2013 U.S. Regional Championships (9/28-10/2; 10/5-9, 12-16, 19-23, 2012)

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Sep 19, 2012.

1. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Amanda was so sick. It was great she did so well under the circumstances.

2. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Thanks, Sylvia.

Yes, that "fill-up rule" is comfusing to me -
    I thought because of that rule, all SWP senior men will go to Sectionals,
    but they still have to skate at Regionals, then.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

4. jlai

jlai Title-less

5. Sylvia

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  6. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

Unimportant side note but funny. The announcer today at EGL Regionals for the Novice Ladies qualifying rounds had a different style announcing the scores. She acted as if she was talking to the skater. "Mary Smith your score is 43.12. You are in 4th place". Maybe you had to be there, but it struck me funny.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  7. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I see that Chelsea Christopher (EGL senior ladies) has a 1.00 deduction for "costume failure" in her SP. That sounds unfortunate :shuffle:

8. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Does that mean a piece fell off and hit the ice?

9. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Probably, I think that's the only thing that was specified in the definition of "costume failure" (which is taken by the referee). Anything else relating to the costume would probably fall under "costume/prop violation," which is taken by the referee and each of the judges (with points deducted if the majority of all of them take the deduction).

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/Singles_Pairs - Deductions.pdf

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Very nice comeback score for Lauren Dinh in the NA Senior Ladies SP (52.60)!

She currently leads while Joelle Forte is second (49.36), Jordan Bauth is third (47.51), Katie McBeath is fourth (45.01), and Courtney Taylor is fifth (42.50).

NA Novice Ladies Advancing to Eastern Sectionals:

1 Dalia Rivkin, North Jersey FSC - 109.22
    2 Selin Kang, Ice House Of New Jersey FSC - 106.14
    3 Brianna Brazee, SC of New York - 100.03
    4 Kirstyn Nanista, Ice House Of New Jersey FSC - 94.12

Nanista was in 9th after the short, so good for her for laying it all on the line and pulling up after her on and off injuries these past few seasons!

NA Junior Ladies Advancing to Eastern Sectionals:

1 Olivia Serafini, SC of New York - 126.13
    2 Adrianna Gonera, SC of New York - 115.80
    3 Sydney Jones, SC of New York - 111.59
    4 Eve Agler, SC of New York - 106.62

11. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Chelsea Christopher landed 5 clean triples (including two 3Lz) in her 95.83 point FS at Eastern Great Lakes senior ladies! She could be a darkhorse contender to make Nationals this year! She also landed a 3T<+2T combo, so technically she's attempting 6 triples.

12. Sylvia

Becky Bereswill won EGL Senior Ladies -- in a close contest over Chelsea Christopher (145.75 to 142.37) -- with her highest FS score (97.68) of the season. She attempted 7 triples and was credited with rotating 5, including a 3F and a 3T+half loop+3S combo.

ETA: According to the North Atlantic Senior Ladies SP detailed protocol, the triples attempted/landed by the top 4 were: Lauren Dinh (52.60) 3Lz+2T & 3F, Joelle Forte (49.36) 3Lz+2T & 3S, Jordan Bauth (47.51) 3S+2T & 3Lo<, Katie McBeath (45.01) 3F & 3Lo+2T. Kristiene Gong did end up withdrawing, due to injury I heard.

Matej Silecky (53.95) landed a 3A and is leading the NA Junior Men after the SP with James Schetelich in 2nd (52.93) and Jimmy Ma (48.92) 3rd. Emmy Ma (95.71), the younger sister of Jimmy, won NA Intermediate Ladies, and Annabelle Morozov (42.75) won NA Juvenile Girls.

Qualifiers to Sectionals through today's events: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/sectionals/

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  13. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I like Chelsea Christopher. She's a gutsy skater who isn't afraid to go for the hard triples. Wish her luck this year.

14. jlai

jlai Title-less

Chelsea attempted similar content last year as I recall but got downgraded big time. Glad to see her getting decent scores this time.

15. lamarenee

lamarenee Active Member

Jimmy Ma had a great free skate at North Atlantics today and pulled up from 3rd to win Junior Men.

16. Sylvia

Start orders are up for the 3 Regionals this week.

New England Regional: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68381/results.html
    Bye to Eastern Sectional in Sr.: Stephen Carriere (won Easterns last year), Harrison Choate (2nd JGP).
    Yasmin Siraj won Easterns last year but has elected to compete - top 5 Sr. ladies will advance to Easterns (rule 2472).

Upper Great Lakes Regional: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68383/results.html
    ETA that Jason Brown is electing to skate Sr. Men SP & FS exhibitions on Saturday. Other current JGP competitors at UGL are Kiri Baga (Sr. Ladies) and Barbie Long (Jr. Ladies).

