2014 NCAA Gymnastics -- "Cause I Am A Champion And You're Gonna Cheer My Score!"

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fridge_Break, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

It's here, the best time of year!

Competition begins this weekend with a few meets:

January 3 (tonight!)
    Wisconsin-La Crosse @ Wisconsin-Oshkosh

January 4
    Ball State @ Illinois State

January 5
    15 Penn State @ Iowa State
    9 Stanford, UC Davis, San Jose State, 22 Cal @ Sac State
    Wisconsin-Eau Claire @ Central Michigan

---------------------

Pre-Season Coaches Poll Rankings:
    1. Florida
    2. Alabama
    3. Oklahoma
    4. UCLA
    5. LSU
    6. Utah
    7. Michigan
    8. Georgia
    9. Stanford
    10. Nebraska
    11. Arkansas
    12. Oregon State
    13. Auburn
    14. Minnesota
    15. Penn State
    16. Illinois
    17. Arizona
    18. Denver
    19. Ohio State
    20. Washington
    21. Kentucky
    22. California
    23. Boise State
    24. Maryland
    25. Arizona State

---------------------

Who's going to some meets this year? Now that I am located in Central Illinois I have a few different options. I'll probably be making a trip to Champaign to some Illinois meets, and possibly some Illinois State meets. Michigan State is at SEMO later on in the year, I am going to make a road trip for that one.

SO EXCITED.

2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Very excited about the new season! I hope Florida performs well again this year! I am really interested to see how Dominique Pegg and Amanda Jetter fit in at Alabama. I don't know why, but Alabama didn't seem like the school I expected to see Pegg attend. I think she's going to be great for Dana Dubransky Duckworth, Alabama's choreographer, who can produce really interesting work. I think UCLA could be really strong if they can stay consistent. Jennifer Pinches should do well at the NCAA level. Is Peng Peng finally going to compete this year?

The rankings look about right, but I'm curious to see how LSU does and if they can make a move for the top this year. Rhegan Courville is such an exciting gymnast. If they can get beam and bars as strong as vault and floor, LSU is going to be a major force. Oklahoma is an interesting because they were very strong last year without any "big name" gymnasts. With McKenzie Wofford and Charity Jones joining, they could be even stronger.

I am always interested in some of the middle ranked teams. I'm curious about Oregon State, Minnesota, and Auburn.

I love NCAA gymnastics and hope this will be a great season.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  3. Fridge_Break

Sadly, I believe she is out this year as well. :(

4. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

That's what I was thinking as well, but I saw her listed on UCLA's roster and even though it said red shirt freshman, I was a little hopeful she might actually compete. It was sad looking at the team photo to see Jordyn Weiber as a team manager and not competing.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

LSU held an intrasquad in the competition arena early in December and I went. They look great with some upgrades on vault. One of the girls did a gorgeous Yurchenko 1.5 and Hall upgraded from the 1/2 to the Full. Bars looked good, still need to work on handstands but they seemed ahead of where they were at the first meet last year and it was a month early. Beam looked good as well, Courville is still only doing her gainer back pike dismount which is going to cost her again in post season but I guess she isn't capable of doing anything else without injury issues? Floor looked very solid but Hall had a HORRIBLE music cut to the exact same choreography as she did last year (which was a huge hit). I can't figure out why in the world she would do the same routine but to some really awful music. Just use the same music, you aren't fooling anyone!

6. Hucklepie

Hucklepie Member

Is anyone else participating in the online fantasy gymnastics league? This is the second year I'm doing it - I'm in the Big 12 conference.

I'm excited to see UCLA and Oklahoma this year, and also LSU. I feel like this year's freshman class in general - not at any particular school - has a lot of talent. Last year I made it to a couple of NC State meets, but I moved this past summer and I doubt I'll make the trek back to Raleigh for any this year.

7. BigB08822

Where do you sign up for the Fantasy League? Is it too late for this year?

8. Hucklepie

Hucklepie Member

http://www.collegefantasygymnastics.com - It's too late for this year; she usually opens it to new accounts in November/early December then the draft is open for most of the month of December. I'll try to post a reminder here when it reopens for next season.

