2014 Canadian Stars on Ice tour (articles, photos, reports/reviews)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by N_Halifax, Apr 7, 2014.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

That's so sweet of her to cheer her fellow performers. I bet she lost her voice thereafter?! :D

2. fscric

fscric Active Member

How come there's no Jeff's solo? I so want to see his programmes.

3. spikydurian

Thanks for the vids and comments everyone! :respec:

Yes, hoping to see Shawn's and Jeff's programs too. Hope someone will post their vids here. And Kurt .. hell why is he thinking of hanging up his skates? This man is a born performer. Come on Kurt. YOu are kidding! Look at your jumps. Puuuurfect! :D

Here's the intro/opening number.

Final number, Don't Stop Believing.

Stompa - Kurt, Patrick and Joanne.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  4. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Aren't these just the best moments? We were on-ice and Osmond came up and gyrated like crazy right in our faces! My friend: "I hope Rosie DiManno isn't here to see this part. And she's 18!" Me: "You mean you weren't like that at 18?"

5. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Love the Rosie DiManno reference.

6. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Loved Kurt's Trust in Me program. More people should watch his video to see a real master of figure skating at work. Thank God that no one was screaming in the crowd during his performance because those loud girls ruined some beautiful moments for me in several other videos. lol

Magical skating from Patrick to Best of Me in Montreal, with gorgeous spins and incredible quality in everything else he was doing on the ice. So charming.

Is there a music Tessa and Scott can't dance to? I think I played their Top Hat and Tails video like fifty times over and I marveled each time. Perfection.:swoon:

Duhamel/Radford skated a lovely program too, with a great transition into the throw jump. Who choreographed Say Something for them? Was it Eric himself perhaps?

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  7. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Julie Marcotte choreographed both "Home" & "Say Something".

8. moirvirtuefan

moirvirtuefan New Member

8 days until I see Tessa and Scott and Patrick and all the others!! I can't hardly wait!! I wish it was tomorrow lol. My city is always the second last stop on the tour and it's so tempting not to watch videos lol!

9. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Thank you, N_Halifax.:)

10. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

You're welcome! Glad I was able to clarify! :)

11. spikydurian

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you, particularly, for Jeff's program.

13. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Photo today in Winnipeg Free Press - Chan works drive-thru window on McHappy Day. - http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/430*465/20140507_CHAN1_17569143.jpg

Yesterday's Free Press Articles -

Eric Radford - Dancing to his own Music (more than just about Tribute) - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/entertainment/arts/small-town-big-dreams-258064531.html

The same page includes a sidebar about the new rule allowing lyrics in competitive skating for singles and pairs including comments by Jeff Buttle, Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Also cross-posted in the Duhamel/Radford thread yesterday :): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...r-goals-quot&p=4256752&viewfull=1#post4256752

Thank you! :respec: Same person also uploaded "The Walker" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1yAYKyFOTc and Chan's "Best of Me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bKSg3ykThg

15. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Ah yes Sylvia, sorry about that. I found your link after I put one here - wasn't trying to steal your thunder.

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

^^^ No offense meant or taken. :) I often cross-post articles on FSU. ETA - Here's a 1-minute audio interview with Patrick Chan in Winnipeg (will cross-post in his uber thread): http://www.cjob.com/2014/05/07/world-figure-skating-champ-performs-in-winnipeg/

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  17. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

A bit of a review on the Winnipeg show. Overall grade - definitely an A! Some fantastic skating and the largest crowd in a number of years.

Kurt: The old guy’s still got it. :) 2 great programs, easy double axels, and even a 3toe. No idea what we’re going to do when he finally does retire.

Jeff: Poor guy was not having a good jump day. :( 3 falls total, 2 in his second half number. Wonderful to watch though, and really shines in the group numbers.

Joannie: She is in unbelievable shape and skating with such great confidence. She may have doubled one jump, but the rest of her jumps were spot on. Neither of her programs really struck a chord with me this year unfortunately, but she skated them very well.

Tessa & Scott: Have to be honest, I haven’t really been a fan of these two for many years, but they’re starting to grow on me again. Enjoyed both their numbers.

Shawn: Two amazing and original programs once again. He was born to be a show skater. Had one fall on a 3flip in his Sail program.

Kaitlyn & Andrew: Can’t quite recall what they skated to – too busy drooling over Andrew. ;) Seriously, they were very good, especially in Try with Tessa & Scott.

Patrick: His programs are nothing special really when you think about it, but his skating is just so sublime that you feel like you’re watching a masterpiece. My coach actually teared up during his Michael Bublé number. Big, strong confident jumps.

Meagan & Eric: Maybe I’m just feeling sad over all the splits in the Canadian pairs ranks, but they were the highlight of the show for me. Meagan had quite a scary fall on one of their 3twists. :yikes:

Kaetlyn: You’d never know she was a tour newbie. Other than a brief hesitation in the finale, she seemed totally comfortable with the group numbers. Landed all of her jumps, except for doubling the 3flip in her Jessie J number. Still wearing a wrap on her right thigh.

