2014 Canadian Stars on Ice tour (articles, photos, reports/reviews)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by N_Halifax, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Aaaaaaah...... Lovely show! Great on-ice seats with a good bunch of friends.
    The opening number was brilliant! If that doesn't make you so proud to be a Canadian, then what will? The skating was superb throughout, only Osmond had some wobbles. It's stunning to see how rich Canada is in terms of talented skaters. I could ooze for hours on the sheer wonderfulness of Scott and Tessa; they don't just move fluidly, they ARE fluidity! Joannie seems to be able to do anything; I can't think of a female skater recently who has been able to capture my interest so. Jeff's numbers are works of art that should be studied. We loved Du/Rad and were both surprised that this time we were watching Eric. He is a wonderful partner. Weaver/Poje? Fantastic, sizzling. Quite a few women in our area were drooling over Andrew! And Shawn? What a showman! And it's now the cheap, easy stuff. He really delivers! I agree with Ryan. I hope his routines show up on youtube soon. Nice to see Nam. He certainly has grown. We enjoyed Patrick. I know some have complained that there were only Canadian skaters this year but they've been topnotch, not a dud in the bunch. Group numbers were fun. We really liked the guys number. Oh the things they do with Shawn! I like the girls' one although I am going to have to find out more about the song "Creepy". I couldn't make out the words. All of the performances are worth looking at again.
    And then there's Kurt! Sharp as ever. Only he could pull off that comedic number, shades of Scott Hamilton. Sonia and the kids were there.
    One really good thing; the past few years the numbers have been low (2000-5000). Tonight, about 10,000! The staff were really happy; they like working SOI because skating fans are polite, very happy and we don't cause any trouble!
    We liked the music and loved the choreography. A very high standard keeps loyal SOI fans.
    It was a good night! May the rest of you across Canada enjoy!

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Indeed, you lucky Canadians!! Nam is a born performer and happy to hear that he nailed his 3A. Mind you, he's only 15yo lest we forget. What a promising star.

Wow.. glad to hear the high turnout. Mind you, they are all quality Canadian skaters and everyone is so talented and so very nice too. I am sooo jealous of you Canadians.;)

Found some pixs posted on Twitter: group number pix one and two. and a snap vid.

3. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Still need to get you up here, spikey! I do hope that some of these fine skaters figure out a way of touring Australia. When Scott and Tessa came out, we felt like our ears were going to be blasted off! There is nothing quite like hearing that 10,00-strong aaaah when those two start!
    Hoping for some more reports.

4. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody :)

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sounds like we were sitting very close together - I was also in the 3rd row a few rows in front of Brian! Also saw Josee on my way out of the building - I imagine there were many friends in attendance last night.

Agree with all your comments. I bought my tickets months ago as a consolation for not being able to go to Canadians without knowing what a stellar cast we'd have, and I'm SOOO glad I did! What a fantastic show - right up there with the old days when SOI was at its height. My own gushing comments:

Joannie - my absolute favourite ladies skater ever, and she's still got it - loved the second number in particular :)
    Kurt - the footwork by which all others should be measured - never a big fan of his goofy numbers, but that second number was awesome. He's so inhumanly natural on skates that one almost imagines that without them he'd wobble over and not be able to walk! (And for those who have never seen Sonia dance - go, now! She's an absolutely exquisite dancer - one does wonder what those children will achieve with such seriously talented performing artists as parents.)
    Jeffrey - one almost forgets his greatness on the ice, but his second number was spectacular - creative, powerful, compelling. Did he also choreograph the group numbers? So much fun. And also articulate with his bit for charity :)
    Kaetlyn - as noted a bit wobbly but my favourite thing about her is that she smiles and sells it. Far too many ladies skaters over the years and today look so serious and distant when they skate, and Kaetlyn is such a breath of fresh air.
    Patrick - so fun to see him having fun! And so great to watch without being on the edge of my seat holding my breath :lol: He was really good in the group numbers too - including a lift with Kaitlyn!
    Shawn - showmanship defined, and plenty of his trademark bendy moves to please the crowd :) Good to see him having so much fun.
    Nam - a delight!
    Megan and Eric - would have loved to see some SBS moves but really enjoyed them (although still mourning Dylan - he would have been so great in this show, even on his own!)
    Kaitlyn and Andrew - their second number was more traditional, but it was their first number I adored - so passionate :swoon:
    Tessa and Scott - I'll wave my Canadian flag freely here and say they are the best, no matter what the results. I could easily watch an entire ice show of just them skating, so :p to the haterz!

