2013 U.S. Sectionals (Eastern/Midwestern/Pacific Coast), November 8-13, 2012

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

EASTERNS (Nov. 8-12 in Hyannis, Massachusetts) event site: http://yarmouthiceclub.org/competitions/2013-easterns
    Official starting orders, Juvenile through Senior, were published online on November 3rd as a zip file of PDF documents, and I've typed them out by level on the Sectionals page of my blog (includes fall international & Regional qualifying scores for all singles skaters in the 3 Sectionals): http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/sectionals/

MIDWESTERNS (Nov. 9-13 in Strongsville, Ohio) event site: http://www.clevelandskating.com/events/2013-midwestern-sectional-figure-skating-championships

PACIFIC COASTS (Nov. 9-13 in Provo, Utah) event site: http://www.peaksfsc.org/pacific-coast-sectionals.html

IceNetwork plans to provide some live streaming to Season Pass subscribers - link to press release: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121019&content_id=39934680&vkey=ice_news
    (The press release mentions "simultaneous live coverage of all three sectional championships on Sunday, Nov. 11, and Monday, Nov. 12" - Mids and Pacs both end on Tuesday, Nov. 13.)

2. Sylvia

I've included all the skaters currently known to be competing at Sectionals who are listed in USFS' 2012-13 International Selection Pool and bolded the names of those who have competed internationally this fall (Senior or Junior Grand Prix or Senior B).

EASTERNS SENIOR:
    Samantha Cesario, Yasmin Siraj, Jenelle Herman;
    Stephen Carriere, Harrison Choate, Timothy Dolensky, Grant Hochstein;
    Zhang/Bartholomay (pairs);
    A. Cannuscio/McManus (dance).
    JUNIOR:
    Jay Yostanto, James Schetelich;
    Oltmanns/Santillan, Belt/Johnson, Goldberg/Dolkiewicz (pairs);
    Parsons/Parsons, McNamara/Carpenter, Pogrebinsky/Gudis, Miller/MacMillan (dance).

MIDWESTERNS SENIOR:
    Kiri Baga, Ashley Cain, Nina Jiang;
    Max Aaron, Brandon Mroz, Alexander Johnson;
    Scimeca/Knierim (pairs).
    JUNIOR:
    Barbie Long, Mariah Bell;
    Lukas Kaugars, Jordan Moeller, Troy Tomasello;
    Aaron/Settlage; de la Mora/Wilson (pairs);
    Hawayek/Baker, Moore/Klaber, Rosinski/Jaffe (dance).
    NOVICE:
    Zaitsev/Stevens (this JGP pair team is reportedly staying Novice this season).

PACIFIC COASTS SENIOR:
    Courtney Hicks, Vanessa Lam;
    Keegan Messing, Jonathan Cassar, Scott Dyer, Philip Warren.
    JUNIOR:
    Polina Edmunds, Gwendolyn Prescott;
    Nathan Chen, Shotaro Omori, Spencer Howe;
    Calalang/Sidhu, Pfund/Reiss (pairs);
    Heritage/Fast (dance).

ETA link to all currently known Senior and Junior skaters/teams with byes to Nationals: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...tionals-2013&p=3735782&viewfull=1#post3735782

Some of the competitive events look to be (2012 Nationals Sr./Jr./Nov. placements included below):

Senior Men at Pacifics: Messing S7, Dyer S10, Cassar S11, Warren J3, Sean Rabbitt, Andrew Gonzales
    Senior Men at Easterns: Carriere S6, Hochstein S12, Wesley Campbell S17, Dolensky J2, Choate J4
    Senior Ladies at Mids: Baga S10, Jiang S11, Cain J2, Becky Bereswill, Carly Gold, Chelsea Christopher...
    Senior Ladies at Easterns: Cesario, Joelle Forte S14, Siraj S15, Haley Dunne S16, Lauren Dinh...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Thank you for compiling all the scores, Sylvia. I might go to Hyannis on Sunday, as long as I get enough done at work the rest of the week. Anyone else planning on going?

4. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Eastern Sectionals starting orders and results are here- http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68387/results.html

Goldberg/Dolkiewicz are listed as WD from junior pairs so it looks like their season is over. :(

Very competitive senior men field with Choate, Raad, Aiken, Savary, Dolensky, Campbell, Hochstein, Carriere, and Chau. Yowza!

Senior pairs registered are Zhang/Bartholomay and Kayne/O'Shea.

Jay Yostanto is registered here in junior men.

5. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

F Y I. Only Sunday and Monday will be live for eastern sectionals on Icenetwork.

6. Sylvia

Press release about IceNetwork's partial live coverage: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=48638&type=media
    Midwestern and Pacific Coast Sectionals both end on Tuesday, Nov. 13.

7. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

IceNetwork is getting like the big TV networks...everything revolves around the East Coast. :mad:

That is the price we pay for living in paradise! :D

8. Sylvia

9. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to the Phams? Did they quit?

