2013 Westminster Dog Show - Feb. 11 & 12

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Rachael Flatt weighs in on twitter re Westminster dog show :

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I love Briards!
  3. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

After watching this show for over 20 years, one gets the sense that the judges know who's likely to win. While the results aren't fixed per se...:blocjudge it seems like they know who will win. For example after hearing the record of the Affenpinscher, I knew he'd win the toy group, and he did. It just seems like the group in the Best in Show group rarely has upsets....the Old English Sheepdog notwithstanding.
  4. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for the Old English Sheepdog. He won't win I'm sure.
    I have two friends who were very much into showing dogs back in the 90s and they indicated the judging was all politics - just like figure skating.
    Both of these ladies were in the skating world - one is a coach.
  5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

the spinone looks like good company
  6. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Clumber Spaniel, Spinoni, some great names again tonight.
  7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

She pulled:
    Pointer
    German Wirehaired Pointer
    Golden Retriever
    English Setter
    Clumber Spaniel
    Black Cocker
    English Springer Spaniel

German Wirehaired Pointer wins, Oakley, I hope he goes for the big win
    Black Cocker
    Springer
    Clumber
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Dogue de Bordeaux, ha ha, that strikes me funny, dogue
  9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Yay for the samoyed on behalf of Miffy!
  10. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Portugese Water Dog wins with a haircut
    Doberman
    Boxer
    Rottweiler
  11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I like Porties, but I was rooting for that Sammy. And the Bearnese.
  12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

So far I like the hound and the herding group winners - not thrilled with the Portuguese Water Dog.
  13. Jem X

Jem X Awaiting Skate America

I didn't like that Lion cut on the Porti - they are prettier with a fuller cut.
  14. Jem X

Jem X Awaiting Skate America

Terriers now, I used to have an Airedale, so of course they are my favorite terrier.
  15. my little pony

i am so in love with this white bull terrier. he could be my buddy and go everywhere with me. my cat hates running errands.
  16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

So glad she got the treat!!!!
  17. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

The Breeder/Owner/Handler of the Colored Bull Terrier was Mary Remer, we did two Puppy Kindergarten classes with her with two of our Labs, who only wanted the treats, not the tricks.
  18. my little pony

omg they come in minis!
  19. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Border
    Smooth Fox, this was one that looked like Phantom half black/half white face
    Wire Fox
    Lakeland
    Russell
    Scottish
    Welsh
    Westie

And the winners are Smooth Fox, Wire Fox, Border, Russell

I think a big upset as the Wire Fox had won 2 previous National Dog Shows this year, one was outside of Philly at Thanksgiving and one perhaps in Cal.

Russell was a newly registered breed this year, wow.
  20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

That smooth fox was adorable. I know they're judged against the breed standard, but it deserved the win because of its adorable face mask.
  21. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, duh, they campaign the dogs in advertising, and the more you're seen, the more the judges know you. If judge after judge says "This is an ideal Affenpinscher" and you see it repeated in advertising over and over, that animal's in the front of your mind.

*sigh* No Clumber again (I adore Clumbers, and Sussex Spaniels.) And I was kind of pulling for the Westie or Scottie, figured it would be the Wire Fox, but hey, Smooth Fox...not my favorite (I like the Scottish terrier breeds and tend to think wire coats are more 'terrier.') But then there's the miniature Bull Terrier, which is something I need to just keep forgetting exists because I do not need one but I so do...I'd have a house full of terriers and small spaniels if left to myself. (What do I have? A Pem Corgi and a herding mix.)
  22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

How do they determine what order they enter the ring? It's not the order of the various group judging.
  23. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Sporting - German Wirehaired Pointer
    Hound - American Foxhound
    Working - Portugese Water Dog
    Herding -Old English Sheepdog
    Non-Sporting - Bichon Frise
    Terrier - Smooth Fox Terrier
    Toy - Affenpinscher
  24. danceronice

I've always wondered do they put the toy last because having him in the front or middle would usually cause a bottleneck?

