. The highest ranked disciplines will have the first option of substitution
    in the Team Event if the U.S. qualifies for the free skate.

The nominations of the participants for the Team Event will be made with the
    highest-ranked discipline selected first, the second-ranked discipline selected
    second, the third-ranked discipline selected third and the fourth-ranked
    discipline selected fourth.

Our highest-ranked discipline will be ice dance. So, Meryl/Charlie should have the option to skate the SD only, with the second-ranked dancers skating the FD. If that occurs, I'm thinking the team might consist of:

Ashley Wagner
    Denney/Coughlin
    Men's Nationals winner (hard to predict: Adam Rippon?)
    Davis/White
    Shibutanis

If U.S. Figure Skating qualifies two athletes/teams in a discipline (men, ladies,
    pairs, dance) for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, the top ranked athlete/team
    determined by the ICMS and approved by the International Committee will
    have the option to compete in no segments, both segments or only one segment
    based on their intent to compete form to participate in the Team Event.

 If the top-ranked and second-ranked athletes/teams decline to
    participate in the Team Event and U.S. Figure Skating cannot field a
    complete Team (four disciplines) for the Team Event at the 2014
    Olympic Winter Games, U.S. Figure Skating will either enter 3
    disciplines or withdraw from participating in the Team Event (if less
    than three disciplines).

There's apparently no requirement for skaters to participate in the team event. It seems to be completely their decision. This makes me wonder if their intent-to-compete forms will be made public (so we know who wishes to compete and who doesn't).

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There are three possible answers on the intent to compete form: yes, no/no, and no to SD/SP, but will reconsider for the FS/FD. Since USFS will know in December, what are the chances that the answers won't impact selection of the team, especially if it's close, and creating the strongest team for the TE is a stated goal? Only D/W could get away with a no/no, IMO.

Once the US commits to the TE, there are two possibilities: they enter athletes in three events, or four. If they don't have enough Yeses for the SP/SD and enter three, the athletes in the fourth who all refused the TE are barred from the individual events. If they enter four in the SP/SD and make the final, there are two potential possibilities: either they have enough yeses and reconsideration to enter four into the final, or possibly they only enter three*. If the latter is possible, then at least the skater(s)/teams(s) who didn't do the SD/SP are barred from the individual event; the Sochi TE document is unclear whether the skater/team who already did the SP/SD would be barred if there is a theoretical option another skater/team in the final. For example, if one Pair did the SP, and had a sore ankle, and the other team refused to skate or had food poisoning, it's not clear if both teams would be barred or just the second.

*The latter scenario -- four in the short, three in the free -- isn't addressed in the Sochi TE document. Neither are substitutions within the event, for illness or injury, or what happens if a single athlete in a discipline becomes ill or injured and the substitute can't get there in time for the final.

17. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

The team event (TE) rules are pretty confusing. I hope the federation does a decent job of explaining it all to the skaters.

I don't see the incentive for skaters to say no/no unless they are potential individual medalists. D/W could say no/no, wanting to keep their programs fresh for the dance event. I could see the rationale for that, although I hope they do the team event. There could be an argument for Denney/Coughlin to skate only one portion of the TE, as pairs is the next event. But, since they will be probably the lowest-ranked discipline, they might not be given that option.

Also to be considered is the strategy of other teams. Let's say Canada enters Chan in the SP, but not the LP. And that V/M does both programs. Would the U.S. need Davis/White in the FD to hold up the overall team score against what V/M puts up for Canada?? There are so many variables.

I agree the intent-to-compete answers may well play a role in the team selection. How could they not. For this reason, I hope they are made public.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The FS/FD paricipants have to be submitted to the ISU immediately and concurrently after the last SP/SD. It's not like a draft where decisions are made sequentially and one team can make its decision based on the other teams' committed choices.

There's no ISU requirement for any country to announce its FS/FD participants ahead of time or even to choose them before the last minute. Skaters might leak the info, but what if V/M and D/W both agree with Zoueva that it's best for them to do the SD only, but based on the results of the first three disciplines, they get excited about the event and change their minds/are persuaded/see the team gold in sight after the results of most of the SP's/SD's? It really doesn't cost D/W much in goodwill to say, no/maybe, unless Zoueva forces a no/no. Then it could be asymmetrical with V/M, since Skate Canada hasn't stated publicly at least that there's an intent form that must be signed.

19. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Apparently, the Norwegian Olympic Committee is requiring Anne Line Gjersem to finish top 8 in ladies singles at Europeans in Budapest next month (she was 22nd in 2013) to be named to the Olympic team.

The Belgian Olympic Committee is requiring Jorik Hendrickx to be top 12 at Europeans for Olympics consideration.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

What is wrong with these OC's?? Hundreds of thousands of $$ are spen and years of hard work invested so that they can then impose this criteria? Was this criteria known well in advance or are they just now pulling it from out of their a$$? What do they hope to accomplish by being unrealistic and denying the spot that was EARNED by their skater??

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't think the NOC's should be creating different criteria than the ISU or any other governing body of sport recognized by the IOC as the representative for that sport, but there's nothing in the rules to stop them. I think that should be changed.

Gjersen score almost twenty points higher at Nebelhorn than she did at Euros, but if this year's scores are similar to last year's, she would be about 8 points short of 8th Place with her Nebelhorn score. Three out of the top eight are likely to be the Russian women, plus Kostner and Marchei, the Helgesson sisters, if Joshi Helgesson is back, and that will leave a lot of competition for the other two places. Lafuente, Meite, Weinzierl, and Glebova have scored higher in a number of competitions. Were Norway's the same as Belgium's, Gjersen would have a very good chance if she skated well.

Hendrickx, on the other hand, has scored well over the 175 that was 12th last year three times so far this season:

Finlandia Senior Men 5 Jorik HENDRICKX BEL 199.75
    NRW Trophy Senior Men 3 Jorik HENDRICKX BEL 190.84
    Warsaw Cup Senior Men 2 Jorik HENDRICKX BEL 187.75

Even adding in a third Russian man, he should be able to meet the criterion.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

So based on the Czech criteria that Oubik posted, the Czech Olympic team will be:
    Ladies: Elizaveta Ukolova (even though she lost Nationals to Brezinova)
    Men: Michal Brezina, Tomas Verner

According to a Norwegian poster on GoldenSkate, A-L Gjersem's coach has managed to persuade NOC to stop being idiots, pointing out how she's the first Norwegian lady to qualify in 40 years as well. Top 8 is no longer required however she is expected to skate decently, whatever that means. If she bombs, she's out of Olympics. That sounds fair.

23. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Brilliant news, thanks Ziggy!

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That's great news!

25. vexlak

vexlak Member

That is a great news.
    The officers do not realize that the stress only adds up weight to skaters...:wall:

At the same time I am still confused. The NOC must send a form with names no later than 11/1/14 to the ISU. In her case that is before the EC. God forbid she bombs at the EC, the Norwegian OC would then cancel their participation and the spot will then go the the next in line? There is almost no time left for that.
    This is very unlikely scenario.

Again the stress factor...

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

This happens every Olympic year. There's nothing obligating a country to submitting a name to SOCHI after submitting it to the ISU. Norway could submit Gjersem's name by the earlier deadline.

The earlier deadline has not stopped USFS and Skate Canada from selecting their teams later or from other Nations from using Europeans to decide their teams. Perhaps the countries list all of the possible skaters, which for the US might be the top five skaters for the disciplines that have been completed, any injured top skater who could petition for a spot, and all age-eligible skaters in any discipline that has not finished by the deadline.

27. vexlak

vexlak Member

I though that the US Nationals are held earlier this year due to the 11/1/14 dead line.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

US Nationals end on the 11th at 11pm ET -- 12 January ISU time in Lausanne -- and USFS has a day to convene to make its selections by the process submitted to and approved by the USOC. Canadian Nationals ends on the 11th at 10pm ET. I'm not sure when Skate Canada announces its team.

29. Sylvia

That's Ladies FS; Men's FS ends at 5 pm ET on Sunday, Jan. 12, and the announcement of the U.S. Olympic team will be made not too long afterwards, hopefully.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

OMG, I saw exhibition practices on the schedule, mistook the Men's Warmups for EX practice, and thought Sunday was EX only. I missed the Men's event listed for Sunday.