2013 Nationals in Omaha to include Juvenile and Intermediate Nationals, too

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by barbk, Aug 11, 2011.

1. acraven

acraven Active Member

The tentative schedule for novice, junior, and senior (championship) events is here: http://www.2013uschampionships.com/event-info/

I don't expect any TV coverage of juveniles and intermediates, but IceNetwork should provide full coverage.
  2. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

What about having adult nationals at the same time? :dog: :rollin:
  3. CoralReef

CoralReef New Member

Thats true since Ice Network does not show the championship events live. Could be interesting watching the seniors on television and the younger skaters on computer. Hopefully they have enough equipment to be spread out over two rinks and this will not be a burden for Omaha. I guess I'm not seeing exactly how this is a good thing for junior nationals. Seems instead of having a stand alone event that attracts its own spectators, they now have to compete for fans and exposure with the seniors. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.
  4. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

It's better than them canceling it altogether (which has been brought up as a possibility off and on). The problem is that the event didn't make enough money to be attractive for clubs to bid on. The only spectators it attracted were family & friends of the competitors and local skaters. Now they'll have people who are already there for Nationals who might check them out. I bet they get more exposure, not less.
  5. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I would never expect that to be a consideration under the current US Figure Skating Adult Nationals structure. ANs requires 3 rink surfaces, going non-stop 18+ hour days, for 4 days (+ two rinks of practice ice the day prior, at least one rink of practice ice the day before that).

With many adults training at seasonal rinks, it’s ideal in the grand scheme of things to keep it in April for that population. If you want to watch us skate, catch us on icenetwork… or get your skates on, get training, and join us! ;)
  6. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

^^ This.

Adding the “Junior Nationals” Juvenile and Intermediate levels allows for a two-way street of exposure. The skaters/parents/coaches of the Juv/Int level skaters can be exposed to the “big time” Novice-Senior levels of nationals, and watch first hand what the competition is like for the more advanced levels. It gives those younger skaters (and parents) an opportunity to meet a several great mentors, form friendships, etc.

And likewise, it gives the fans / ticket-purchasing-population a chance to see the up-and-comers and gain a better understanding of the development of our athletes, as well as have an option to watch the potential ‘future stars’ of our sport instead of watching practice ice elsewhere for the Novice-Senior athletes.

I don’t think the increased exposure for the fans watching Juvenile/Intermediate competitors will be all that significant, but it’ll be more than when it was it’s own Junior Nationals event. MacMadame is right –in the past, the audience for JNs has been family, other skaters, and local friends/skaters. Very minimal crowd, as you can see if you watch the videos on icenetwork.
  7. leafygreens

I was thinking more along the lines of, it would make the adult skaters feel more inclusive. But then that would also mean having synchro nationals at the same time, if everyone were to be included. It would be a two week event and probably hard to find a venue to hold that capacity. Just a thought.
  8. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I can't think of a skating club/council/etc. that could handle a marathon of regular nationals, Synchro nationals, and adult nationals all in one singular event. It's an interesting thought, but it honestly would logistical nightmare. Especially considering combining synchro in with regular nationals -- as their practice, warm-ups, and locker room needs are very different than regular nationals.

US Figure Skating also national events for:
    U.S. Championships (Juvenile-Senior levels now)
    Synchro Nationals,
    Adult Nationals,
    Theater on Ice,
    National Showcase,
    Collegiate Nationals (singles / pairs / dance individual entries),
    Collegiate team national competition (where a team of individuals representing a school compete as a team for points, if I'm not mistaken),
    National Solo Dance Championships,
    And I'm sure I'm forgetting something else...

Just as with Adult Nationals and Synchro nationals, each individual skating population is very different than the Juvenile-Senior Nationals population... and each program/offering by US Figure Skating serves a very different purpose than that of the Juvenile-Senior Nationals population.

Juvenile-Senior U.S. National Championships being combined is pretty logically as they are all skaters ultimately working towards hopefully being international level competitors.

Otherwise, given the size, scope, and very different needs/considerations of each of these very different 'National' events listed above, I think at this time it's wise that US Figure Skating keeps them separate and at very different times of the year.

