1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 AGT - aka Covering Your Eyes, Fighting Nausea, and Cheering with Delight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by A.H.Black, May 28, 2014.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Starts tonight. Same cast of judges are back.

Bearded Singers and diaper jokes. Hopefully there are some good acts as well.

2. rfisher

rfisher At least I still have Pairs to look forward to

Off to a good start. The little Sheldon Cooper pianist was too cute, the comedian who went through was funny, the old guy pulling the car was adorable. I don't know how the hand balance act can top that without going outside the theater. I still like this judge panel. Howard Stern keeps Howie Mandel from being too manic and I just like Heidi and Mel B.

I love variety acts and thoroughly enjoy this show. Some of the bad acts are just too funny. The karate guys had me :rofl:

3. A.H.Black

I loved the operatic duo and the dancers. I thought Howard was foolish to waste his golden button on the karate act.

4. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I missed how that Golden Buzzer thing works. Each judge gets one Save, right? Is it one Save per show, or one Save per judge for the entire season?

:shuffle: I thought the Karate guys were funny.

5. A.H.Black

One save per season. That's why I think Stearn was foolish to use it. He will probably try to influence one of the other judges to use their golden buzzer to save one of his favorites later in the season.

6. BaileyCatts

Ahh ... okay. I thought it was one per show, since he used it on the very first show. But then thought that would be kinda crazy. Now that I know ... yeah, if that was his one and only shot to use it, they were funny, but not THAT funny that he used his only Save on an audition round. I would be keeping my Save back until the Live shows if that's allowed.

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hopping around

Those guys may not have been in the first audition group. Remember, the auditions before the judges are scheduled after the producer auditions at the cattle calls. For all we know, Stern may have passed on 100 acts before choosing the karate dudes.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I was also impressed by the ladies who sang the "Flower Song" from "Lakme".

9. taf2002

taf2002 If it walks like a duck.....

He doesn't keep him too manic for me. Also Howie's assessments of the acts are too long-winded - they are as boring as Cee-Lo's on The Voice. Just say if you like or not & then shut up. I like Howard's comments the best - they are pithy, often funny, & to the point. And I still find it strange that Heidi is part of this show. Four judges are too many IMO & other than her looks she adds nothing to the show, for me at least.

I was pleasantly surprised by the talent & the show this year, It had a different feel. I really liked the little boy & the comedian & the opera ladies & it didn't have the awful acts that make you cringe, other than the mime. I wasn't going to watch the auditions & there is still too much filler such as the backstage crap that I don't care about but since I taped the show I was able to watch 2 hrs in about 20 mins.

10. A.H.Black

I thought the mime thing might have backfired a little bit. They laughed and it was a good prank, but I think they were truly a bit frightened. All they would need is for someone to try it for real.

11. A.H.Black

True, they probably saw tons of acts before he did it, but I think this was the first city. Don't they go to several cities for auditions? Besides that, I would want to keep mine for close to the finals so I could save an act that barely didn't make it. I might want to use it in one of those situations where the judge has to decide between the two acts on the bubble - that way they could save both.

12. skatesindreams

I think that Howard may regret his decision.
    I didn't find that act "funny" at all.

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hopping around

DH loved them. He's a Stooges fan.

14. rfisher

rfisher At least I still have Pairs to look forward to

Well, well. Who expected AGT to be the first show to have two male salsa dancers dance together as a couple. They were very good, even in spite of all the jokes between Howard and Howie. I missed most of the rest of the show due to a storm, but this is why AGT is one of the best shows on TV. I hope John and Andrew go far.

15. HisWeirness

HisWeirness TAT-wannabe

Loved John and Andrew! :)

16. BaileyCatts

I don't know which one was John or Andrew, but the Tall Guy was a way better dancer. :p

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hopping around

My review:
    Cute boy with hat isn't all that. Bet he survives to the Top 10.
    15 yo girl was surprisingly good. Bet they ruin her by making her sing more contemporary material.
    I think John and Andrew were quite good, but won't know for sure until they are on a proper floor with floor mics.
    I wish they had shown more than snippets of the dancers that got through.

18. A.H.Black

The only one I think has a real chance from this week is the 15-year-old chanteuse, although I liked the aerialist as well. If she has more access to better animation for her backdrop, she might make a career of her act. I like her imagination. I also think the guy with the hat will keep going for a while - he needs to get rid of the hat.

19. taf2002

I know I'll be accused of being homophobic but I hated the salsa dancers. The short one was so creepy & I didn't think he was anything special but I know why he said that he has never found a better partner because the tall one was fantastic. The short one wasn't even as good as the celebrities on DWTS IMO.

I loved the aerialist & the male singer with the hat. What a cutie! I thought the girl singer was just ok - IMO she murdered one of my favorite songs but I think that was the strange arrangement. She needs to hear how Sisaundra sang it on The Voice.

20. BaileyCatts

Loved the female comedian with the bit about how women are like dogs and men are like cats! Every joke was spot on perfect! :rofl:

Loved the up close bar magician too, and the guy who sang last to close the show.

Totally agreed with Howard about the jugglers and working the crowd. I sure hope they worked that bit out with Nick ahead of time though! :lol:

But I wanted to see more of the kitties!! Did they get thru to the next round or not?

21. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I wasn't watching all of the show real close, but they flew by a female singer wearing red and showed her with her husband back stage with Nick. It's Mary Louise Lee - wife of Denver Mayor Michael Hancock.

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hopping around

Smoothini killed it. I think there's another story there. He's such an accomplished performer, I'm guessing he has some serious acting in his background.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think that Mudslinger's trainer works for my company.

24. taf2002

I loved the female comic & Smoothini. Also liked the cats & the pig & the handstander. I thought the last guy who sang wasn't very good. He had way too much vibrato. Maybe it's just me. He got through to the next round so I'll hear him again.

25. skatesindreams

The handstander from Ukraine was terrific.
    Looking forward to what he does in the next round,

26. Prancer

Prancer Orchidaceous Cynosure of Decadence Staff Member

What did Howard say?

I kind of know the Kamikaze Fireflies a little bit :shuffle:. But I forgot to watch.

27. BaileyCatts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgXftYuP1Q

Here's the clip from AGT performance. It was really just a quick comment about knowing how to work a crowd, but that's what drew me in right away, was how the guy was engaging with the crowd. Usually jugglers just make me go 'meh', but they were exciting and it was his personality that made me like it more. And Nicks reactions too. :lol:

Prancer and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Prancer

Prancer Orchidaceous Cynosure of Decadence Staff Member

Hmm, well, among other things, Rob (who has been doing this forever) used to be the warmup act for America's Got Talent, so he should know how to work that crowd. :lol: But that's pretty much how they are in their show--lots of interaction with the audience. They really are what he said--an old-timey vaudeville variety act--so they probably won't juggle next time.

29. BaileyCatts

Anyone still watching? :)

I am still chuckling at the final act last night, whose name I can't remember or I would go find the link and watch it again. The 84 year old guy who sang the song?! I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so much. Didn't see that one coming at all! No he probably won't get to the Finals, but damn he was funny and made me laugh!

I think the open auditions are over now and next week starts the cut rounds to get it down to the Finals we get to vote on. This and DWTS are the only shows I still vote on. I didn't start watching this show until about 2010 or 2011. Wish I woulda been watching it all the seasons. This show is so fun!

30. taf2002

The old man was terrific but I also really liked the comedian who had his wife & 2 kids backstage.