2013 Nationals in Omaha to include Juvenile and Intermediate Nationals, too

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by barbk, Aug 11, 2011.

1. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

:) There's just a lot of "omg...it's in Omaha" going on in this thread. Omaha is actually pretty fantastic. We live just 25 minutes or so straight north and go for shopping, entertainment, etc...

2. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

The bid package deadline for 2014 is February 2nd. The tentative event dates are December 31st - January 9th, so it appears they will not be repeating the two weekend schedule as they did for the last Olympic year.

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

When I attended US and Canadian Nationals in 1994, a premium all event ticket for Detroit was $140 and $80 for Edmonton.

$965 is ridiculous, considering 2012 Canadians are $180.

No wonder stadiums are empty.

4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Those dates are the best news ever!!!!! I've been hoping for them to move Nats closer to the beginning of January like it used to be.

5. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

^ First night in Boston is great (just saying ;) )

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  6. TanithandBenFan

I'm crossing my fingers for Boston! I have quite the love affair with that city. :) It would be amazing to celebrate New Year's there.

7. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

the prices for worlds next year is similar in London..no offence to lovely Omaha but i think i would prefer going to World Championships:shuffle:

8. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

You get more skating a Nationals though. (And someone has to pay for all the ice.)

9. TanithandBenFan

Yeah but London is a total PITA to get to and it sounds like the hotel situation won't be good. Still don't know what Skate Canada was thinking when they bid London as a host.

10. Proustable

Proustable New Member

They wanted the entire town of Ilderton to fit in the arena (aka, ensure that V/M will be there?)

11. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

You may be able to buy your tickets right away. I bought my Dallas Nats all-event tickets at the box office & I think it was while the pre-sale was going on. If you're buying a block of seats it's so much easier to do it in person.

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Nationals is always earlier in Olympic years.

But before Four Continents was a consideration, it was often in February in non-Olympic years.

13. TanithandBenFan

Spokane 2010 was mid-late January, around the same time as recent Nationals.

14. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Yes! Sorry, but they KNOW they can get more and will charge it!

LOL!

It's not sold out and probably won't be. 1. Hotel chains don't "load" their rooms/rates this early. 2. USFSA and the tour groups ALWAYS wind up giving back rooms. I have stayed at the "offical" hotel at lot of Nationals where they said it was "sold out" If you want to pay the price just keep checking! It will sell out but it's not "sold out" today. (Heck I could have moved to the Shearton at any point in Greensboro last year but it's a dump IMHO) The only "sold out" hotel for San Jose according to thier website is the Marriott, which can be booked on Marriott.com

15. TanithandBenFan

Marriott.com doesn't show any rooms available in San Jose for the Nationals dates and it hasn't since last January. I've played this game many times, too. ;) I thought the Sheraton in Greensboro was very nice. Hope that city and hotel hosts again sometime.

16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

There are many hotels within walking distance of the arena (within a 10 - 15 block radius). If you head towards the Old Market area or even to slightly west of the arena, there will be good lighting and plenty of people walking to their cars. As Princess indicated many of the downtown or mid-town hotels have shuttles. While the Hilton may be the main hotel for skaters, judges, press etc. there can be plenty of lobby chicking in the arena walkways/concourse. The Old Market area has many restaurants and bars that will most likely be frequented by skaters/families/etc.

Winter is unpredictable. Living here all my life, there have been usually warm Januarys, colder than usual Januarys, no snow/ice Januarys, lots of snow/ice. I wouldn't begin to predict what the weather will be like, because if you don't like the weather it will change in a half-hour :). January weather can be unpredictable in any place. Remember the cold snap in Atlanta, the ice storm in Portland,?

17. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

There are great restaurants in the Old Market district for you to all look forward to...a link:

http://www.oldmarket.com/dining.asp

Higher priced places on that list that we love: Nicola's Italian, The Flatiron, and the French Cafe

Mid-priced: M's Pubb, La Buvette (for wine, breads, cheeses--amazing wine list there), Stokes, Upstream (microbrews for beer lovers), Zio's Pizza (really cheap lunches!), and Spaghetti Works.

For bakery items: Wheatfield's is to die for.

I'll be back to remind you all in a year! :) Seriously, you'll like Omaha.

18. Carolla5501

Just looked and it showed me a room at $299 a night for Wed through Sunday.... Would I pay that??? No, but I did book via Marriott.com earlier and got a better rate then the "official" website.

19. TanithandBenFan

Do you have a special corporate code because I checked for Wed-Sun, too, and got nothing. I booked a long time ago but have been checking for friends.

20. Carolla5501

Nope, I wasn't even logged into the webpage. Maybe it sold out between when I checked and you did. As I said it was $300 a night so... not sure it's worth it! (I don't think it's THAT nice a Marriott!) Are you trying to get more then one room? Sometimes that will mess you up. If they just have one room and you want two it will show "sold out"

However, the website does appear to be incorrect as i was just told the Hilton is sold out and that doesn't show on the web.

My experience has been that you have a group of cancellations about now and another right after the holidays (probably when folks realize that they should have bought airfare and now it's going to cost LOTS of money?) So I would keep checking.

