2013 Nationals in Omaha to include Juvenile and Intermediate Nationals, too

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by barbk, Aug 11, 2011.

1. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I live about 25 minutes north of Omaha, julianaqtpi. I lived in Omaha for six years. And I've lived in the state since I was 21 mths old. :)

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

There won't be as many Juvenile/Intermediate skaters competing in Omaha as in current and past Junior Nationals (40+ in ladies & men with qualifying rounds) -- it will be 12 total in each discipline (top 4 will qualify from each Sectional, like for the Novice-Senior singles skaters/teams now).

3. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Wow, no posts here in awhile! My mom said that they've hired some guy to work on organizing the event full time, but this guy is a jerk who doesn't know much, if anything, about figure skating. Pathetic, huh?

This doesn't belong in this category, but... Since there are a few of you who live near Omaha, I thought I'd just give ya a heads up- We have three shows between now and Sunday, if you want to come see any of them! Tomorrow (Thursday) at 6pm at Motto McLean ice arena, Saturday at 3pm at the ConAgra rink, and Sunday at 3pm at the ConAgra rink, same show Saturday and Sunday. Free admission to all of them!

4. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

A fellow skating friend posed a question that I find fascinating. She's wondering if Warren Buffett either directly or indirectly had some role/influence in terms of Omaha, NEB landing 2013 Nationals? Something to ponder but a very interesting hypothesis. :confused:

5. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Is Warren Buffett a figure skating fan? :lol: If so, maybe he'd be willing to pay an over-the-air TV network to broadcast Worlds?

Seriously, I doubt the USFSA cares about Warren Buffett or vice versa. Omaha got Nats b/c 1) they bid, and 2) they are a mid-size market with a fairly new/modern arena and the requisite number of hotel rooms within a certain radius of the arena.

6. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Anyone from Omaha heard if they will be selling tickets in San Jose?

Not sure about this one, but if they let me pick my seat and avoid the fees...they just might get some $$$. :)

7. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to Omaha-- my second mom lives there, and I can't wait to take a ride in the death banana. Plus-- there is this store chock full of whorewear that I must visit.

8. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Nope, he had no role in it. I doubt he even knew about it until the press release about it to the general public.

And we've had the Olympic Swim Trials once already, and are having them again this summer :)D), so they know we can get a good turnout of volunteers.

I have no clue, but I haven't heard anything about on-site ticket sales. I would think they'd have some available, but who knows. My mom is going, leaving here on Tuesday morning, the 24th, and staying for the rest of the competition.

9. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

10. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Not sure that having Jr. Nationals and Nationals at the same time is going to be a good thing. USFS is already having trouble finding venues. Making the event larger will only make finding a venue harder. Plus, they will likely make less money than they do now. Jr. nationals doesn't bring in a lot of money. They will need more judges for a longer period of time - that means more $$ for accommodations and food. At least by splitting it up, two places share the expense.

11. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

12. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

It's been pretty well researched by the "powers that be" on committees before the USFS Governing Council voted on it last May. This is a solution to help save money, time, and resources -- as well as better prepare athletes for the reality of the Novice-Senior levels qualifying structure.

It won't be any harder to find a venue with this new addition of Juv/Int. It will be easier than finding a club/council of clubs to take on Junior Nationals, which is just as much work (or more) than Regionals and Sectionals -- and isn't always as profitable (particularly compared to Regionals). :) You can dig up financial info in the bid packets on the USFS website. The overall number of club members are way down compared to 10-15 years ago when Junior Nationals was created -- something had to change. There are now VERY FEW clubs (or councils comprised of multiple clubs) with both the facility, location, and volunteer force to support our 9 Regionals, 3 Sectionals, Junior Nationals, Sr. Nationals.

The expectation is that the Juvenile / Intermediate events (formally used in Junior Nationals) will be scheduled during the "down"/"slow" time of the current nationals -- likely the Thursday-Sunday at the Champions end of the event. In some instances, the events may be held at the official practice facility, which has a schedule that winds down at the end of nationals week anyway, so it's a great way to fill dead ice at the official practice facility -- as well probably adding about 40% more money from US Figure Skating for the 40% more athletes added to "big" U.S. Nationals.