Also, the ladies group number was to a song called Creep originally by Radiohead - it's been covered widely so not sure what version that was. It was the oddest moment of the show - like some bizarre vignette from The Black Swan. I enjoyed it, but it really didn't fit into the overall tone of the show, which was as the final song said, Happy!

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This fan from the US hopes for video of these.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  8. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

SO glad you enjoyed it as much as I did! :)

9. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Really really nice and entertaining, no dull or meaningless moment in this Finale and you wouldn't say that Kurt is not THAT young anymore. Joannie missed the double axel but not Kurt.;) Stars on Ice seems to be in good hands with Jeffrey behind the choreography and music selections. Great show from what I've seen so far and so much talent in just one place.:cool:

Thanks everyone for links to videos, photos and reports.

10. N_Halifax

11. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  12. robmc

robmc New Member

lets hope she doesnt fall in a group number

13. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Did Javier skate?

14. N_Halifax

Javier's not on the Canadian tour this year.

15. fan

fan Well-Known Member

He was practising with them on Friday? Just for a Toronto guest appearance?

16. danceallnight

danceallnight New Member

Javi was there on Friday at rehearsals, but not part of the Canadian group: it was all reserved for Canadian skaters. Javi did the Japan tour, with many of the same numbers. So he did not skate at the rehearsals, was just there to look out for Nam.

17. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. So sweet for him to take on such a brotherly role

18. spikydurian

19. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

"Try" was performed at the 2013 US tour by different couples (Katia & Ilia, and Kim & Brent). It should have been done by Jeff and Renee Roca, or either of them.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

She did in Hamilton, during the finale. While they re-shot a number of other misses (some we didn't notice the first time), they didn't re-do the finale. Osmond certainly sells a number, but still managed to seem the rookie. It was kind of endearing.

Megan & Eric looked soooo out of place most of the show. :shuffle: One of their hand to hand lifts looked all kinds of sloppy. But they really surprised me with their Say Something number! :)

21. spikydurian

I heard that Kaetlyn may be nursing an injury. That may have affected her performance. But she has a great personality on ice. I am sure when she is back healthy, we will enjoy her even more.:)

22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sad, but why she need to do tour this season? Maybe will be better to spend this time for recovering? Wish a lot off health to her in next season!

23. danceallnight

danceallnight New Member

24. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  25. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

The boys just rock their number...wow! And I don't think I've ever seen Patrick looking like he's genuinely enjoying each and every bit of it to death. He was at the top of his game there. That's the spirit, Patrick.
    Jeffrey really made those guys sweat with such an ubeat music and intricate choreo, almost no two moves are alike. Awesome performance from all the men.:cool:

26. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

I believe you're correct. Her thigh was wrapped for the Toronto show but in Hamilton she wasn't wearing the wrap (likely because of the tv taping). I have to say though she was more consistent on her jumps last night than in Toronto which is a good sign! Hope her leg feels better soon!

27. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

More uploaded by the same person:
    Patrick Chan's "Best of Me": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5213L4b6fbE
    Chan's "Steppin' Out": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQnrrBKrF0
    Joannie Rochette's "Notre Dame de Paris": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJnvux37PSc
    Rochette's "Shot Me Down": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv6Yhi8btVU
    "The Walker": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBKnQ9CYXY
    "Creep": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDr4JnBBKcU
    Kurt Browning's "Trust in Me": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F4q4fmxSF8
    Duhamel/Radford's "Say Something": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUnVoZJXb2o
    Weaver/Poje's Tango: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9F_OZOIvzs
    Virtue/Moir's "Top Hat and Tails" & Finale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WAtIJcHtAQ

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  29. Gimme A Hug

Gimme A Hug New Member

I was at the Toronto show, about 4th row in the stands, right by the railing, next to and just above one of the entrance to the on ice seats. During the boys group number, Kaitlyn Weaver walked in and stood in the entranceway to watch the number. She was cheering and clapping the loudest out of anyone there. She ran off right afterwards and I didn't want to bug her for a picture.

30. zebraswan

zebraswan Active Member

Still no uploads of Shawn's individual programs? Are people trying to torture me? :huh:

Signed,

a huge Shawn Sawyer fan :(