2014 Japan Open in Saitama, Oct. 4 (updated with results) + Carnival on Ice gala

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

First invited skaters are listed now: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2014/

Team North America: Patrick Chan, Ashley Wagner, Jeff Buttle

Team Europe: Javier Fernandez

Is Plushenko competing a free skate or will he be performing in the "Carnival on Ice" exhibition only?

ETA: I later edited in "Carnival on Ice gala" into the thread title.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

They should add Samantha Cesario to the list. But of course they won't.

Btw, I like the new layout, but FYI the smilies option under edit post is not working....

3. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Japan Open mostly invites skaters that are famous in Japan. Skaters who go on tours in Japan for years have the most chances of being invited I suppose.

4. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Umm they invited Caroline Zhang once...didn't know she was popular in Japan...

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

6. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Okay you're right. But was Beatrisa Liang popular in Japan at the time? What about Agnes? Czisny? Phaneuf? I don't remember any of them ever being popular in Japan.

7. NMURA

NMURA Member

Bebe Liang was a replacement of Mirai. More than apparent that she was "recommended" by Frank Caroll.

Agnes Zawadzki was a replacement of Gold. Another hard-sell skater from the USFS.

Phaneuf and Czisny were legitimate choices since they were the highest finishers at worlds from North America.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  8. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Yes, Gold may be a hard-sell skater here in the US. But she wasn't of Kwan status internationally at that time and quite frankly, still isn't. Now, Mirai OTOH is very popular in Japan. Hence, is why I understand she was invited.

Phaneuf and Czisny, (although both are very talented in their own ways) regardless of their placements at worlds, were never as popular as say Mirai or even Ashley now in Japan.

I'm just confused as to why Cesario would not be invited, according to Meoima?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  9. NMURA

NMURA Member

Cesario? No way. She is unknown in Japan and not a hard-sell object by anyone.
    Gold should have the offer before Wagner but she (more likely Frank Caroll) could have declined.
    So Rochette or Nagasu will be invited.

10. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

My understanding is Japan Open is a fundraising event for the JSF. Naturally, they would invite the athletes who are either very popular in Japan, internationally renounced, or have a powerful connection (IMG). I vaguely remember Phaneuf, Czisny, and Zawadzki had some IMG connections (But I could be wrong).

11. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Could be in that case. I just can't see them being invited for their popularity there.

12. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

remember, there's always an incentive to give Team Japan more than a fighting chance to win :shuffle:

I'd be heart-broken if Rochette isn't invited as always. Put her and Kostner, and this is already the best competition we'll have all season :sheep:

13. unicorn

unicorn Member

I want to see Gracie Gold compete for North America

14. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I said mostly, not all of them. :saint:

15. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

That would be great.
    Usually Japan Open and Opera on Ice happen around the same time, which may have prevented Lambiel and Kostner from participating in Japan Open.

16. lala

lala Well-Known Member

17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if Gold didn't turn this down before they offered it to either Wagner or Nagasu, probably Wagner as Nagasu has quite a following here.

18. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I think you might have gotten it confused with WTT.

19. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Joannie was picked either.

20. mathil

mathil Active Member

Japan Open is an IMG event -- and in fact you will see that every year, almost all of the skaters partipating either belong to IMG or have some connections to them. There is not much reasoning beyond that and the foregn skaters' popularity in Japan. They don't even have to be actively competing.

What I'm really curious about is who is going to represent the host country.

21. Pattina

Pattina Member

Apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this info, but I think it's nice if you want to "promote" your fave/s.

A special edition of Carnival On Ice will be aired on 07 Sept. and audience is asked to vote for programs of the past editions they'd like to see again (both Japanese and overseas skaters who took part in previous CoIs)

http://www.bs-j.co.jp/figure2014/

Pity no English info are available, so I struggled o_O and failed :( a couple of times before succeeding :)
    Hope this can help:

• In main page you can find programs of past editions - pics of skaters and numbers help you in identification;
    • Click on red icon (up or bottom page) - tick on your favourite programs (max 5) and then click on grey icon at the bottom;
    • A recap of selected numbers appears - if it's OK click on gray icon on the left (right one takes you back)
    • A confirmation message appears.

22. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

ITA It's an IMG event after all. Japan has many star skaters, so organizers might not care about the popularity of international skaters so much.

Personally I love to see Joannie skates in this event. Isn't it the only event she shows a competitive program per a season and she keeps in good enough condition for it. I really respect her efforts. Here is the link to the official site of last year's JO. http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2013/

23. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Uhm so I doubt Kostner will ever skate in it, her manager is not IMG

24. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Even though most of the skaters are IMG connected, some of them are not. Examples: Patrick Chan, Stephane Lambiel, and Laura Lepisto. Sarah Meier was also invited, but had do withdrew at the last minute.

However, she usually has Opera on Ice around the same time. I also think that she may not be a part of Japan Open in future.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  25. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I see Irina Slutskya competed in 2013. I didn't know she was still skating.

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ Irina & her son Artem skated in last season's Disson's Family Skating Tribute @ Penn State University.

27. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

Got :sekret: Tomas Verner was invited.

alilou likes this.
  28. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

mollymgr, lala, alilou and 1 other person like this.
  29. KansaiPJ

KansaiPJ New Member

Question: Are the tickets separate for both events? Think so, but am not sure. My Japanese reading skills are pretty poor unfortunately.

30. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

dearskate likes this.