Keep in mind that Juvenile / Intermediate events will be MUCH smaller -- including only the top 4 from each of the 3 sections (cutting it down to 12 skaters at nationals, instead of approximately 40 at nationals in each event).

They won't necessarily need more judges. They already have plenty of the judges there, and for those officials who serve only on dance or pairs panels it will actually make nationals a better use of their time and expense. If additional officials are needed, it will be few, and probably only for three days of expense.

For the coaches (and the parents that pay their fees) it's actually much easier, since many (maybe close to a majority) of Junior Nationals coaches also have students at "big" Nationals. This saves the coaches an additional week away from their training rinks, and allows skater's families to save significant money on travel expenses since there may be more students of that coach competing there that week. This also allows the Juvenile/Intermediate skaters a chance to compete in January (instead of December) -- which is better for those still in traditional school (and some virtual programs), and for those parents who have limited vacation days to travel each year. These factors in particular played a big part in the rationale behind this decision.

If you'd like for me to copy/paste all of the rationale (I think it was a few pages in length) from the Governing Council packet (it's publicly available) -- I'll be more than happy to do so this weekend. It goes much more in depth on the pros/cons and rationale behind this decision. Just ask! :) Or perhaps Sylvia has a link to a thread on this topic that was already discussed at length this spring? I imagine it has. ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Carolla5501

Actually I kind of like the idea. Not sure I can make it for the entire week, but I would like to see these two groups and it's not an event I would have traveled for otherwise :)

14. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

....which is why Southwestern Regionals is either in Colorado (usually CO Springs, but sometimes Denver or Ft. Collins) or the Dallas area in general. They're the ones with the large clubs and the facilities to support it. We could possibly pull it off here in Omaha, but we'd be pulling in our friends from Kansas City, St Joseph, Ames, Des Moines, etc. to help volunteer. And it'd still be really hard. And we'd have to use the Century Link Center (formerly the Qwest Center, for those who haven't heard) or the Civic Auditorium. Our only multi-surface rink here doesn't have a wall between the surfaces, so we've had hockey games with annoying buzzers sounding on the other rink while competitions are going on..... Yeah so (unless this new rink that's being built currently is going to have two surfaces, which I think is the plan....) we couldn't do it......

15. stejoho40

stejoho40 Active Member

Does anyone know the schedule or location for the juvenile/intermediate events?

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It would be pretty generous of Ames and Des Moines to help (though they might) since that isn't their region...

But the reason I was replying- Nebraska is in Southwesterns? That is a weird name for that region... (then again, in Iowa we are Upper Great Lakes, and it only barely makes sense, by the time you get to the Dakotas it makes none at all... Of course, I just found out Alabama is in Eastern Great Lakes... The regions make sense just fine- but the names, none at all.)

17. Carolla5501

FYI

Omaha is in San Jose selling. Pick your seat, avoid the fees

18. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

There will be three ice surfaces in the Century Link: The main arena surface for the novice-junior-senior events, one for juvenile-intermediate events, and one for practice ice. I'm not sure, can't remember right now (and I tried calling my mom to ask her (she's in San Jose currently) but she isn't answering her phone...), but the juvenile-intermediate surface might be their competition and practice. I honestly don't remember, sorry! When I talk to my mom, I'll post on here if I remember.

Edit: I had just finished submitting this when my mom called, and so I asked her, and she said there was a reception a couple hours for people involved in 2013 Omaha Nationals, and they talked about planning and stuff. Everything I said above is wrong :O Now, they will be using the older, smaller Civic Auditorium (still a very nice facility) for the juvenile-intermediate events, and only one surface there, for practice and competition. There will be the large arena surface and a temporary surface in the Century Link for novice-junior-senior events, one rink for practice and the other for competition. No worries though- Apparently there will be a shuttle bus between the Civic and the Century Link, and it's not even a mile away, takes about 5 minutes in bad traffic to drive, and less than 15 minutes to walk.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  19. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

I would expect Kansas City and St. Joseph to be more willing than Ames and Des Moines, it's about the same distance from all four to Omaha. And the skating clubs here in Omaha are closer to SJFSC (St. Joe) and KCFSC (Kansas City) than to Ames or Des Moines. I don't even know their club names....

