2013 US WORLDS TEAM ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by vexlak, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And there isn't a prescribed solo triple in the short programs at senior competitions.

One year this girl was sent to Jr Worlds due to her strong senior Nationals showing but she couldn't do a 3flip which was the prescribed jump in the short at Jr Worlds that season so she only did a 2flip there instead. What was her name again? The girl with a very nice Y spin and went to Princeton?

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Overall I think the US assignments for Worlds and Jr Worlds are fair, except I would put Wang on the team, put MIller as 1st alternate, and Siraj as 2nd alternate.

But let this be a lesson to Wang. She needs to fix her short program demons.

I am glad Rippon gets 4CCs - I respect him for by and large fixing the 3axel and he seems more powerful this season. Is he training the quad (toe/ sal/ lutz) still?

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Polina was 6th at 2012 US Nationals as a Junior. She and Mariah Bell (5th) had some terrific performances over this past summer, and were on the list of JGP substitutes, but never got an assignment. Long was 4th in Juniors at 2012 Nationals and she got one assignment (silver medal).

Gold got her one JGP assignment, the last one of the 2011-2012 season, based on fantastic performances in the summer of 2011. She also lucked out in that there weren't quite so many talented ladies that particular JGP season who earned two assignments.

Siraj has skated senior nationals since 2011, when she 14; she finished 8th. She went to a JGP in the fall of 2011 and was 5th. After that, I seem to recall she was injured. She made it to 2012 Nationals and finished 15th so she got no JGP assignments this past fall. I think she got JW because she skated so consistently well in both SP and FS. I love Angela Wang, but she has a history of botched SPs.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Wang did skate a clean SP at the JGP in Croatia, landing 3Lz+3T, 3F, 2A with all 3 spins called level 4. She scored 58.47, which currently ranks her #18 on the ISU Seasons Best SP scores list, and won the gold there.

Katrina Hacker. She finished 5th at 2009 Junior Worlds (her last international) and started at Princeton that fall.

5. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Her Croatia JGP excepted, Angela Wang DOES have a pattern of messy SPs. It seems she has had a problem with the first jump in the program in four of the five SPs over the past year:

US Nationals 2013 SP - fall on the 3z, 10th; 8th in the FS and 9th overall.
    JGPF SP - 3z+1t, 4th; although she was 2nd in the FS, she was too far behind and was 4th overall.
    Lake Placid JGP SP - 3z<+1t, 8th. Although she was 2nd in the FS, she had to settle for 3rd overall.
    US Nationals 2012 SP - fall on 3f, 16th; 6th in the FS and 8th overall.

Maybe she should start the program with the 2a?

6. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Not having the minimum TES complicates things but I was speaking more philosophically. Some years they've picked a gal or two from Seniors and then jumped to Juniors and ran down that list in order of finish. So my question is: at what placement in Seniors do you consider that equal to a win (or 2nd place) in Juniors?

As was pointed out, when you pull from Seniors and Juniors you are kind of comparing apples and oranges. With CoP, I guess you could go by raw scores to some extent. They don't really carry over like that but at least it gets you in the ballpark.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Remember 2007 U.S. Nationals? Rachael Flatt made an impressive senior debut in 5th place but she didn't have an international record that fall (she withdrew from her 1st JGP due to injury). USFS selected the top 3 Juniors for Junior Worlds that year: Nagasu (no international record), Zhang (JGP Final champ), Wagner (2nd in Final).

ETA:
    He reportedly worked on quad toes at some of the Nationals practices.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013