2014 GP Pairs Final Early Prediction

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jun 13, 2014.

Who will make final?

1. Stolbova/Klimov

90.0%
  2. Duhamel/Radford

88.0%
  3. Sui/Han

80.0%
  4. Peng/Zhang

78.0%
  5. Antipova/Maisuradze

34.0%
  6. Volosozhar/Trankov

92.0%
  7. James/Cipres

20.0%
  8. Zhang/Bartholomay

2.0%
  9. Kayne/O'Shea

2.0%
  10. Scimeca/Knierim

14.0%
  11. Yu/Jin

4.0%
  12. Wende/Wende

4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Which 6 will make the final? For now I chose to leave off Denney/Coughlin and Berton/Hotarek, Kavaguti/Smirnov, and baby Russians, but if they are competing they could also be factors...also Bazarova/Deputat, Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Leng/Shnapir could compete, but they are new so I'll give them time to gel, and several of the other teams will have country issues right now preventing them from competing- Lyubov/Moscovitch, Castelli/Tran, Savchenko/Massot, Zabijako/Larionov...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted the first six, but it might be J/C instead of A/M, or someone else could sneak in there for that last spot if those teams don't skate well.

3. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

I think Duhamel/Radford and Stolbova/Klimov will be world frontrunners this season, and hope they duke it out at worlds for the title. Both pairs are amazing!

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I havent heard anything about V&T retiring. Until V&T retire I am quite sure that D&R atleast will never be in serious contention for gold at a major event.

5. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

What judgejudy27 wrote. Also see below.

They are not retiring. In the most recent interview which was posted at the Great Skate Debate in 'From Russia with love' thread (http://www.figureskating-online.com/volosozhar-trankov.html) they said this:

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

This poll really puts into perspective how badly pairs is lacking in depth compared to the other 3 disciplines these days.

7. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

What is your guess for the number of pairs skaters in the world, total? Less than 200? Less than 100? It is a pretty small sport.

8. VolosozharGOAT

VolosozharGOAT Member

Volosozhar & Trankov will easily win worlds in 2015. Then they might take a break and others might have a shot, or maybe not. We will have to see.

9. VolosozharGOAT

VolosozharGOAT Member

There will be atleast 1 U.S team in the final I think. The Chinese pairs are overrated. Duhamel & Radford are old and will start to fall down the rankings.

10. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

I thought based on stuff I'd read a while ago that V/T weren't going to be around for this season then they'd come back. Clearly that's changed.

Obviously D/R and S/K aren't going to be duking it out for gold, as I'd posted, with V/T around. They're on another level than any other pair team...

Yup! You said it.

11. VolosozharGOAT

VolosozharGOAT Member

I think S&K can challenge V&T. D&R can maybe challenge S&K but are not yet able to challenge V&T barring big improvements. In the Team competition at the Games their clean short was 12 points lower than V&T, even with a higher base value. I know that sounds a bit contradictory but it really isnt, just because S&K can challenge V&T possibly, and D&R challenge S&K possibly doesnt mean D&R can compete with V&T. It is like Suguri was a threat to Cohen, and Cohen was a big threat to Kwan, but Suguri was still no threat to Kwan.

12. irinayunafanatc

irinayunafanatc Member

With Volosozhar & Trankov, Stolbova & Klimov, and some up and coming Chinese and Russian pairs, Duhamel & Radford will be happy to even repeat their bronze from the last 2 worlds.

13. ladygagafan

ladygagafan Member

Wow the pairs field is rubbish. I cant even think of more than 3 or 4 teams who even deserve to be in the grand prix final.