In my meager 6 active years competing and chatting with other U.S. adults at nationals, I've yet to hear of anyone wishing ANs was part of the Novice-Senior US National Championships (now, that'd be the Juvenile-Senior US National Championships). It's a very different atmosphere at ANs. I can't speak for everyone, but when similar topics have come up I think a significant portion of the ANs population (maybe a majority?) really appreciate being segregated from "the kids" for our own Sectionals and Nationals. Even if it's a "hey, it would be awfully nice for the Championship adult events to take place with "the real" nationals" thought that some people may have... I think most active adult competitors realize that ANs is a very intensive competition to put on (in terms of the number of officials needed, ice time, practice ice, volunteers, hotels, etc.), and we're frankly just grateful to have our own special event that is still running strong here in the US -- and thus we're A-okay with it just the way it is. :)
  9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I think the only way that adults would be included at the standard-track Nationals would be if they took only the skaters who qualified through sectionals for the championship masters and gold events. Which would probably be all or almost all the adult pairs and dance teams in the country, many of whom would have byes through sectionals for lack of competition.

But would that mean that adults who don't qualify for the championships could compete only at sectionals and not have the nonqualifying parts of the national competition, which is the highlight of the season for many adult competitors?
  10. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Not mention just by adding the Juvenile and Intermediate Nationals, the USFS has already added on quite an extra tab to the all-event tickets (close to $1000 for the top all-event ticket :yikes: ), and even if you wanted to see all the skating, I am not sure that would be possible with the schedule. The event would have to be days longer to include Adult Nationals, and with that would come vastly increased costs... which would likely get passed on to the spectators.
  11. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

The Championship Masters and Gold events only account for 8 events at Adult Nationals.

There are generally over 100-125+ individual events at Adult Nationals. Those who do not qualify for championship events, would still be able to compete in the non-qualifying, non-championship events held at Adult Nationals (the other 120 or so events) – as many already do. (Ie. A Gold Lady who qualifies for Championship Gold Ladies Free Skate at Sectionals can enter up to 4 events total at Adult Nationals… so in addition to the Championship Gold Ladies Free Skate she qualified for at Sectionals, she may choose to do her age-class “open” non-qualifying Gold Ladies Free Skate, enter Couples Dance (if she has a partner), enter Pairs (if she has a partner), enter a Solo Dance event, enter an Artistic/Dramatic interpretive, and/or enter a Light Entertainment/Comedy interpretive. – as long as she is entered in 4 or less events).

Since many skaters who enter/qualify in the Championship events enter additional non-qualifying events at ANs, separating Adult Championship events from normal ANs would mean those competitors would have to compete at one additional competition – which is extra cost, vacation days from work, and time away from families… or make a choice… and many/most adult skaters have lives which do not center around skating exclusively, so it would be tough on many adult athletes.

Plus, the Championship events are one of the main highlights for all of the ANs competitors to come together and watch – taking them out of Adult Nationals would just be a disservice to the spirit of Adult Nationals in general. Also, the entire adult competitive season would also have to be re-aligned, as Adult Sectionals take place in late Feb/March, and Adult Nationals in Mid-April. In the current competitive schedule for U.S. Figure skating adult events, many/most Championship level adults may not be ready to compete in a qualifying event in November/December, and a Nationals in January. Quite a few do not train year-round.

I haven’t heard any rumblings in the past 5 of years of U.S. Figure Skating, the Adult Committee, or even adult skaters at large really -- talking about a demand to include any/all of Adult Nationals with the standard U.S. Championships (for what is now Juvenile-Senior levels). It's not broke. Let's not 'fix' it on a fans whim. ;)

As I mentioned above, U.S. Figure Skating has SEVERAL national events -- each for a different program (or focus) of U.S. Figure Skating. Given the size, scope, and very different needs/considerations of each of these very different national events listed above, I think at this time it's wise that US Figure Skating keeps them separate and at different times of the year. It just doesn’t make sense to start combining all the national programs on a whim.

There was much more logic to the simple alignment of adding the Juvenile & Intermediate “Junior Nationals” to the U.S. Championships for Novice-Senior levels -- since those levels all still fall under the same 'program' of U.S. Figure Skating. (Unlike National Solo Dance, Synchro, Theater On Ice, Adults, etc.)
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  12. leafygreens

But the adults could be on TV if they were with regular nationals. :D
  13. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

You're assuming that NBC (or other network) would be interested in paying for the rights to broadcast it. Given that NBC isn't even interested in the Novice or Junior events, I doubt they would want to shell out money and commit air time to broadcasting AN.

I think it makes perfect sense to have AN in April, like it is now.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

15. Bookslut

Bookslut Member

I just looked at the website and right now they are selling all event and championship weekend tickets. Does anyone have any idea if there is a plan to sell individual session tickets before the sale to the general public?
  16. lamarenee

lamarenee Active Member

My understanding is that single-session tickets will go on sale the week of September 17th, most likely Wednesday September 19th. But there should be an official announcement soon.
  17. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Single event tickets are on sale according to the email I got today. There is a presale code........so here's a clue...

What City are the Nationals being held in?