2014 Governining Council proposed changes

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by ioana, Apr 7, 2014.

1. backspin

backspin Active Member

IMO, the low pass rates at novice (and junior) are also partly due to judges' expectations for those loops. We (coaches) were told in the new moves seminars that the standards were different than from the old figures patterns, that the standard was lower. When people started to test them that wasn't how it panned out. It took a long time for us to figure out what the judges wanted, for both novice and for junior. We're finally getting to the place where we're confident teaching those newer elements/patterns, and how to get them where the judges want them to be. That said, novice is simply a very hard level, and always has been, long before the 2010 changes.

I think most of the proposed moves changes are BAD, and hope very much they don't pass. I've spoken to several delegates about this, & all of the people I spoke to also don't like the proposed changes & will be voting no.

2. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Haven't the changes already passed? :confused: I thought that's what the document showed.

What, in your opinion, are the bad changes that are proposed?

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

From what I've just read, the changes to the MITF and the parents' membership were the two hottest discussions at the Governing Council today, and have been sent back to committee, which basically means they did not pass.

4. GarrAarghHrumph

In this blog, they list the reasons that they were told at the Governing Council for why MITF changes and the parents' membership were being proposed:

http://govcouncil2014.blogspot.com/

To paraphrase from that blog, the reasons why they wanted to require parents to be members of USFS are parent education, getting more volunteers, and safe sport/grievance (if the parent isn't a member, then USFS cannot do anything to them). The blogger said that there was lots of discussion that this was just a way to bring in more dues.

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It seems like if that is their reason, and not money, then membership of a minor should INCLUDE a parent, as a non-voting member. Not a separate registration. (I say non-voting so they aren't weighted more highly in all the things USFS counts members for.) But this way grievances can be held against them, and whatever volunteering they think this is going to result in (if parents didn't want to volunteer before, they still won't) will bring in still does.

6. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

The parent thing sounded like a pure money grab to me. :shuffle:

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re. GarrAarghHrumph's posts, the aforementioned blogger @MEHarty was the one who tweeted this earlier today:

8. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

From the blog, it sounds like coaches were at the root of the opposition to the MIF changes. Interesting. I'm surprised they did not pass but am pleased. Now I don't have to race against the clock to try to pass Gold MIF in the next 4 months. I think I will still test in June, though - my coach thinks it's time to put it out there again.

Not surprised the parent membership requirement got defeated. Our club board told our rep at GC to vote against. The GC delegates from within the grassroots level know that joining the club isn't going to make people volunteer; it will just create more angry parents screaming about how expensive the club is.

I guess the adult age group changes haven't been voted on yet?

9. jenlyon60

jenlyon60 Member

Nope. Didn't get thru the proposed by laws changes.

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Too bad they don't just get back to teaching the fundamental basics of figures which is how figure skating evolved as a sport. I think it would be beneficial if skaters at least at the Juvenile and Intermediate levels were required to practice and test basic figures which helps skaters develop edge control and balance, as well as being invaluable to learning proper jump technique. Currently, at the Novice, Junior and Senior levels, all skaters should at least be required to practice figures (but not necessarily required to test).

Maribel Y. Vinson's Primer of Figure Skating, should be required reading for everyone who loves and participates in the sport of figure skating.

11. purple skates

Ages for adults went through as proposed, except that they added group 5 at 66+ and the ability of the ref at AN to combine if 6 or fewer entries.

Aftershocks, I agree but logistically it's a problem. Figures can't be easily done on freestyle ice. They'd have to go back to 6:00 am figures sessions and I don't think there's a stomach for doing that any more.

12. Debbie S

:( That is unfortunate. From what I've been hearing, I think quite a few skaters in their early 30s (older end of the new class I) won't want to compete FS under the new structure. IMO, a ten-year span in age in each class was the right thing. When I was 35, it was hard enough competing against the 29-year-old Bronzes (in the previous class II) who started skating during college (I was 29 1/2 when I started).

