2014 Canadian Stars on Ice tour (articles, photos, reports/reviews)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by N_Halifax, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia. So wish I can be there. Please come to Australia!

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Photos and music info tweeted by N_Halifax:
    Virtue/Moir's "Top Hat" and "Cheek to Cheek": http://pic.twitter.com/Rn3xvSMqC4

Osmond's first number "Over The Rainbow": http://pic.twitter.com/lqH4o2rJ0P

ETA a close up photo of Moir with Chan behind him in "The Walker": http://pic.twitter.com/8H4i4thvCn

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  4. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

nuge and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks for taking the time to include so many details! :) I don't see the video anywhere?

6. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I think Nam posted the same thing on Twitter.

I wonder if his recent win as Junior World Champion led to the organizers deciding to invite him?

7. N_Halifax

You're welcome Sylvia! For some reason, videos embedded in blogger don't always work if you're viewing from mobile or a tablet or something... who knows? I'm no technology buff... haha. At any rate, here's a direct link to the video of the finale:

http://youtu.be/UorLsxYSZL4

I have several more pictures I didn't include (many turned out blurry) but there are some that didn't. If anyone's looking for anything specific, just shoot me a message with your email address. :)

WildRose and (deleted member) like this.
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

9. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I was at the show last night too. I scored excellent seats, row D, behind the players bench, centre ice (right on the red line).

I thought the show was excellent. Made me realize how privileged we are to have such a wealth of skating talent in Canada and get to see such a great show every year.

Highlights for me were:

'stompa' with Kurt, Joannie, and Patrick. No one moves as good as Kurt Browning. He amazes me every time I see him with how good he really is. Dude can MOVE.

Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje. Love them and it was a real treat to see them skate their FD. Andrew is the hottest thing on skates and he even looks good in day-glo yellow with lime green jeans....lol!

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. Loved both their numbers but especially 'Putting on my top hat.' Their edges really are silent. It's almost eerie.

Loved 'Try' with both Tessa and Scott and Kaitlyn and Andrew. I think that was my favorite of the night. Just gorgeous.

Meghan Duhamel and Eric Radford were great showing us why they have been so successful this past season.

I really enjoyed Patrick Chan's skates too, in particular the one with Michael Buble singing the Vanessa Williams song "Save the Best for Last."

Overall, it was a great show. It won't disappoint and I only wish I could see it again.

10. zebraswan

zebraswan Active Member

I really hope someone will upload videos of Shawn soon! Will the show be aired on Canadian tv and if so, when?

11. N_Halifax

Probably not for a couple months at least or until the fall? I really wish I would have taken videos of Shawn's numbers. They were honestly two of the best programs I've ever seen from him. Such great music choices & ideas choreographically.

12. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Thanks for all of this Ryan! My friends and I are getting excited about the Toronto show! Glad to hear the woo woos and it seemed you almost had Jeff B. in your lap. Last year I almost had John Kerr and Kurt in my lap (not at the same time though)
    zebraswan, if memory serves, the show appears on Canadian tv around Christmas and again in early April (at least this is what has happened in the past).

13. N_Halifax

Glad you enjoyed Scrufflet! I think I almost had the entire cast in my lap at one point or another during the night. Our seats were on the side not far from the tunnel where they all come this year as opposed to one of the ends and what a better view. :) Hope you have a blast at the TO show!

14. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how the meet-and-greets are supposed to work? I know you pick up the pass at the box office and then they're held after the show? But does anyone know if you're just supposed to hang around the arena or if there will be a designated area to go to? If anyone goes to one and knows and could let the board know? That'd be great!

15. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

In my seat in Ottawa waiting for the show to start. Sounds like I have a great show to look forward to!

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Have a great time! Will wait your report!

17. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed review, N_Halifax!

Thanks! Then perhaps I need to bring a thick coat. ;)

18. N_Halifax

You're so welcome, midori! Glad you enjoyed it! :) XX

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I just got back from the Ottawa show. Well, a couple of hours ago. It was great! The last one I attended was in 2012 and it was fine, but this one was even better (it could be because I got to sit about four rows from the ice, whereas in 2012 I was up in the second level). All of the numbers were good, but I enjoyed Shawn Sawyer's the most, I have to say. I have to give kudos to Kurt for still skating well when the rest of the cast is so much younger than him, lol. They picked great music this time too.

20. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I went to one a few years ago in Toronto so I don't know if it will be the same for you but here goes. I received an email detailing everything, where, when, what we could do and not do. The MAG was held before the show; we arrived well before the show, were directed to certain spots, were allowed to watch the warm-up from higher seats (told not to approach the skaters for any purpose), then directed to an ice-level entrance where skaters came to a table for autographs and signings for about half an hour or so. You usually get 2 skaters (we got Cynthia and Joannie) but you don't know who until you get there unless you have an inside source.
    It sounds like you may get a different experience but I would strongly suggest that you call the box office or whoever you ordered your pass from and get the details so that you won't miss out on any part of the experience.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

In case someone can go to this tomorrow!
    https://www.facebook.com/events/775876222437035/?ref=22
    ETA:
    Thanks, Ryan!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  22. N_Halifax

23. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Dave's photos are excellent, as usual! I saw the show here in Ottawa yesterday and it was excellent :cheer:

24. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I enjoyed the show very much.
    Though I have to say the ladies' number lived up to its name - I found it creepy.

25. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

In regards to the meet and greet, it's very different this year. They're all being held after the shows this time around, I know what to do in terms of how to pick up my pass. I just don't know what to do or where to go after the fact so I was hoping someone here would know. :)

26. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Glad to hear that! My daughter and I are going to the Edmonton show on the 9th. I didn't think to get a ticket for my 5-year-old granddaughter and her nose is a little out of joint. She did go to Disney on Ice in Calgary and got to go backstage after because BD skated with one of their performers for years. I told her I'd take her to SOI next year when she's a little older. She was okay with that.

My seats are in section 102, row 13. I like to be a little higher up to see the whole ice surface. I really am looking forward to this year's show, partly because I really enjoy all the current Canadian skaters who are performing, and partly because I realize that we're likely only going to be able to enjoy Kurt's performances for a certain length of time before he hangs up the skates. I haven't been for about five years -- it should be great!

27. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

28. N_Halifax

Loved BOTH of these!

29. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Sitting at centre ice, 3rd row. I always come on my own and get great seats (sat next to Sonia and the kids two years ago) but my ten year old has been begging me to take her so it may be my last chance to have such a great view. Am I being selfish? ;)

30. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

We are so lucky in Canada to get such a fantastic cast! The quality of everything, including the group numbers, was amazing. Kaetlyn fell a couple times, once on a jump (she bounced right back up), the other time for no reason in a group number ;) but laughed it off. Nam was the guest skater and did a great job in front of coach Brian Orser, who came in after the break and went to sit in the stands to get a better view a few rows behind me. Nam is such a performer that it looked out of place when he decided to go for a long entry into what I assumed was a triple axel attempt (which he singled). I was amused that he had tried it at all given performance lighting, then he surprised everyone by going to the other end of the rink, stalking it again, and nailing it! He did deserve applause for that one :) Exhibition rules though, if you are going to break the momentum to stalk a jump you had better be sure to land it. Good for him to get it out there once again under pressure.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.