2013 Westminster Dog Show - Feb. 11 & 12

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I said the same a few posts prior.

I've gotten so used to it that this year, I didn't even watch. I was really disheartened last year when the Peke one, especially since I don't care for the breed. The dialogue about that and small dogs being in general indicated that the reason for this is that it is easier to breed those dogs pure to standard. I'm not sure why this is, perhaps because they are smaller and therefore easier to control genetically? Or, perhaps because so many of the bigger dogs are bred for other purposes - guiding, hunting, policing, therapy, etc. - there is a less a focus on breeding pure to standard and less breeders who breed the dogs for show?

Add to this the horrid, heartbreaking documentary that came about what breeders were doing to dogs to make them more suitable for show. Things like weakening the hips of the German Shepherd dog and spreading cancer in the Cavalier. Turned me off Westminister a bit, though I admit I couldn't avoid watching if a real dog like Josh the Newfoundland won again.

2. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I wanted Labrador to finally win this year. I hate small dogs.

3. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's time to have 7-9 judges instead of one. Also I don't know how he can compare a breed to another breed and put one over the other.. The judging is 1000 times worse than figure skating. Very questionable judging over all. Time for a new judging system.

4. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I love Bernies. It has always saddened me that theyhave such short life spans and that about 70% die from cancer; I've been told this by several people, a breeder and a vet among them. I know that big dogs tend to go sooner but I have never been able to figure out why Bernies have such a rough time. Anyone got any theories? The lovely dog next door died at age 4!

5. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I love Berners too, but the health issues would prevent me from ever getting a purebred. The general speculation is that their size places more stress on big dogs' organs, which causes them to die more quickly. But as for why Berners have more issues, particularly with cancer, I don't know if anyone really has an idea. Probably it just has to do with something connected to the dominant genes in the breed.

I'm just thankful that I have been very lucky with my Berner mix (with Border Collie). She's 10-and-a-half, and in great health. Saturday actually will be 10 years to the day from when I first found her at a rescue event.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  6. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

:yikes: @ the hostility towards small dogs. :wuzrobbed

Its not only small dogs that win. Its not that long ago that a German Shorthaired Pointer won. :rollin:

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

And Hickory the Scottish Deerhound just a couple of years ago. She was my favourite win!

Of course much of the "hostility" (or sterotypes against) small dogs has less to do with the dogs and more to do with some of the people who gravitate toward those breeds. Esp. the toys. Y'know, the folks who think of them as fashion accessories. :( Not a nice thing to do to a little wolf.)

I myself don't discriminate by size. :p Some of my favourite breeds include little dogs (Westies, Wired Dachshunds), medium (CBGBs, Boxers), and big dogs (Goldens, Berners, German Shepherds, Irish Wolfhounds).

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The judge (in theory, at least) is not comparing one breed to another. He is comparing each individual dog to the ideal standard of its breed, looking for the BIS, the dog that best exemplifies the standard of its breed.

9. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

She sounds gorgeous! Lucky you! I wish you both many years ahead.

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Exactly. The Affenpinscher was apparently closer to the ideal Affenpinscher than the other dogs were to the ideal of their breed. Which is why I was surprised by the relative youth of the BiS judge as it's usually someone who has been around long enough to have a REALLY broad experience of judging breeds.

That actually tends to put the rarer breeds at a disadvantage, and the newer ones--the judges don't see them as much so it's a harder call. OTOH I think the Labs and Goldens have the opposite problem--there's too many of them, they're common as crabgrass, and they either kind of blend, or it's a little harder to have that one ideal dog. I know I'm just never especially grabbed by a Lab when I see one. That was one reason I think Uno surprised people--beagles are another really common breed that kind of blend in.

The giant breeds just don't live as long. Some of the toys and smaller dogs tend to live a lot longer. (I knew a Bichon who lived to age 20, and a smooth Dachs who was 17.)

And no kidding bigger dogs win...forget Hickory and the Pointer, how about Josh the Newfie? That would be like owning a small bear.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Josh was my favorite BIS. :swoon:

12. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Swagger is competing in Denver this weekend.

13. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

IME, many toy dogs tend to be either hyper, extremely timid (shaking) or downright mean. I don't hate them (my post above was more in jest than in hostility) - I just personally don't have much use for them, and would never own one. I know their owners love them (including our illustrious webmistress) - more power to them!

