2013 U.S. Regional Championships (9/28-10/2; 10/5-9, 12-16, 19-23, 2012)

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Sep 19, 2012.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

So Lam won the Southwest Pacific ladies short program, no surprise there. Flip got a -goe.

doubleturn and (deleted member) like this.
  2. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

She had a slight stumble out of the flip but her skate was flawless otherwise.

doubleturn and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

Thanks, skatemomaz! Hope everything is running relatively smoothly at SWP. :)

Summary of SWP Regionals results from yesterday from looking at the results and detailed protocols...

Senior Ladies SP (top 6): Vanessa Lam 54.61 (3Lz+2Lo, 2A, 3F(e) -1.40), Ellie Kawamura 44.04 (3T+2T, 2A, 2Lz(e)), Carolyn-Ann Alba 40.02 (2T, 3S+2T didn't count because she repeated the 2T?, 2A), Anna Malkova 39.82 (3F<, 3T+2T, 2A), Ysabel Tran 37.54, Sophia Adams 37.28

Senior Men SP (5 competed & all will advance): Sean Rabbitt 63.64 (3Lz+3T, 3Lo, 2A), Philip Warren 62.86 (3T+3T, 3A fall, 3Lz), Jonathan Cassar 60.57 (3Lz+3T<<, 2A, 3Lo), Scott Dyer 54.14, Andrew Gonzales 51.32

11-year-old Vincent Zhou won Junior Men, landing 7 triples in his "Casablanca" FS (133.94, 199.14 total): 3S, 3Lz, 2A, 3Lo, 3F, 2A+2T, 3F+2T+2Lo, 3Lz+3T.
    Nix Phengsy was credited with landing 7 triples, some flawed, through 3Lz (100.91 FS, 153.17 total) for 2nd. 3rd-5th in Jr. Men (all advance): Patrick Leahy 139.06, Spencer Howe 128.27, Timothy Boore 114.31.

Daniel Samohin won Novice Men, landing 5 triples including 2 3Lz (96.81 FS, ETA: 145.77 total so he looks like another National contendor this year - his older brother has competed at recent Russian Nationals in Sr. men).
    Top 6 advance to Pacific Coasts due to the Fill-Up rule: Samohin, Paolo Borromeo, Sahmaro Rockhold, Harrison Wong, Darian Weiss, David Kent.

Junior Ladies SP (top 5): Amanda Gelb 45.14 (3T+2T, 2F, 2A), Taylor Sirset 39.93, Lauren Campbell 39.75, Brenda Ji 39.74, Dyllan McIntee 39.03

Novice Ladies SP (top 6): Tyler Pierce 45.08 (3Lz -0.88, 3Lo+2T, 2A), Elizabeth Nguyen 40.00 (1Lz, 3S+2T, 2A), Cheyenne Taylor 36.80, Karen Zhou 35.73, Heidi Han 34.78, Alyssa Hightchew 33.03

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. doubleturn

doubleturn Rinkside on my iPhone

Thank you jlai, skatemomaz, Sylvia and everyone else for reports of what is happening elsewhere.

5. Sylvia

It didn't shade because the tag to use at the beginning is

6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Just to comment on the wording above - I hope everyone understands that Sylvia did not intend to link Liza with a skater focused on unfairness. Sylvia just used Liza as an example of how the luck of the draw operates in the system. I think all skaters and their coaches accept that they operate within a system that isn't "weighted" nationally but is acceptable and accepted because the risk is random.

7. Jozet

Jozet Well-Known Member

We've been to one or two competitions with large Juv groups, and the way final rounds were handled was that the top 2 competitors in each qualifying group went to finals, and after that, the next ____ number of skaters across all groups moved on to finals according to scores. Now, I know this raises another issue of different - and so differing - judging panels, etc. but isn't the assumption that judges are using the same criteria?