9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Well, it's not like she's quit gymnastics or anything. I *think* she is planning to compete this year but I guess we'll see if she shows up to any camps. I'm just happy she's been able to stay involved and experience part of what NCAA has to offer even if she isn't eligible to compete.

10. Fridge_Break

Tonight's meets:
    Missouri @ #2 Alabama (FREE VIDEO at 8pm EST)
    #8 Georgia @ #3 Oklahoma
    Centenary @ #5 LSU
    #7 Michigan, Illinois State @ Iowa State
    Bridgeport, Western Michigan @ #11 Arkansas
    Texas Women's @ #13 Auburn
    #15 Penn State, West Virginia, Ball State @ #21 Kentucky
    #16 Illinois @ Michigan State
    #24 Maryland @ Central Michigan
    Towson @ Pittsburgh
    Alaska @ Seattle Pacific (FREE VIDEO at 10pm EST)
    Gustavus Adolphus @ Wisconsin-La Crosse

11. avivadawn

avivadawn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video links!

12. BigB08822

LSU scored a season opening record 197.200 in their home opener last night. They look AMAZING. They have truly picked up right where they left off. This team is going to contend and be a dark horse at Nationals! I hope injuries don't hurt them down the road.

13. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

14. Fridge_Break

Gahh :fragile: Poor girl has had a rough time over the years.

Rankings after the first full weekend (a few teams have yet to compete):

1. Oklahoma
    2. LSU
    3. Alabama
    4T. Florida
    4T. Utah
    6T. Nebraska
    6T. UCLA
    8. Michigan
    9. Georgia
    10. Arkansas
    11. Boise State
    12. Stanford
    13. Illinois
    14T. Denver
    14T. Oregon State
    16. Rutgers :eek:
    17. Kentucky
    18. Auburn
    19T. Arizona
    19T. Ohio State
    21. Kent State
    22. Central Michigan
    23. Brigham Young
    24. Minnesota
    25. Michigan State ( :cheer2: )

15. BigB08822

It sounds like Oklahoma had some really ridiculous scoring going on and their ranking is the least accurate of the top teams. I thought LSU scoring was about right, slightly loose on a couple of bar routines perhaps but they deserved to be right around the 197 mark.

16. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Florida are really missing King and Dickerson on Vault...there is a big hole there this year.

Caquatto's floor was horrific against UCLA, she wasn't given a spot this week. Johnson is also slow to get going. Boyce is pretty much Stagerberg the 2nd. On the whole, the team is definitely slightly weaker than last year.

UCLA's Danusia Francis' beam is insane for college (well, the dismount anyway) and her floor isn't far behind either. Breakout star this year?

17. BigB08822

I think Florida is still 3-4 weeks away from beginning to show us what they really have.

18. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Watching the Florida/Oklahoma meet now. Oklahoma is doing high quality gymnastics, but the difficulty is conservative compared to Florida. I thought Oklahoma had a really good set of floor routines. They had interesting music and good choreography. Florida has been good, but a little sloppy in places. The scoring has seemed reasonable other than I think Bridget Sloan was over-scored slightly on bars.

19. BigB08822

LSU had a great night. They beat Bama 197.650 to 196.850 Bama does NOT look like a championship team at this point. However, Bama is known for peaking at Nationals. They just didn't look clean and polished. LSU looks ready to compete at Super 6 tomorrow. I hope that doesn't backfire with burnout or injuries before post-season, though. The LSU crowd got really upset with the Bama girls who decided to begin doing team cheers and chants ONLY during LSU's beam routines. It was very tacky and not at all classy as Bama likes to claim to be. LSU had been nothing but gracious to them the entire meet up to that point so I can only assume the girls were getting bitter about realizing they wouldn't win without falls from LSU. Not cool. I hate when the fans do it but I can excuse fans who are usually students who don't know the difference in atmosphere between football and gymnastics but the gymnasts doing it!? That is inexcusable and Patterson should have put an end to it, immediately.