Don't bring logic and rules into this conversation!

I think in a lot of ways, watching a dog show is like an uniformed person watching figure skating. We know what we like, we can clearly see which one is the best (according to our own tastes and biases), and since we don't understand the rules or the judging, we wuzrob. Human nature. :lol:

14. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I've met big dogs who fit each of those descriptions as well.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Swagger wuz robbed!! Yeah yeah I know, the affenpinscher was the affenpinscherest affenpischer. Still.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  16. danceronice

Yeah. On my visit to Doggy Jail yesterday, while yes, the Boston was hyper I couldn't blame him (he was a dead-owner surrender so I'm sure he was horribly confused-still not the dog for me) but he ones who gave me bad vibes were a medium-size collie/something mix (too quiet in the wrong way, and just something...off about the body language-he might have been sweet, but ) and a VERY nasty oversize...either a GSD or a Malinois, in either case over breed standard for height and way too aggressive. I feel guilty about walking off without a dog, but none of them spoke to me. Or it would have been wrong--GORGEOUS and very sweet husky mix, but I have cats, and I have a Corgi so I already have more than enough dog hair, thank you. Treeing Walkers need way more 'outdoors' than I could give. And I cannot override my general dislike of chihuahuas plus I have a feeling the timid one would have been eaten by my cats. (As at this shelter dogs who make it to adoption row are there until adopted, I don't feel TOO bad about leaving without a dog.)

17. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

While I know how tough it was for you to leave w/out one, I also admire you for realizing none of those dogs were either right for you and the conditions at your home or you listened to that little voice that told you something is not right w/this animal somehow. There's too many stories out there about those dogs that did end up happening to and the sad endings to those stories.

So good to you for truly being a dog lover danceronice, because a true animal lover also knows when it's right to say "I'd love to, but I can't for the good of the animal."

18. danceronice

Lol, thank you, at least someone on the intrawebs doesn't think I'm a complete heartless beyotch (I mean, I can be on line, but do not put puppies in front of me, just don't.) I may go troll the shelter the next county over, hit up a few more adoption events. I have in my head what I want, I just hope my poor Old Dog doesn't get too hideously depressed in the meantime (Corgi does no really play with him and he's so down now the foster's gone.) The cats on the other hand think I should put all dogs up on eBay.

I do hope someone goes and gets poor Mr. Wiggles, the Boston. I would go insane, and I really just don't like Bostons, but he does not deserve to be in Doggy Jail. He must be so confused.

19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I too would find it hard to visit shelter dogs and not come home with one. But, it's best to wait for the dog that's right for you. Taking a 'maybe' dog home and then returning it to the shelter would create added stress for the dog.

20. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

We really can't save everyone, can we? I would love to be able to have a few dogs but can't for a number of reasons. We have cats. Over the years, we have had 14 (not all at once! 6 was our max and we stopped doing that) and have loved them all. We had one cat who was completely unworkable.I had tried to help out a friend who owned a cat shelter by taking one who seemed rather disturbed ( the woman had an inoperable brain tumour and needed to simplify her life). I honestly thought I could turn this cat around and found otherwise. He attacked us, could not stay in the house, snuck into other people's houses yet cozied up to small children. Truly bizarre! I figured it was only a matter of time before someone got hurt so we had to get rid of him. The shelter person said he wouldn't even make it as a barn cat, he was so disturbed. My only cat failure! He must have had some brain damage as a kitten, sadly.

Some of our best cats have come from shelters. You definitelt have to get the right match. Luckily, the 3 I have now all adore each other.

21. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

^^ This

22. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Huskies also require a lot of time outdoors, and a lot of walking time as well. They're the biggest escape artists of pretty much any breed.

A good bet is to review available dogs at petfinder.org so that you have a specific dog to visit at a shelter.

23. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The group I got my Beast from, Doubledog Rescue in CT, has Adoption Events frequently in the Hartford/Avon area. They post the adoptables on their website and Facebook page so people can get an idea of the canines they currently have. Although I grew up with various purebreds, my last two have been Mixed Breeds (in my late lamented Muttley's case, very, very mixed) and I doubt if I'll ever go the show dog route again.