Fave group number: No surprise, The Walker, but I enjoyed all of them. :)

The Lindt reps were handing out chocolate caramel truffles. :swoon: I‘ve uploaded a handful of my photos here if anyone wants to check them out.

18. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

Thanks for reports and links to the videos/photos, everyone! I really enjoyed reading/watching them.

19. spikydurian

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  20. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I particularly like the selfie. Notice Osmond has perfect posture!

21. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

It appears they may be keeping the same pairings at the Meet & Greet for all events (although not necessarily in the same table order). ie. Kaetlyn & Shawn, Tessa & Scott, Patrick & Jeff, Meagan & Eric, and Kaitlyn & Andrew. By process of elimination, I assume the person in the white shirt just off the right edge of the picture could be Joannie who was paired with Kurt.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  22. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Canadian Tour has never disappointed me and it was again wonderful this year.

That's my picture. :) Well it's Kurt's but with my camera. ;) Hope you link to the tweet rather than the picture itself so the readers can find the source and the context.

That's correct. Kurt took my camera to take a picture of Joannie and me, then while I was talking with her Kurt took bunch of random pictures with it, including his selfies of his face, and of his backside. :lol:

Sylvia, spikydurian, manhn and 3 others like this.
  23. puglover

puglover Active Member

What a great opportunity for Kaetlyn to tour and skate with such a terrific bunch of veteran skaters. Just an impression, but they seem like a very welcoming group without huge egos.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think in the old days when it was a set cast it was quite cliquish and sometimes hard for new cast members to fit in, but I think that given that all the skaters on CSOI and SOI this year have been competing with each other for years, it's more collegial. Everyone at the show I went to seemed to be having a ball, and :sekret: spotting a few of them out clubbing together afterward.

25. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Skate Talker, thank you for directing me to their comments. I see that Jeffrey gives thumbs up to music with lyrics for competitive fs programs which actually is not surprising at all because one would certainly expect choreographers from younger generations to be open to change and embrace the new rule. He might lose the respect of traditionalists over this though.;)

I thought Jeffrey was amazing in his solo part in the beginning of The Walker program. The man can move.:cool:

From Meet and Greet for your personal albums.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnImrmVCYAAqrkv.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnIg1JbCcAAggYP.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnIWtS8CQAAiFxx.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnIkTpWCYAAqQs1.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnIgPmCCEAA_SGu.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnIfiIDCAAAQx3T.jpg:large

26. zebraswan

zebraswan Member

Thank you to all for sharing pics & reports, especially Shutterbug and VarBar for the great photos of SHAWN! Yes, I have a crush...and he looks so cute in that leopard(?) costume!

27. midori

midori Well-Known Member

28. spikydurian

Sure. Happy to link the pictures to the tweet in future.

I was skeptical when I first learned about allowing music with lyrics for competition. But now, having watched a few programs with music eg. Patrick's Best of Me, I thought skating to that music and lyrics isn't too distracting. The lyrics, music and skating blend together wonderfully. I think it's choosing the right music with lyrics. This opens up more choice for the younger skaters but I think the elite skaters are likely to choose the more traditional music.

I love The Walker very much and cannot help but marvel at the talented guys. You have Buttle - (budding) Master Choreographer, Sawyer - Master Performer, Scott - Master Dancer, Andrew - Master Smouldering Looks :D, Patrick - Master of the Blade. Not forgetting Kurt - The Old Master of Showmanship and Eric - Master of Music Composition (I love his SP composition). :)

Eric Radford tweeted a cute pix of himself and Patrick making funny faces.

A fan's blog on the show.

I have been trying hard to look for Shawn's vids but isn't successful. I managed to find a couple of brief vids of his programs.If anyone finds his vids, please post here to share.
    https://www.keek.com/keek/aMwWdab
    http://instagram.com/p/ntzHTrHLrF/

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  29. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed CSOI last night in Edmonton. The guys' number was grest and we both really liked the ballerina one. We did notice a couple of darker themes in the music, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but not a usual thing for SOI in my memory.

I hope Kaetlyn is able to let her injury heal when the tour is done...she was tightly taped last night in one number and struggled with her jumps. There is absolutely no denying her showmanship though! Joannie is just exquisite, Jeff is a symphony on ice, Shawn is a wonderfully creative performer and Kurt still has the best feet in the world. I enjoyed Patrick more in the group numbers and his first solo. We really enjoyed Duhamel and Radford, and both dance teams are a treat. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Weaver and Poje's tango, and I could watch Tessa skate all day. I enjoyed the number where both dance teams were together...to see the subtle differences between them.

All in all, it was a wonderful night of skating...I' really glad we went.

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  30. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Last edited: May 11, 2014