2013 US International FS Classic (Sr B) & Challenge Skate, Sept 11-15, Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

An official site has been launched: http://www.usfigureskatingclassic.com/

Senior B Announcement (PDF)
    The Novice and Junior Challenge Skate for qualified U.S. skaters also returns: http://www.usfigureskatingclassic.com/challenge-skate/
    One of the stated goals:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  2. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Thanks, Sylvia, I was just looking for the schedule yesterday! This was a great event last year. Cheap, very low-key, great roster of skaters, and fun to see the up-and-coming skaters, too. I'm looking forward to it!

3. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia.

I just checked the University of Utah Football schedule. Oregon State will be in town that weekend - Sept 15th. More tailgate madness. Last year the Salt Lake organizing committee did their best to make the skating and the football work together. I look forward to more fun that way this year as well. A bunch of the skaters had an opportunity to golf locally as well. I think they had a great time. September is usually a great time in Salt Lake. The worst of the heat is gone, the nights are lovely and the leaves in the mountains are starting to turn. I'm looking forward to this year.

4. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:lol: Yes, I am sure that is the USFS' preference... wanting some big names skaters to attend the comp.

5. A.H.Black

I hope he comes. It certainly will raise the visibility of the competition. Evan won Novice Men's in Salt Lake in 1999. It's a good city for him.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  6. Sylvia

U.S. entries announced today: https://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=49391&type=media

7. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I find some of the choices very curious. Case in point: Stephen Carriere :confused:

8. Sylvia

U.S. entries announced today: https://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=49391&type=media

9. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Carriere finished in the top 10 at nationals, so a senior B assignment was always likely. The US has five B events to assign skaters to, so I don't think this is a case of Carriere being chosen over the likes of Johnson, Brown, Rippon, etc. They're probably going to Finlandia/Nebelhorn/Coupe de Nice, etc.

To me this is the biggest hint that Hicks will NOT return to the JGP and will instead probably get SA since this competition is right in the middle of JGP season.

10. Sylvia

11. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I have been told that she will not return to the JGP this season.

Stephanie and (deleted member) like this.
  12. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

13. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Not surprised by the presence of Aaron and Lysacek on the roster or absence of Abbott, but I am surprised by Carriere rather than Miner, Rippon, or Brown. Hmm.

14. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Kiss and Cry forum:

15. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Sylvia you are so fast. Of course, I forgot a couple of other potential contenders such as Dornbush and Johnson.

16. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Interesting that the Shibs got both SA and SLC. I was hoping to see C/B in SLC. Fabulous roster overall!!

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Wow for a Senior B competition this has some big names. Aaron and Gold i could see to get some mileage out of their new programs but i have to say i'm surprised to see Davis & White at a Senior B event.

18. A.H.Black

I thought this wasn't supposed to be announced till after August 2nd. I guess that will be all the competitors.

Man-O-Man would you look at that line-up! Especially Dance! And Kayne/O'Shea! I knew Lysacek was planning on coming. For me this certainly has the wow factor. I was thinking of taking a couple of days off work so I can see all of it. I think that will have to be a definite now.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Davis and White competed at Nebelhorn in 2009. I'm sure it's an Olympic season thing.

20. jlai

jlai Title-less

I've just been looking at the plane tickets to Salt Lake City. I'm tempted to go to this one.

21. A.H.Black

Just doing some quick thinking. This line-up could include 8 of the 10 entries on the US Olympic Team. That might be a stretch - but not a big one.

22. misskarne

misskarne #408

Ah. Definite confirmation of Lysacek WD from SkAm then.

Can't see him wanting to embarrass himself by losing twice in a row.

23. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Salt Lake City is at altitude (4300 feet). Not quite as bad as Colorado Springs, but it might be rough for asthmatics like Charlie White and Alex Shibutani.

24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yeah for Samantha! I feel like the higher scoring between her and Hicks will be sent to SA.

25. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

I wanted Alex Johnson to skate in Salt Lake. :fragile:

So they're going to give him Skate America, now, right? :mitchell:

26. A.H.Black

Dare I hint for a Shibutani "production" in Salt Lake. Probably not as they need to concentrate on the competition. It's just that the tail gate party right outside the door on Saturday will be very tempting.

27. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:rollin: Can't wait to see the full roster! Only 4 weeks til the Junior Grand Prix starts and 6 weeks til this first senior B in the Olympic season. :cheer:

I'm actually not surprised to see Evan on the roster. Regardless of where he may place, I'm sure he wants the ISU ranking points.

Maybe Carriere dropped out of Liberty to focus his concentration on getting this event?

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  28. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

nevermind. Great lineup!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  29. arcuel

arcuel New Member

It seems rather unlikely that they'll give him Skate America since he hasn't done any summer competitions :(

30. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I've heard that Alex Johnson has been off the ice recently due to an injury. I believe he was originally scheduled to skate in "An Evening on Ice" last weekend in L.A. but had to bow out.