20. BigB08822

If anyone is interested:

LSU (#3) will be at Oklahoma (#2) today. The meet starts at 2:00 pm central time, in less than an hour. It is airing LIVE on DirectTV, AT&T Uverse and on Cox. The channels are below:

DirectTV: 679 and 679-1
    Uverse: 648
    Cox: 79 and 1079

21. BigB08822

LSU beat Oklahoma last week in a close one but lost to them tonight in a meet with Arizona and Kentucky.

However, LSU posted a school record 197.875 OU scored over 198 10's were awarded to Courville on vault, Hall on FX and Scaman on FX. 9.975's went to Morrison on bars and Capps on beam. I think it is safe to say the scoring was a tad high but LSU and Oklahoma are #2 and #3 in the country so I don't think they are too far off. LSU went 49.6 on beam after sticking every dismount! If they can start going 49.4 on beam or so then they will be well on their way to fighting for SEC title and NCAA title.

22. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Florida have had tens 4 weeks in a row. . . They are also spoiled for AAers with Sloan, Hunter, Caquatto and Johnson. Bridgette Caquatto really coming through this year as is Spicer and even Claire Boyce. They're going to repeat, easy, IMHO.

23. BigB08822

I think Florida should repeat but I don't think it should be easy. LSU and Oklahoma are so good, much better than last year. If Florida had not had the FX of a lifetime, they wouldn't have won. All it takes is one too many falls. The difference may be that Florida will really feel the pressure, especially if prelims are tight. That could cause them to compete tight and make mistakes. We shall see. I do agree, though, that they SHOULD win.

24. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Watching the LSU and Florida meet right now. I love both of these teams! Should be a great meet.

25. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I found the judges on bars to be pretty tight and particularly on Florida. I don't think we've seen home meet inflation tonight.

26. BigB08822

LSU is officially ranked #1 for the week! It will probably be short lived as Florida is counting a lowish road score that they can easily drop. LSU has been so consistent and has scored better on the road than at home so they have been rewarded with the #1 rankings this week (which is the first week RQS has been used). It pays to go out on the road a lot and hit like they have!

27. BigB08822

LSU scored their first 198 in school history!! I am so glad I was there to witness it. And they still could have been better!!

28. BigB08822

LSU remains #1 for another week, almost a full tenth ahead of Florida. Florida probably still has a lowish road score to drop so LSU needs to knock another one out of the park next week to maintain their lead. It doesn't really matter at this point, all focus is soon to be on SECs.

29. Hucklepie

Hucklepie Member

I'm enjoying LSU and Oklahoma so much this season. I'm enjoying Florida a lot less than I did last year - I don't know what the difference is, because I wasn't crazy about any of Florida's graduated gymnasts (except for Ashanee's FX). Oklahoma and LSU are by far my two favorite teams to watch this year, and Arizona is my #1 team on floor. Allie Flores and Kristin Klarenbach of Arizona easily have two of my favorite floor routines in the NCAA this year.

30. Fridge_Break

Oof. Gymnastics has taken a back seat for me this year. A combination of working 55-hour weeks and the Olympics have had me not paying much attention outside of Michigan State's meets. I've followed enough to see that there's tons of 10's being thrown around and numerous teams over the 198 mark :wideeyes:

I did manage to get down to Southeast Missouri when MSU was in town. It was an exciting meet because both teams are very-well matched. It's not like going to MSU vs Nebraska where we know that Nebraska is going to crush MSU by about 4 points. Mr. FB and I were the only MSU fans at the meet :lol: The team was super happy and excited that we showed up! They were all smiling and waving at us throughout the night. Watching both of these teams, it's scary to think of the high level of gymnastics being performed all over the country, because both of these teams are most likely going to miss regionals this year (2 years in a row for MSU :( ). They both put on quite a show and there were tons of stuck landings and standout performances with some reasonably high difficulty.

I'm hoping Alina Cartwright can squeak through regionals (she'll easily make it as an AA-er) and nab a spot at Nationals. Her improvement over the summer has been INSANE. She's hit every routine this year on VT, FX, and BB (almost all for a 9.8+) and is ranked 23rd in the country on vault.