I mean, I supposed the "not fair" argument could be made, but it's being made anyway. I'm sure I'm missing something here, but skaters are already pretty aware that one group is "tougher" than another. Kids who medal in "not as tough" groups sorta seem to get it very realistically that in another group, they wouldn't have done as well.

ETA: But yes, ultimately the goal for really competitive skaters is to gain the skills to compete well in almost any group.

ETA again: And I agree...by the time kids are "seasoned" Juv skaters and above, they know that the scoring is what it is. No one is really saying, "It's not fair!" (Or, if they are, they are getting dragged out of the rink until their tantrum is over. ;-) ) Competitive skating is not for the easily bruised in any way, and these kids are all fairly (eventually) stoic and sportsmanlike no matter the result. Skaters make for good philosophers. :)

8. Sylvia

You are correct, and I had hoped to make clear in my post that I wasn't singling out Liza K. in any negative way, which why I wrote: "But this [situation] has happened to many skaters before her, ..."

9. twirlygirlsmom

twirlygirlsmom New Member

I'm thinking USFS wouldn't go for that, but being that Juveniles can stay Juv for such a long time, and often, some of the better juvs are second and even third year at the level, why not go by the previous year's regional score just like they do with Intermediate and above? Some strong juvs may not be hold backs from the previous season, but I think many are and it would at least slightly even out the groups. It's no perfect science for sure, but it's better than nothing.

It would be interesting, just for argument's sake, to try and seed this year's Juvs from SWP based on those who were Juv last year...and see how the groups would have been distributed.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Kendall Wycoff started out very well, with a 2axel and 3sal 2toe that lopled around, but lost a little steam towards the end.

11. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Active Member

What happened to Karen Chen who won last year's Novice at Nationals?

Junior Ladies SP (top 5): Amanda Gelb 45.14 (3T+2T, 2F, 2A), Taylor Sirset 39.93, Lauren Campbell 39.75, Brenda Ji 39.74, Dyllan McIntee 39.03

Novice Ladies SP (top 6): Tyler Pierce 45.08 (3Lz -0.88, 3Lo+2T, 2A), Elizabeth Nguyen 40.00 (1Lz, 3S+2T, 2A), Cheyenne Taylor 36.80, Karen Zhou 35.73, Heidi Han 34.78, Alyssa Hightchew 33.03[/QUOTE]

12. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Active Member

13. doubleturn

NE Senior Ladies' FS

1st flight:
    Gabrielle Lussi: 2 jumps in the beginning were slightly not there. Last jump had turnout on landing. Layback spin travelled somewhat. Overall good job.
    Piper DeLo: Good spins. Some of the jumps were partially MIA. Did well.
    Kendall Wyckoff: Much better job today on the jumps. Spins were centered. Well done.
    Emily Catenzaro: Spins travelled just a little. Shame about the one fall marring what was an otherwise nice program.
    Meaghan Monaghan: Best speed and power of the group.

14. Sylvia

Karen Chen competes out of Central Pacifics (next week).

Thanks, ioana and doubleturn, for posting NE Senior Ladies FS comments! :respec:

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I really like some of the difficult variations on double jumps we see now. Kyoko Yana started out with a 2loop where she never pulled in her arms. 2axel was two footed, but looked around to me. And a BI spiral into a back arching move that was v cool. Best sustained speed so far.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Jozet

Jozet Well-Known Member

Does anyone know whether there are "mini recognitions" (I forget what they are called) being given out at Regionals this year? I think last year was for high spin score and any +2 GOE. Or is that up to each Region?

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Danielle Shepard started out with a 3toe 2toe, but fell on a 2axel, singled another one and might have ur'ed her second triple toe. Still a very good effort after a long time away from competitions.

