2013 U.S. Club Competition info, news, results, general discussion, etc.

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Jun 1, 2013.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reports!!! I love hearing about the FD's. :)

2. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I should have known. Every time I see a dance program that makes me want to reach inside my skull and scratch my jiggly brain, there's a good chance Mr. Dickson is responsible for it.

In the step sequence, I am pretty sure I saw the couple do different steps at the same time. For example she'd do a one foot turn while he was doing a two foot turn, but they are synchronized. Don't know about you but I had never seen anything like it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  3. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Does anybody know how the pairs did at Summer Chiller today? In particular, I'd like to know how Lawrence/Sweigers did but I'd love to hear any and all impressions and if there's videos or scores that would be a bonus! :)

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Fretting that Worlds is over...

Summer Chiller Senior Pairs SP results from Saturday: Kayne/O'Shea 52.37, Zhang/Bartholomay 52.08 (WD Lawrence/Swiegers CAN, Kemp/King GBR)
    All Saturday results for Summer Chiller: http://www.icejudge.com/documents/competitions/copfsc/2013/results/results-table.htm (Sunday's results still to come and perhaps detailed protocols?)

ETA:

At the SoCal Interclub competition in Paramount, CA last night, Karen Chen reportedly landed 3Lz+3T with + GOE & scored 61.34 in the Jr Ladies SP.

Chesapeake Open Novice-Senior free dance result sheets have been added here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151509387612939.1073741825.47362597938&type=1

Chesapeake Open Senior Ladies FS top 2: Isadora Williams (Brazil) 99.22, Maria Yang 91.77 (reportedly landed clean 3F+3Lo; won SP 50.31). I'll post other "unofficial" top singles scores below Senior soon.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  5. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Thanks Sylvia, you're awesome! Sorry to hear Paige and Rudi withdrew. I'm dying to know what their new programs are. I love those two!

6. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Is Karen Chen skating junior this year? JGP assignment?

7. Sylvia

1) Yes, AFAIK. 2) Hope so! :) (Chen is 13 now and old enough for the JGP.)

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Wow, amazing score there for Karen. I'm so excited to see her on the international circuit this fall.

9. Sylvia

My compilation of Chesapeake Open top singles scores that have been passed along to me, plus other hearsay notes from this weekend's competitions: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2013/06/23/2013-chesapeake-open-notes-from-other-competitions/

Thanks! My hearsay info is that Miller reportedly landed 3Lz+2T and 3Lo in her SP (51.19) and 5 triples in her Senior FS (109.61).
    ETA that Miller's new programs are choreographed by Daniil Barantsev: "Firebird" by Stravinsky (SP) & "Primavera" by Ludovico Einaudi (FS) - as posted in her blog: http://hannahmiller1.wordpress.com

Vincent Zhou, age 12, competed in the SoCal Interclub Senior Men SP last night and reportedly scored ~ 72! (don’t yet know if he has tested up or plans to test up to Senior).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  10. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

^^ I'm guessing Vincent was just skating up to compete against someone, rather than do an exhibition at junior? Do you know if the pairs have competed yet at Interclub?

11. Sylvia

I'm still waiting patiently for official results to be published for SoCal Interclub. In the meantime, here's a video from the competition that was originally posted in the U.S. Ladies thread in the Trash Can:
    All IJS results and detailed protocols are published for Chesapeake Open :): http://baltimorefigureskatingclub.com/?page_id=44

12. Sylvia

13. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the Skate Detroit schedule ;)

14. fan

fan Well-Known Member

does anyone have results from the recent lake placid free skating competition?

15. oliver

oliver Member

Where we be able to find information about who's competing at Liberty, schedule, etc?

16. Sylvia

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  17. Sylvia

Competitions this weekend with notable entries (no guarantee they will all show up) include:

Reportedly Gracie Gold will compete her new "Sleeping Beauty" FS on Saturday and Lindsay Davis/Rockne Brubaker are scheduled to show their programs (one or both?) in exhibition at Skate Milwaukee: http://www.wisconsinfsc.org/skateMilwaukee.aspx

Josh Farris, Agnes Zawadzki, Angela Wang, Mariah Bell (SP only?), and Lukas Kaugars are scheduled to compete their Senior program(s) at the Vail Invitational on Friday-Saturday: http://skateclubvail.com/
    Max Aaron is listed as well, but I haven't heard for certain if he plans to compete in Vail and don't want to get people's hopes up.

Courtney Hicks (last week's IN article "says she is definitely going to skate her short program but hasn't decided whether to do her free"), Leah Keiser, Shotaro Omori, Vincent Zhou, Brendan Kerry (AUS) and Calalang/Sidhu are registered to compete Senior at L.A. Open: http://lafsc.org/2013/07/02/2013-la-open-championships-schedule-up/
    Please be aware that admission fees will be charged this year (click on the link for more info).
    ETA that the U.S. ISP skaters registered in Junior are Nathan Chen, Spencer Howe, Daniel Samohin (men); Karen Chen, Tyler Pierce, Amy Lin, Elizabeth Nguyen (ladies); Liu/Perini (pairs), plus Maisy Ma (HKG). Also, Daniel Samohin's older brother, Stanislav, is listed in Senior Men - he competed at a few Russian Nationals in Senior a few years ago.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  18. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sylvia. You are the best :)

19. Sylvia

I found a report about Davis/Brubaker's SP at Skate Milwaukee yesterday posted at Golden Skate: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?41216-Skate-Milwaukee&p=751020&viewfull=1#post751020
    The person went on to say "I did not recognize the specific music but it was latin/tango-ish. They had very good unison, I thought. Their choreography went with the music."