13. Skittl1321

I'm an early 30 bronze who is crazy unhappy about the age changes. But I also know someone who was about to get into III who is freaking out she'll still be in II.

I think the dream of adult nats is permanently gone for me.

14. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Why? I competed at Adult Nats once and had a blast. Even though I was among the younger in my group, I wasn't competitive, and knew I wouldn't be, but skated decently enough by my own standards and was glad I did it. I'm thinking of doing it again next year (but will need to skate more than I have been recently if I want to even get back to the level I was the last time I competed, let alone any better. I'm thinking about trying a showcase/interpretive/artistic/dramatic/light entertainment thing too ;)).

15. Skittl1321

Because I'd probably already be last. Now I'll be last and look like crap in comparison.

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

In case it's any consolation, silver would be an another messy area since some of the under 30 competitors at Nationals had solid axels -and good basics from what I saw. This year's Nationals under 30 bronze ended up having only 4(?!) competitors. I do agree there were other ways of cutting back on running time for the event if that was the driving force behind the decision.

17. purple skates

The entriy prices are slated to increase, too. I saw it on Facebook, and unfortunately can't put my hands on the link so I can't post the changes.

At this point in my life, and event like AN is just too expensive. I'd rather spend the money on something else.

18. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Heck, so would I, if I ever get back on the ice frequently enough to pass my bronze FS test. I don't really care,though. If I can pass my bronze in my mid-to-late40s I'll be happy and adult nats would be a happy thing just to do once. SOMEONE has to be last. . . I would not be surprised if it was me!

19. Debbie S

That is how I feel, too. And I am also not competitive in FS, which is why I stopped competing. I'm a test-level Bronze, with no flip, lutz, or camel. I competed in local comps for a year as a Bronze (also competed for a couple years before that in Pre-Bronze) and got tired of finishing last. I know that I could show up with as much difficulty as the others and still finish last, but at least it would feel like I was competing. It didn't seem worth it to spend $1000 or so on AN. I decided to just focus on MIF and passing the Silver and Gold tests. After breaking my leg 4 years ago, I've pretty much given up on FS. I practice spins once in a great while, but even if/when I pass Gold MIF, I probably won't do much FS, and likely won't compete again. Which is fine with me.

So the age class changes probably won't affect me, but I have friends who compete and for whom it means a lot, and I hate to see them discouraged by the rules changes.

20. GarrAarghHrumph

So the new adult age groups are: I is ages 21 - 35, II is 36 - 45, III is 46 - 55, IV is 56-65 and V is 66+?

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

So I guess the "X to death" age group just got moved up ten years :p

22. Debbie S

5 years. ;) Previously, it was 61+.

23. overedge

Ah, thanks for the clarification. For some reason "56 to death" was stuck in my mind.....

24. purple skates

It used to be 56 to death when the age started at 25.

25. Debbie S

That's how it used to be, before the present age classes were adopted, I think 5-6 years ago. My age class has changed 6 times since I started skating and only 2 of those changes were due to me actually 'aging up'. I liked the current age group structure the best, sigh.

26. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Going to add this here...

My skater kiddo FINALLY PASSED NOVICE MIF TODAY!!!!! This was her fifth go at it. After the last time, we brought on TWO coaches who passed/taught figures. She got great scores on all the moves, but still lower scores on twizzles and loops. BUT, passed enough twizzles and loops to pass overall.

My normally inexpressive child was all smiles and hugging people... :) All three judges passed her. This has been two years working on it, and although it took a long time, I'm so proud of her!

Okay...skating parent gushing done. I'll just add "PHEW!"

purple skates, gkelly, ioana and 5 others like this.
  27. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Jozet! :)

28. treesprite

treesprite Member

Congratulations to her :)

29. overedge

That's great!! Congratulations!!

30. Debbie S

Congratulations to your daughter, Jozet!