I don't get the regions either, it's just weird. Even St. Joseph skaters go to Southwesterns, and they're in Missouri! We have to drive at least 8 hours to get to Regionals if we go when it's in Colorado (SW Regionals alternates between Texas and Colorado, basically. Nowhere else in the region is big enough to support it.), and a lot more than that if it's in Texas. I hate being on the edge of the region. :(

You're in Iowa? I assume that's why the Ames and Des Moines references? If so, random question that belongs in the trash can- are you competing at Omaha Winterfestival in four weeks?

20. stejoho40

stejoho40 Active Member

Thanks Julianaqtpa. I wonder when they will actually have a schedule.

21. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

We aren't sure if I'll be able to volunteer in any way- apparently the sweepers must be 8-15 (this is tentative, it could change within the next 10 months or whatever) years old, and I'll turn 16 in December 2012. If they say the age is as of the competition, I'll be able to be a sweeper (assuming I make it past the tryouts... They probably want little skaters, and I'm the same level as some of the competitors, and at least 2 years older than the oldest Juvenile skaters....). If not, then there will be absolutely NOTHING I can do to volunteer. Nothing. And most of our skaters who are steady enough to be sweepers will be too old to be a sweeper, and not old enough to be an official volunteer! UGH sorry, just ranting. Anyways, the point of this was to say that my family and I bought four weekend passes! We got THIRD FREAKING ROW seats for only $217 each or something crazy like that! We just decided to get them while they were a good price and available, so yay!

For all you local people, there will be a special on NBC local news this Monday night, the 30th, on the 10pm news, about the local skating community and Nationals next year. They interviewed me :D Watch for it!

22. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

There's a tentative schedule for regular national events, right here.

I do wonder when the Junior National event schedule will be announced, I'd like to know.

I really want to go to Regionals at Intermediate level this fall and at least try for Sectionals and then Nationals, it would be amazing if I could make it... But I know it's very unlikely I would.

23. stejoho40

stejoho40 Active Member

Well you never know! Good luck to you. It would be great if you could make it to Nationals since its in your town. The daughter of a friend of mine was first alternate in juveniles this year and I'm really hoping she makes it next year because my husband and I met in Omaha and it would be fun to go back.

24. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on the news bit! My mom and I got third row weekend seats at that same price!! So excited!!! Now I have to find the money to pay her for mine over the course of the next year.

25. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

It would be amazing, but unlikely, I'm not that great of a skater, I'll compete Open Juvenile for the 1st time in a couple weeks.... There are a couple skaters who I think could make it to Nationals, mainly because one in particular is landing triple-triples (triple loop-triple toe mostly) in practice and competing Juvenile....

This is trash can material. Sorry :O

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Re-posting the following from the 2014 Nationals thread since they're relevant to this one:

27. gingerice

gingerice New Member

Have the announced auditions for award presenters? Those skaters/volunteers are usually older and might be a perfect fit for our omaha poster.

28. acraven

acraven Active Member

Thanks to a heads-up from Sylvia, I can post this link to a USFS press release with some tentative information about Juvenile and Intermediate events in Omaha: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48274&type=media

The release gives tentative dates of Thursday, January 24, through Sunday, January 28, for the the Juv/Int events. Competitive sessions will be held at the Omaha Civic Auditorium; practices, at the Omaha Convention Center, where the higher-level events will also take place.

I haven't checked a map, but julianaqtpi stated upthread that the two venues are less than a 15-minute walk apart.

29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I hope these sessions will be broadcasted...I'm always very interested in watching the future of US skating!

30. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

Is that the expected date range for the Championship events? If so I wonder how much coverage they'll devote to juveniles and intermediates.