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

11. jlai

jlai Title-less

Icenetwork says they will be rotating between the three sectionals. I hope for tomorrow, they will show MW junior ladies, Eastern senior men, Midwestern senior men, Pacific Coast junior men and the senior ladies in the other two divisions. And if there's time conflict, darn it, simultaneous live coverage for fans who don't wanna miss Nathan, Kiri, Semantha, Vincent Zhou and all the others! Can't Icenetwork be more understanding of eager fans like me? :drama:

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  12. jlai

jlai Title-less

According to Pacific Coast's roster, Kevin Shum withdrew from Novice men competition. :( Now there're twelve men left. Does that mean there were originally 13 men or was one of the 12 a replacement for Kevin?

13. jlai

jlai Title-less

Midwestern jr ladies short going on now. eta: This is going to be a tough one to qualify out of with Long and Bell in the comp.

Amber Glenn just finished. I didn't see a mistake though I must say I'm only half awake and I missed the first 30 seconds or so. Score: 49.28.

ETA: Anjing Fu fell on the flip and did the 3 sal/2t (could use more height and ooomph)

eta: Avery Kurtz did a 3 lutz/2t and a flip. Hard to tell if they were rotated. My suspicion is they were a tad short. Not a good landing on 2A. 42.07

ETA: Barbie Long rocked the Pink Panther! Not sure if the 3 lutz/3t were rotated but this should lead by a mile . Score 51.99

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Sylvia

There were originally 12 Novice men registered and 11 competed in the SP yesterday. 6 are from SWP and all had advanced to Coasts due to the fill up rule. The other 5 elected not to skate at CP or NWP Regionals due to 4 or fewer registered. I was surprised to see Shum's name show up in the Coasts starting order since he hasn't competed all season. I'm hoping he will be back next season.

Happy there is live Sectionals skating to watch this year! :)

ETA: Barbie Long landed 3Lz+3T and 3F & 2A in second half and leads with 51.99. Mariah Bell is up now.

15. jlai

jlai Title-less

I thought Mariah doubled her combo but perhaps not? I Didn't see clearly. Score 51.31.

ETA: Thx, Sylvia!

eta: Ouch for Katia Spilband. Fell on lutz and doubled flip. Lively footwork though

16. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Mariah 3Lz+2T, 3F, 2A..looked strong and ready for Nationals!

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Toe loop looked like a double to me, but I think her lutz was a triple. I was worried about the speed difference coming across on livestream, but no issues with that so far.

ETA: was it my feed or was Katia Shpilband very nervy and stumbling around on ftwk and a few connecting moves?

18. reese

reese Well-Known Member

So did Katia Shpilband switch to SC of NY last year because she thought Easterns was easier only to switch back to Mids this yr?

19. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yes, that's correct. No clue how she got full credit for rotation on that lutz..I thought it was clearly UR in real time.

20. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

She fell on her right (landing) side, which usually, but not always, is a sign that a jump is fully rotated. I guess the judges thought it was. Her flip was a triple. But she did look very slow and seemed to slip a couple times. I was hoping she would make Nats this year. :(

Although her FS score at Regionals was higher than some of the girls ahead of her here, and she's only 2 points out of 4th, so I'm hoping she'll have a really good skate on Tuesday.

21. jlai

jlai Title-less

22. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Whee, Junior pairs from Easterns :cheer2:

23. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Thanks for all PBP and reports! :cheer2:

24. sk8indel

sk8indel Active Member

I guess Joy Jin (intermediate) withdrew from PACS? :/ I was really looking forward to seeing her. Last competition I saw her name in was 2009 junior nationals.

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Oltmanns/Santillian seemed a lot more 'together' than the other pairs, and even with her singling her axel and a hand down on the 3sal, they clearly skated with more attack and ice coverage -and better unison. Shaughnessy/Morgan have good potential, though as do Fujimoto/Barsi-Rhyne. Think it was a wise decision on both their parts to go for throw doubles and skate fairly clean.

26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Doherty/Norris skated cautiously after the fall on their throw 3sal, which is a shame since the program would look great with their patterns filled out. Couple of issues on their SBS spins and death spiral, as well.
    McDougal/Schatz start out giving each other pound, and then a big 2twist in the actual program. Already better ice coverage and edges in their ftwk. Went for SBS 3toes, she got hers not sure if he doubled or not. Throw 2sal and a secure, fast back press lift to one hand.
    Belt/Johnson and The Artist sndtk. Double twist, sbs 2flips (I think) and a throw 2sal. Small-ish pairs elements, but good flow and spins

27. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Savary WD? That's disappointing.

God, Sarah and Tonia couldn't be worse at this....

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forgot about this and am just tuning in. I'm trying to look on the bright side that it's nice to hear people talk about skating. But it's a little :yikes: to listen to.

29. jlai

jlai Title-less

Eastern sectionals senior men short.
    Choate stepped out of 3-3. He reminds me of Bradley, esp with his choice of music. score 64.08

30. Sylvia

Choate stepped out of his 3Lz+3T, then landed 3F and 2A in second half - lots of energy in his Latin medley SP!

I'm not surprised Emmanuel Savary WD - he competed very early in the season (May) and hasn't competed since AFAIK, reportedly due to injury. Hope he will recover fully for next season.