2013 Nationals in Omaha to include Juvenile and Intermediate Nationals, too

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by barbk, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

A couple of suggestions. Always try the AAA rate if you have the card. They generally leave that rate loaded year round so... bingo! savings. Or call and ask. Did that a few years ago, which I normally don't do and got some weekend rate for $100 and had to pay the "event rate" for the weekdays. (This was one of the hotels in Cleveland that was connected to the arena via that mall, don't recall the name) Don't be afraid to have several reservations. Even in Greensboro I had 2 reservations for the same room/hotel. One night was a free night and the rest were paid.

And then there is my "last chance" For several Nationals I have done Hotwire just before the event. If you study up you can figure out the hotel and I have gotten either the offical hotel or "nice" hotels near the offical hotel for a fraction of the rate. But to do this you have to be brave and cannot be booked with a "cancel 10 days in advance rate" (Hotwire does work better for big cities. Got a great hotel in LA for both nationals and Worlds for example)

Sometimes my "holding" rate is higher then the offical rate. I am willing to do that because I have almost always found a deal close to the event and I would rather have the easy cancellation rules when that happens. I didn't do that last week for a convention in Houston and got screwed. Could have gotten a hotel half a block away from my Hilton for $100 but paid $190 for the Hilton! :( It had a 15 day cancel policy for the convention, but the time I found the 'deal' I was past the cancel date!

2. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

3. acraven

acraven Active Member

Omaha will NOT have a shuttle for fans. This information was provided by an employee of Destination Phoenix, which is apparently the event-management firm handling Omaha Nationals (or at least the hotel reservation part of the event). As indicated on the hotel-reservation web page, all the hotels have complimentary shuttles.

I'm disappointed about this. Hotel shuttles don't have a lot of capacity, and there will probably be issues when everyone wants to go to the arena at the same time, especially if the city gets hit with snow and/or ice.

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Have there been clubs in the NE bidding for the event?

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Yes, SC of Boston made a bid for 2010 Nationals to be held in Providence, Rhode Island but lost out to Spokane, WA.

ETA: I didn't see a link posted in this thread to the 11/21 USFS press release about all-event tickets going on sale: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=47464&type=media

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

There are a large number of hotels within walking distance to the arena. These hotels also have shuttles. I would wait and see what happens regarding shuttles/walking etc.

I'm sorry that the US Nationals isn't coming up to your standards. I suspect that if you go to this website Omaha Sports Commission and post a question or comment, they will get back to you or at least acknowledge your concerns.

Omaha has hosted the College Worlds Series since 1950 - the move of the stadium across the street from the Century Link arena where the skating competitions will be held has been the spark for building many hotels in the area surrounding the Century Link arena. Even if you choose to stay in a hotel nearer the airport (approximately a 10 minute drive from the arena, if there is lots of traffic) they have shuttles that I am sure would take you back and forth to the arena.

Omaha has hosted the Olympic Swimming Trials both in 2008 and again in 2012. For both of those events a FULL SIZE OLYMPIC pool and practice pools have been built within the arena.

Omaha has hosted the NCAA women's volleyball tournament. During winter weather.

The hotels are accustom to large number of sports visitors. Maybe it is because I have lived here all my life, but I don't think of Omaha as particularly hilly. Sure there are some hills and the interstate can be a bit tricky during snow - most cities in northern part of the US can have those issues.

If you are booking a hotel and not sure the distance to the arena, PM me when you have that information and I can give an idea of where it is located to the arena, the potential driving distances, or walking distances and the lighting around the area that you would be walking etc.

7. acraven

acraven Active Member

I have nothing against Omaha, and I agree that there are a lot of hotels within what I normally consider walking distance. And the Old Market area sounds enticing. But it is Omaha in January, and getting back and forth between the hotel and the arena is a concern. I've experienced Nationals in Kansas City, St. Paul, and Minneapolis. I'll consider myself extremely lucky if all we face in Omaha is bitter cold, not ice and packed snow on the sidewalks.

I do plan to walk between hotel and arena, but I'd like the option of using a shuttle if the weather turns hazardous. I don't want to have to fight with dozens of other people to get on a little hotel shuttle, nor will I count on their keeping those shuttles circulating constantly between hotel and arena from early morning till late at night. Won't shuttles have to be diverted for airport runs? Free airport transportation is very nice; I'm sure we'll all want to take advantage of it. Bottom line: For me, the hotel shuttles are in the "might be helpful at some point" category, definitely not something I can count on.

8. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

numbers, what's the public transportation like in Omaha? If they're not going to offer a shuttle, which absolutely boggles my mind because every single one of the eleven Nationals I've attended has had a shuttle system, then the city should have a good public bus system that runs early and late. I totally agree with Ann that hotel shuttles are nice, but they don't usually run on a reliable schedule like a Nationals-only transportation system.

9. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

When I reviewed the list of official hotels (which IIRC is where the official shuttles go to, right?), most of them are within a 5-14 block radius of the arena.

I don't use the MAT system because I live too far away to know what it runs like at night, but like I said the hotels listed on the site are generally in a 1 mile radius of the arena

10. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The Marriott is the closest (other than the Hilton) and is right down the road from the arena. Most of the others (except for the Fairfield and the Magnolia) are within a 10-13 minute walk. But that could be a very difficult walk on snowy/icy streets.