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  18. doubleturn

NE Senior Ladies' FS

Kyoko Yano (aka Local Girl): Very nice spiral positions. Shame about the 1 fugly landing on a jump late in the program.
    Chantine Akiyama: Maintained power throughout. Much better job than the SP.
    Rachel Zeppi: Spins well centered. Last spin might not count if it was recentered. Based upon the scores, she got credit for the spin.
    Danielle Shepard: Shame about the 1 fall marring what was an otherwise nice program.
    Zoe Orenstein: Tinkly piano music. May have ended just after the music.
    Sena Spinella: Very nice spins. Performs to the music.

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  19. doubleturn

They are being given out at NE at least.

20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Last group warming up. Jenelle Herman gets nice height on all her flying
    Spin entrances. Synchronized laybacks from 3 skaters to end

21. Sylvia

There's still a page for it in the Athletes section of the the USFS site so I assume it's continuing: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=506

ETA:
    Thanks for the confirmation about NE, doubleturn!

SWP Regional Juv. Girls 1-4 to Coasts: A Nakahari 49.17, L Meisel 48.85, E Ales 48.51, K Calhoun 48.17 (3 of the top 4 are from qual. Group D).
    5-6: M Abad 48.06, G Kokotakis 47.61

22. Jozet

Jozet Well-Known Member

Thanks!

And thanks, Sylvia!

23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

2 triple lutzes, 3toe 2toe, 3sal, two 2axels -one as 3 jump combo from Yasmin. Fell Out of a triple toe but great spins and ftwk. She's back!

24. Sylvia

Good for Yasmin Siraj! 101.85 is her highest FS score season of the season so far, AFAIK.

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Mari Kalina did two Axels and a 3sal (maybe ur, but not sure). Great energetic ftwk to Pirates of the Carribran. Buchanan had a lovely skate, maybe 3flip and 3 sal were close, but nice ice coverage.

26. Sylvia

I have a lot of respect for the Senior ladies who are balancing college studies with training for/competing at Regionals. For example, I know Maria Kalina (who used to compete out of UGL from Minnesota) just started her freshman year at Harvard, Kendall Wyckoff is at Middlebury College in VT full-time, Chantine Akiyama (originally from L.A.) is at M.I.T., and I believe Aimee Buchanan is also in college right now.

ETA that Danielle Shepard, a former JGP competitor, may have graduated from college this year (not sure) and competed over the summer, including at Collegiate Nationals, after several years away from the competitive scene.

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Emily McNally has great jumps, but needs some work when it comes to the artistic side and more flattering spin positions. Huge double axels and fast rotation on easier triples, even if rotation was questionable on a few. Jenelle Herman was more tentative than in the short, but still went for 3 or 4 triPles.

28. doubleturn

NE Senior Ladies

Final flight:
    Yasmin Siraj: 1 slightly fugly landing on a jump near the end. Otherwise excellent job. Strongly into first.
    Maria Kalina: Nice speed. I know I've heard this music before, just can't place it right now.
    Aimee Buchanan: Very nice spins that did not travel.
    Emily McNally: Cool tuxedo-looking costume. A couple of slightly fugly jump landings. 1 wierd-ending spin. 4th with 2 skaters to go. Might be good enough to get her to Sectionals. Don't know.
    Jenelle Herman: Finished slightly after the music I think. Jumps OK.
    Alexandria Shaughnessy: Flattering dress on her (salmon pink). Shame about the one fall. Rest of the jumps looked OK.

29. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about Lauren Dinh? I heard she switched regions (UGL or EGL) and coaches (now training with Yuka Sato and Jason Dungen), but I don't see her name on any of the results/roster lists for UGL, EGL, or SW (her old region) so I was just wondering if she's injured or still even competing?

Also the roster isn't published for CP regionals, but I didn't see Amanda Dobbs' name on the list for any of the practice ice sessions and she isn't listed on the roster for SW regionals either so I guess she's not competing this season?

And finally someone probably already answered this earlier but does Cesario have to compete at North Atlantics because she withdrew from the JGP in Germany, or does she still get a buy to Easterns? I'm hoping she gets a bye so she has time to rest and avoid getting seriously injured again!!

30. Sylvia