Southwest Pacific Regional: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68382/results.html
    Bye to Pacific Coast Sectional: Courtney Hicks in Sr. (2nd JGP), Shotaro Omori in Jr. (2nd JGP).
    Senior Men's event (Mon.-Tue.): Jonathan Cassar, Scott Dyer, Andrew Gonzales, Sean Rabbitt, Philip Warren - all 5 will advance to Pacific Coast Sectionals due to the fill-up rule.
    Vanessa Lam (Sr. Ladies) is a current season JGP competitor at SWP.
    Among those competing Junior are 2012 Novice Men's champ Vincent Zhou and Novice bronze medalists Spencer Howe and Amanda Gelb.

I've compiled links for the 9 Regionals as well as the Top Ten Regional scores for the higher level ladies and men here: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/regionals/

Byes through this week's Regionals and Sectionals next month to Nationals: Gracie Gold (UGL), Mirai Nagasu, Leah Keiser, Richard Dornbush (all SWP).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  17. n*ice mom

n*ice mom New Member

When did Courtney Hicks get a bye? Keiser has a bye and doesn't show up on the start orders, but Hicks shows up as WD.

18. Sylvia

Hicks' bye was first mentioned on 9/26 in this thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3695087&postcount=23
    Shotaro Omori (competing his 2nd JGP in Germany this week) is also listed as WD in SWP Jr. Men.

Keiser's bye was due to her winning Pacific Coast Sectional Sr. Ladies last year.

19. mgobluegirl

What happens if Siraj does not finish in the top 4? Does she still advance to Easterns?

20. n*ice mom

n*ice mom New Member

OK. Got it.... plus I just saw your post in the other thread. I don't remember USFS being so generous in the past with giving byes through Regionals unless the JGPs were within 7-10 days. Hicks competed on the 29th and Senior Ladies isn't until the 15th.

21. Sylvia

Relevant section of the USFS rulebook:
    The chair of the Competitions Committee has the authority to grant byes to singles skaters who have received 2 JGP assignments regardless of their respective Regionals dates -- this happened a few years ago and seems to be in effect this year for Hicks, and I assume, Angela Wang (CP) as well.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  22. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Considering only 2 skaters in the competition besides Yasmin have broken 70 points so far this season, it would take a pretty severe meltdown for Yasmin not to make top 4. Let's hope that doesn't happen! Looking forward to seeing if any of Danielle Shepard, Carolyn Alba, Katarina Kulgeyko, or Ellie Kawamura can regain some of their former glory this weekend! :cheer:

23. doubleturn

doubleturn Rinkside on my iPhone

FYI for anyone coming to New England regionals: walk past the sign saying "skaters only". Instead of turning right to go into the arena, turn left to go into the tent. The admissions cashier is right inside the tent. Once you have your admission wristband, then you can enter the rink. Yes, they are checking for credentials or wristbands at the door.

24. mgobluegirl

Jason Brown attempted a 3A in both programs in his exhibition skates at UGL regionals. It was downgraded in the short and UR in the long, but no falls. I think it's great he's getting it out there in competition more.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Good for him, hopefully it's going to come together.

PCS-wise, he's one of the best skaters in the world.

26. doubleturn

Sr. Men's SP @ NE Regionals (no teknik since icenetwork has video):

Wesley Campbell: music was BOLERO! Spins centered, decent flow. 1 semi-fugly jump at
    the start. Overall not bad. Bolero just works better as FS music IMHO for singles.

Brad V.: Slightly more fugly on the jump landings, but better centered spins. Music is some type of piano arrangement, which doesn't invite comparisons. The fugliness on the landings explains why he is in 2nd place.

27. Sylvia

Thank you, doubleturn! Wesley Campbell scored 61.19 (3Lz fall, 3F+3T<, 2A) and Brad Vigorito 55.68 (3F, 3Lo+2T, 2A).

Please share more highlights/impressions from NE Regionals if you get a chance! :)

Jason Brown scored 214.54 total in his UGL SP & FS exhibitions yesterday. He landed 7 triples + 3A< in his UGL Senior Men's FS (149.09) and 3A<<, 3Lz+3T, 3F in his SP (65.45).

28. doubleturn

Will do. Probably just seniors and juniors only, as they are the only ones in NE that have some known skaters. Though if there is a juvenile girl who has the skate of her life, then maybe her also. :)

29. Sylvia

A NE Juvenile girl named Emilee Zhang landed 2 clean 2A in her Group A qualifying round yesterday and scored an impressive 48.16, one of the highest Juv. scores of the season! She's coached by Vladimir Petrenko (Viktor's younger brother), whose son Daniel won the Novice Men's SP earlier today (3S+2T, 2A, 2F).

30. doubleturn

Juv. Girls scheduled to start at 3:15pm. Emilee (whom I missed seeing yesterday qualify) is 7th in the skate order. Should have something about her by 4pm or so.

OT, but there was a Maxim Naumov who won Juv. boys yesterday. Vadim's (sp?) son?