11. Carolla5501

Has every Nationals had shuttles? Honestly I rarely bother to buy the ticket because I just don't find it worth it so...I just don't know. I did buy one in Spokane but...didn't in Greensboro, didn't in St Paul, don't recall for a lot of other cities, but really I think the only ones I bought and used were Los Angeles and Spokane (and even in LA it was just too much trouble at night so I walked home) Can't really see a good reason to buy one in San Jose either.

12. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Since 2001, the only one I think didn't have a shuttle was Portland because they have the free light rail. Not sure about Cleveland because my hotel was connected to the arena.

13. Carolla5501

So wonder why USFSA didn't make that a requirement...

Oh wait, the fans will come regardless of what they do (Right?) :lol: So there's no need to make it easy on them.....:D

14. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

I'm pretty sure there will be shuttle transportation from the other official hotels other than the Hilton, but I'm not totally sure, and my mom isn't home right now, so I can't ask.:blah:

Thanks, I'm probably going to be an official fan. :D Haha, just kidding, I'll be the ancient minus cute-factor sweeper. :hat1: I'm short, I can pull it off.... Emote overload!

15. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Are you from Nebraska too? You said "we".... :eek:

16. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

:eek: Omaha person! Are you a skater? Chances are, I know you....

17. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

:eek: Omaha peep! If you're a skater, like I've said already to other people, I most likely know you!

18. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Spaghetti Works and Upstream. The Upstream in West Omaha is about 5 minutes in traffic from my house, so it's very convenient. And the root beer is so good, for those of you underage like me! Their food in general is excellent. And I've never been to the French Cafe, but it's my mom's favorite restaurant.

19. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

It depends on how they do it. I've done events where the hotels knew what was up and ran extra shuttles and shuttles at special times. (For example, having them at 5am to get you to the start of a race and starting the free breakfast at 4am on top of it) I've also done events where the hotel was clueless -- the "free breakfast" started 2 hours after the race, no extra shuttles at the appropriate times.

If it was me, I'd call the hotels I was interested in and ask what their plans are and pick the hotel with the best shuttle plan. :D

20. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

In your entire post, you said everything I wanted to say to that person! I refrained, however, because I'm kinda timid to talk back to people on here, since I'm new, and pretty young compared to a lot of the posters. Yeah, it's a great opportunity for the city, we're all so excited, my mom told me as soon as she found out that we got it, and then my coach told my whole group class that night, and the press release was the next morning, so when my coach told us, all 10 of us were jumping up and down (on the ice!) and shrieking. Granted, they're mostly 7-11 yrs old, but it's so exciting!

21. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Cleveland had a shuttle, but most hotels were very close to the arena. I didn't buy a shuttle pass b/c I was at the Radisson across the street, and all of the events and most practices were at the main arena - I think there were only a couple practices I would have attended at the practice rink, so I didn't bother. And I remember that the ride to the practice rink was extra long b/c of construction or something like that, so that was another reason to avoid it.

If they're not having a shuttle for spectators in Omaha, I guess that the practice rink won't be open to the public. That is disappointing considering all-event ticket holders are supposed to be able to watch any and all practices.

22. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Same here! I've lived in Omaha as long as I can remember, and I don't think of it as that hilly. The only really hilly part I can think of is the West Dodge Expressway, and that's really not that bad anyways. And you don't use that to get downtown really anyways....

23. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

The bus system is the MAT, Metro Area Transit, and it's not awful, but not something I would use regularly. It's about what you can expect for a city with a metro area of about 800,000 roughly, and half a million in city limits. So I would use it if your hotel is less than three miles away or so, and if not, I wouldn't rely on it. Lots of delays, lacking cleanliness, etc.

24. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

I apologize to everyone for flooding like a whole page with replies, SORRY!

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

You can always learn how to use the multi-quote feature :) (it's the button to the right of the Quote button). It's :cool: to see a teenage skater like you so excited for Nationals in your hometown.

26. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I do skate, but I haven't in quite awhile. :)

The public transportation around downtown is fine. When I had jury duty, I rode the bus rather than pay ridiculous parking fees, and they ran frequently and on time. And that was in January. We do occasionally have a snowpacalypse in Omaha ;), but again, the city is very good with clearing the main roads.

There is even a bus that circulates downtown only! OMG!!!!!

Is there this much whining about the host city every year?

27. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Pretty much. Even when Nationals get held in a city that has a reputation for doing a good job, people complain because the location isn't convenient for them.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Your excitement is making me want to go!

29. Carolla5501

Yes.

If the Nationals are not in their back yard whining will occur LOL!

This year it's mainly limited to "California got both SA and Nationals" but.... it comes and goes.

Some posters are ONLY happy when they can stay home and go to Nationals. Don't let it get to you :)

Personally I am fine whereever as long as it's not Lake Placid. I am sure it's lovely, but when I can get to Paris France quicker IMHO that's an issue LOL!

(I am already whining over 2014, but that's due to the insanely stupid scheduling, not the location..)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member