(I did just check and this time it didn't come up, but I expect it will come back. Heck my room may become available. Job change may prevent this trip from happening... will let you know if that happens and you can have the room)

21. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I just went out to the website and available rooms are only offered through November of 2012.

22. TanithandBenFan

Sorry for the confusion - we were talking about the Marriott in San Jose. :)

The 2013 Nationals website has gone live.

23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

When we went to Omaha (just for a long weekend vacation- we wanted to go somewhere fun within driving distance) we went to dinner at http://www.levoltaireomaha.com/ and it was amazing! Kind of far away from the "downtown" area- but if you have a car, and the crazy highways aren't icy (seriously- I live in the midwest, but how do they keep those clean? They are roller coaster hills) it is well worth the drive. Amazing food. I want to go back!

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think a city like Omaha is kind of perfect for skating competitions. There are tourist attractions to see and restaurants to eat in if you don't feel like watching practices or all of the events. But it isn't a major tourist city where I would be torn between attending practices or novice skating and seeing more of the city. And it isn't so small that it is hard to find restaurants open. That is why I liked Greensboro. There were some nice galleries and craft shops downtown, restaurants were open -- but I didn't feel the need to see more of the city instead of going to the events, practices, going to the gym, or just taking a nap. Nationals is a lot of skating!

25. Carolla5501

Does anyone know if they will be selling tickets at the San Jose Nationals? Might be a way to avoid those Ticket Master fees. (I will be waiting to see just in case)

26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Well, I checked out the prices for hotel rooms for January, 2012 and compared them to the prices cited on the Omaha, NEB 2013 Nationals website and they are charging what they believe the market will bear.

Hotel Current January Next January

Hilton $113 $152
    Doubletree $127 $149
    Hampton Inn $ 84 $134
    Hilton Gardens $134 $159

So much for a less expensive Nationals given the location and all of the other factors, i.e. no or few direct flights from the Northeast and relative high ticket prices. And, I was annoyed at San Jose! 2014 better be on the East coast and preferably Boston or a surrogate city!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  27. acraven

acraven Active Member

I'm not surprised that normal mid-winter rates in Omaha are a lot lower. For Nationals we always seem to get the disadvantage of a big event (high demand, fixed supply) and none of the advantages that could come from negotiating rates. (Boston was an exception; the LOC did a fabulous job of negotiating hotel rates, so it can be done.) I always try to book really early, before every hotel in the area knows about the event. Omaha foiled that strategy by putting the hotel list together so far in advance.

The cancellation policies are also a concern. There's a lot of verbiage that probably applies only to block bookings, but I can't be sure. When you're reserving under a group rate (albeit one that's overpriced), do "individual" cancellation penalties apply to you? What if you are booking 3 rooms, or 6? If we're all booking as individuals, why are all those horrendous penalties even mentioined? I've never seen language like this when booking for Nationals, and I'm certainly not risking a 100% penalty (nearly $2000) if I have to cancel about 30 days out. I'm seeking clarification, but they don't make it easy: The telephone number at the bottom of the hotel list .pdf goes to a fax machine.

28. Carolla5501

Personally I would not book this early and practically NEVER book via the "official" method.

The "official" method generally has a much worse cancellation clause then you find at a hotel website. Not to mention that often the hotel does not make 100% of the rooms avaialble which means... cheaper rooms on thier website. (I got my San Jose room cheaper then via the "offical" site. Cancellation is day of arrival instead of several days in advance, no deposit just a credit card gurantee etc....)

And that website is a DISASTER> They just copied the contract from the hotels under cancellation. There is NO way I would book via that website with that terminology in there.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  29. acraven

acraven Active Member

I haven't been able to beat the official rates once the hotels know about the event; perhaps I've just been unlucky in the days I've checked for openings. I'm typically looking for a reasonably priced hotel within 1/2 mile of the arena, which somewhat limits my options. It helps if you're willing to risk being farther away and driving back and forth, but I don't want to do that.

Having scored the last available room in the city for Providence Nationals, at a bed-and-breakfast that was a long, lonely, cold walk from the arena, I'm nervous until I have a reservation at a hotel near the arena.

30. Carolla5501

Or what??? you will come on here and whine?

I did a comparison of my costs.

Tickets For the same seat it's actually CHEAPER for me to go to Omaha (excluding Ticketmaster fees) I have a seat in the corner at San Jose $502. Same seat in Omaha $485. Hotel. Hilton $159 a night in San Jose vs $152 in Omaha (per official websites) Cheapest airfare for the week of Nationals in January 2011 $390 to San Jose $379 to Omaha. (Can't check 2013 fares yet)

Is it cheaper? No. Is it dramatically higher for me to go to Omaha? No. Did anyone promise it would be cheaper or was there just an "assumption"? I don't recall seeing this sold as "cheaper"

I realize that the NE would be better for you, but sadly you are one person and what's good for you may not be good for someone else. :rolleyes: Somewhere in this thread there's a poster from Omaha. This is a great event for her.