ETA: I heard D/B did not skate their FS today (they reportedly had a monitoring session last night and likely received feedback on their FS there).

The competition and practice schedules for the 2013 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships, July 31-August 3, are up: http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/icedance.php

Ice-Dance.com's handy combined version of schedule: http://lpidc.ice-dance.com/docs/LP2013MasterSchedule712.pdf

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  20. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Carly Gold just tweeted that Gracie's free skate score was higher than Carly's total score-considering that Carly won the SP, Gracie's score must have been very respectable.

21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I saw Gracie's LP today. She was anxious, and while she did a flawless 3z3t in the warmup, and at least 2 other flawless, epic 3z's in the warmup, she had a bit of a lean with a pause on the landing of her opening 3z. She still managed a very nice 3t on the end of the lutz, though, so good for her.

Her jump layout was...3z3t, 3sal, 3loop (she hung in the air FOREVER on this, it may have been doubled today), then 2a, ina into 2z, 2(?)a2t (wonky on the axel), 2f2t(? not sure about the combo) After the opening section she obviously backed off the jumps. I'm not 100% sure of the order of the last 4 jumping passes. Also, she may have wanted to do the 2a3t combo where the first 2a is, or perhaps she was just ahead of the music. It looks like she's supposed to end that jumping pass on a big clash of the cymbals :)

I really loved the music cuts and the program as a whole!!! There is a LOT going on in this program, transitions wise, and she handled those very well, although she did seem to rush through the inside spread eagle at the end. I really liked the ending, although today she seemed to end up too close to the boards. There was a part after the step sequence where I thought she didn't make it work, but 85% of the program she pulled off very well. It is a lot more lyrical than last year's effort, but it's not a ridiculously insipid pwetty pwincess program. They let her power shine through. The dress....well, it's pink. But she handles the choreography very well and it doesn't look unnatural on her for the vast majority of the program. She's got parts she can improve on, to be sure, but this is a very good vehicle for her, imo. There is just one little arm gesture at the very beginning that doesn't fit AT ALL and has to go. You'll know it when you see it.

Her flying spin is a 1 foot combo instead of flying camel this year. Her combo spin had 2 variations on the forward sit, but she only showed one in the actual competition, iirc. She ends the change foot combo with a very nice simple layback (yeah!!!). The new variation was like a shoot the duck with a twist position. It looked interesting enough, without being a struggle for her. Her final spin is a layback/beilman. All spins are very well choreographed to the music.

All in all, the program seemed to take 2 minutes. She's in great shape and covers a ton of ice. She gains speed effortlessly, it's remarkable to watch. And watching her jump live, I don't know how to describe them - she simultaneously shows effortless power and ...daintiness... for lack of a better word. It's all so clean and effortless. She doesn't shock with her height, but she just stays airborne for so long. She looked very focused and a bit anxious today, but she reacted very well when things went a bit south here and there (the 1st lutz and the 2nd axel). She kept her warm up jacket on a long time, but it is always chilly in this arena. Oh - and she cut her hand again, I think on a catchfoot spin. She seemed to enjoy showing her sister, who was waiting to take the ice when Gracie came off. Hopefully she will gain confidence as the year goes on.

There were some big guns on the judging panel. I think I heard Gale Tanger's name and another nationals caliber judge who's name I forget. David Santee was the caller.

I missed the first 2 skaters of the 2nd group, but was able to see everyone else. For the most part, it seems that choroegraphers have adjusted to COP and the tweaks to COP have helped immensely. I saw some very nice choreography today!

ETA: Gracie had a 113 something for her FS. Given all the doubles, it seems a bit high. But it's a very good program in every respect, so I'm guessing the PCS is high.

22. Sylvia

Thanks for sharing such a detailed report, Coco! :) Would you like to cross-post your impressions of Gracie Gold's FS debut in the U.S. Ladies thread? ETA: I just saw that you did, thanks!

Gracie scored 113.96 (54.25 TES/60.71 PCS -1 for time deduction?) in her Skate Milwaukee FS debut today, landing 4 triples (was told 3Lz+3T, 3S, 3Lo, 2A) and I heard she focused on her choreography in the second half and watered down her remaining jumps (2F, 2Lz, 1A+2T).

23. Sylvia

Courtney Hicks debuted her Senior SP at LA Open yesterday to the Soul Surfer soundtrack (click on the article link in this post for more info on her programs). She tweeted this 15-second video clip that includes her big 3F+3T combo (she reportedly landed 3Lz, fell on 2A & scored 58 points for 1st place): http://instagram.com/p/butG9MF9g9/

ETA: I will have more info/results from LA Open hopefully by later today. The top 3 finishers in Junior Ladies were Karen Chen, Elizabeth Nguyen, and Maisy Ma (HKG). Tyler Pierce and Amy Lin did not compete.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  24. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Are there any reports from Vail Invitational (maybe I missed them!)?

25. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Good to see the Gracie seems to be paying more attention to the choreography and not just her jumps. Now the key is landing those jumps while still performing her programs.

26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Harrison Choate just tweeted that Nathan Chen did 6 triples in the last 90 seconds of his FS at the LA Open. Hope it hits Youtube!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Wow. The stamina of youth.

28. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Shotaro Omori tweeted:

https://twitter.com/sho_om/status/356533826194915328

So looks like he and Leah won the senior events at LA Open. :)

29. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sylvia. I just found your post in TTC and came here to see further reports. Happy to know you're planning to post further report later today. I love her spins as much as her 3-3. I'm looking forward to hearing on the Junior Ladies, too. Hope Karen Chen did well.

:cheer:

30. misskarne

misskarne #408

I don't think you missed them; I think there haven't been any!