2014 Canadian Stars on Ice tour (articles, photos, reports/reviews)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by N_Halifax, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the link, seabm7

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  3. zebraswan

zebraswan Member

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Thank you Sylvia for more vids, and seambm7 for finding Shawn's Sail Program.:respec:

Try is a program where the more I watch it, the more I appreciate it. The lyrics, music, choreography, simple costumes and of course, the beautiful dancers all make this program so gorgeous. Can anyone tell me who choreograph this?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  5. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree with all your assessments! Hopefully D&R have picked up a bit - love them as competitors, but felt the spark and ease was missing as show skaters - perhaps a few more dates with the likes of Kurt, Joannie and Shawn have helped them develop this side of their skating.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

7. puglover

puglover Active Member

I went to the Calgary show yesterday afternoon. I have loved CSOI the last few years, but I felt this year they surpassed themselves. There was lots of variety from the individual solos to the small and large group numbers. A few years ago there were no pair's skaters in the cast and I felt they were missed. They certainly bring the excitement factor with their overhead lifts, twists and throws and the audience really loved D&R. I could not describe the individual skaters any better then Jenny did - stand outs for me were - Joannie, I have always loved her jumps but she really sells her programs - just a joy to watch, Kurt - still amazing, fully invested in everything he does, Patrick - so smooth and powerful but also looked so happy and great interaction with the audience, he got great applause. My husband and I loved Weaver and Poje's tango as well. Tessa and Scott - words escape me. Kaetlyn skated great - landed all of her jumps. She did the Calgary show last year as a guest skater and I felt the improvement in her was remarkable. She fit right in with the group numbers and she has a natural showmanship on the ice. If her leg was taped, I couldn't see it and we had ice level seats. Jeff only skated one number in the first half and did not come out for the finale - not sure if that was how it was in all cities. It is a great cast that really showcases the joy of skating and they all seemed to be having so much fun they brought the audience along with them.

8. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to seeing this on the CBC in the fall.

I just scanned through the American SOI thread and noticed that the group numbers are the same. Who choreographed them? Jeff?

9. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I also went to the Edmonton show as well. Really did a good job of summing it up. I was on the ice near the skaters entrance and they all looked like they were enjoying it and having fun. It also looks like the entire lower bowl was pretty much sold out along with the first couple rows on the second level so the turnout was good. An enjoyable evening all around. :)

10. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Thanks so much for sharing the links to Jeff's Counting Stars & Shawn's SAIL. Just loved both of these programs. Hope Shawn's second program makes an appearance on YouTube as well - it's a gem!

11. spikydurian

Shawn's program is so creative and he's very good with using props. His flips are huge. Looking forward to his other program turning some time soon.

Someone posted a nice pix of the boys here.

And a closer look at the boys lifting the girls.

12. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

13. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

This could be the answer to your question.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRgClxYW8s&feature=player_detailpage#t=462

The video maker/uploader doesn't say which city this is but you can clearly see Jeffrey skating Don't Stop Believing with the rest of the cast. He is Joannie's partner in the first half of the number. Maybe he wasn't feeling well in Calgary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HBOUOsouWQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=51

14. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

^^^ This

According to http://www.starsonice.ca/music.html, he has two music numbers.

15. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

One more sleep!

16. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

17. Sylvia

18. Sylvia

19. bonmil

bonmil Member

I went to the Victoria show last night. It was great, but at the end when the local clubs waited to see the performers, hardly any of them showed up. My daughter came home at 11:15 p.m. (show ended just after 9) and said only a small handful, Kurt, Patrick and Tessa came out to meet the volunteers from Lindt (my daughter was one of the Lindt volunteers). Last year it was the highlight of her night, but this year it was not meant to be. My daughter has a huge crush on Scott Moir and told Tessa to tell Scott that he broke her heart, Tessa responded that Scott does that a lot!.

20. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Great show. I loved the boys' number, that music is so thumping and ideal for an ice show, really helped carry the sassy fun tone of the piece. The gals' ballet number was awesome as well. It was so psycho-poetic, and the cover of Creep is so good, must track down and marathon listen. Rochette's second act number to a techno spliced Bang Bang also stood out: she is amazing! Her jumps are just so powerful and strong. And the piece was sharp and sexy. Patrick's first act number was gorgeous and I became verklempt. But he has that effect on me. Admit, my fave of the last few years is still the 2012 edition; those group numbers stood out in their surprising choreographic details and syncopated movement. This year's show felt a little conservative. Classic, to be more diplomatic. I had a fantastic time and I went with a friend who's never been to a live ice show and he LOVED it.

21. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

22. spikydurian

23. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

24. lyneyuki

lyneyuki Member

I was there last night in Vancouver and what a great show. I really enjoyed it!

The boys had fun at the end of The Walker, just watched the video from the Montreal show to understand what happened there. First thing I notice is that Jeff was left alone at the end, the rest of them hurried to the exit kind of thing and Jeff had his back turned on them so didn't see it coming. Then Kurt got in the mix and went along the group for the selfie. When he didn't appear on the side screens, he pretend to throw a tantrum. That was very funny!

Those skaters seem to get along so well and having a great time. Good to see it, especially after a season pack of stress and challenges.

25. Sylvia

26. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Thank you!

27. spikydurian

Indeed. I see super big and happy smiles on everyone's face. They are such wonderful ambassadors for Canada - highly talented, successful competitors, great personalities, down to earth and they get along so well.

Fans posting pictures of themselves with CSOI cast.
    More pictures of the cast.....

28. spikydurian

The Walker program taken in Vancouver - Kurt joined in taking a selfie with the boys.

And another Walker part which showed the boys wearing glasses.

29. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

That was funny, them all wearing these huge glasses and then just Jeff remains wearing his own regular ones.

I have really appreciated being able to view all these videos -- and bopping my head in time to the music too.

30. Teenes

Teenes New Member

It's been a month, and people probably don't care anymore,but just in case anyone's interested, I finally finished processing my photos from Toronto and Hamilton, and they are now up on my site.

Toronto:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/pics/event.php?id=2014/Toronto Stars on Ice&search=

Hamilton:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/pics/event.php?id=2014/Hamilton Stars on Ice&search=

Somehow, and I'm not sure how, I lost my photos of Jeff, Joannie, Patrick,and V&M's second numbers from Toronto. I'm quite annoyed by this,but at least I still have the Hamilton ones! Also, someone needs to tell Patrick that wearing grey with grey lighting makes him very difficult to photograph =).

Anyway, enjoy!

Also - just fyi, the skaters always do pranks in the last show on tour in Vancouver. Hence Kurt's presence in the Walker, the goofy glasses, etc... It's one of the fun reasons to attend the last show.

WildRose and (deleted member) like this.