Go Swagger!
  25. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I got all happy for a minute because a Westie was in the bunch, but they never seem to make the final group. *sigh* I love Westies. Mine lived to a ripe old age of 13.
  26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

That makes sense, and the host suggested that the toy was last because of size.
  27. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Reserve Dog (second) - Old English Sheepdog
    Champion Dog (first) - Affenpinscher
  28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

My favorite foxhound was robbed!! The affenpinscher flutzed!!!
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  29. danceronice

Aw, I would have flipped it. But then I just don't care for Affenpinschers in general, rather like my unreasoning prejudice against Pomeranians.
  30. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Agreed! Sometimes I feel like the Dog Show is like Ice Dance!
  31. halffull

halffull Well-Known Member

I loved Swagger. Amazingly huge ball of fluff :rollin: Wouldn't want to have to groom him or sweep the floor after him but boy was he cute :)
  32. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Please don't tell me a Pomeranian won BIS or even worse, an affenpinscher. I am still recovering from Kevin Reynolds' win at 4CC.
  33. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Of the lot, I was hoping for the Old English Sheepdog, but I went to bed before the terriers ended. The only thing I don't like about the judging is that the "power" is all in one person's hands. How can any one person know everything about every breed?
  34. halffull

halffull Well-Known Member

I agree zaphyre14. They commented before the final round that the judge was told which 7 breeds he'd be judging so he could go read up on any breed he wasn't overly familiar with :eek: Doesn't seem right to me.
  35. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Well poop. I don't get Animal Planet so have to wait til this weekend to watch on Discovery ... so I was vigorously avoiding this thread to keep myself spoiler free. But as I was driving in to work this am they gave the results at the end of the radio news. I realized what was being said a second too late and didn't hit the power button in time. Poop, spoiled again.

As for the results ... meh. I think they're ugly little dogs, but whatever. It does make sense, though, that the toys win more than any other group: after all, their only job is to look good and show off. We can't have a Hickory every year I guess!

*sigh*
  36. Aimless

Aimless New Member

I had exactly the same thought. So much is on reputation, what the judge likes that day, the same whiff of subjectivity that makes it so much fun to discuss.
    Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I think the commentator, whose name escapes me, David something, said during the tromping around the room that the Aff is a square dog, that about sums it up.

I agree that it should be a team selecting the winner, and this year, the winners.

The Sheepdog was in his rookie season and was not expected to win his group, much less get to the final, much less be Reserve Champion. IMO, he should have won just on being that good that young. (Although it turned out the Portugese Water Dog was also just about 20 months old.)

I like the German Wirehaired Pointer, he had some character.

There were some stories I would love to read more about, Wirehaired Fox had won two national shows previous to this one this year, one outside of Philly on Thanksgiving and another in either Cal or Fla in January, and was beaten out of its group by Smooth Fox, the Phantom one. Scandal!

Wonder if the Sheepdog will come back next year, or if he will take his money in stud fees and run.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  38. danceronice

Unless he is now AUTOMATICALLY finished (do they point for WKC?) I would think they kind of have to keep showing because Swagger wasn't just a rookie, he's an unfinished class dog--no "Ch." in front of his name. The Portuguese was finished, so less exceptional for him to win group. Young dogs aren't unusual, but since they haven't allowed class dogs in for years, having one the first year they open it up again win BoB and BiG and be the first Reserve Champion is kind of amazing.

The one-judge thing usually doesn't bother me except man, this guy was young. (Relatively speaking.) Normally they're older than Methuselah and have been judging all the groups, so even if they don't know every single breed, they've got a broad experience base.

And with so many breeds, it's so hard to say without actually putting your hands on the dog. So what do I know.

My favorite shot of the night-the lineup outside the ring before best in show where I swear the Portie was sniffing the OES going "How do you see in there?" "See what?"
  39. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

One again the big dogs wuzrobbed.
    halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  40. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I just googled a picture of the affenpinscher. What a hideous dog. :scream: